Can Units fire when loaded?

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

Post Reply
mheard
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:37 pm

Can Units fire when loaded?

Post by mheard »

Technically, is there any reason why a loaded unit (other than artillery) cannot fire? How difficult would it be to allow this to happen?

Thanks,





Martin Heard[/b]
Borst50
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:00 pm

RE: Can Units fire when loaded?

Post by Borst50 »

as it stands now...no...

how difficult is problematic. but think about it...a halftrack carrying a squad of infantry is a prime target. the halftrack can fire, but the unit it is carrying cant. in retrospect, i think this is correct. imagine you are on a truck being transported to the staging area....if you are attacked...you'll die....

WWII was not like modern warefare...in that you have armoured personell carriers...the vast majority of transport was to a central location...disembark...form up...and move out. there were exceptions...yes....recce units.....but...witness the higher number of casulties there.

so all in all i think the game is correct in its representation.
mheard
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:37 pm

RE: Can Units fire when loaded?

Post by mheard »

I didn’t think that any unit could fire when loaded but I want to make absolutely sure that is the case for all three games.

Borst50 – Actually I agree with you 100%. The rules as they are fine and I’m not advocating any change here.

I do want to know if ‘technically’ a loaded unit can fire and how easy/difficult it would be to put this change in. The reason for this is that I am working through in my head (tiny brain unfortunately) some ideas regarding hex fortifications.

So, if you or anyone knows the answer please let me know.

Thanks,


Martin Heard
User avatar
MrRoadrunner
Posts: 1323
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:25 pm

RE: Can Units fire when loaded?

Post by MrRoadrunner »

Your question is answered on page 52 of the game manual, section 5.11.
 
RR
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
mheard
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:37 pm

RE: Can Units fire when loaded?

Post by mheard »

I didn’t think that any unit could fire when loaded but I want to make absolutely sure that is the case for all three games.

Borst50 – Actually I agree with you 100%. The rules as they are fine and I’m not advocating any change here.

I do want to know if ‘technically’ a loaded unit can fire and how easy/difficult it would be to put this change in. The reason for this is that I am working through in my head (tiny brain unfortunately) some ideas regarding hex fortifications.

RRoadrunner - not sure if your response referring to the games manual 5.11 was without reference to this post of mine but...

Loud and clear - passengers cannot fire whilst loaded. But I want to know if the game program can be changed so that certain loaded unts could. If so, how difficult would this be? I have no intention of making the suggestion that the present rule be changed with regard to the currently existing transport and passenger untits.

Thanks,

Martin Heard
User avatar
MrRoadrunner
Posts: 1323
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:25 pm

RE: Can Units fire when loaded?

Post by MrRoadrunner »

I thought you wanted to know if they could shoot while loaded?
And, I am not privy to what updates may occur regarding loaded units firing.
I think that combat HT's did allow for firing while riding but, I am not fully sure that it was simply factored into assaults.
Surely accuracy would be an issue if they are allowed to direct fire?

Beyond that we will need to hear from Jason or one of the other developers from the "inner circle"?

RR
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
mheard
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:37 pm

RE: Can Units fire when loaded?

Post by mheard »

Sorry RR - I didn't mean to be terse or rude with my reply to you.[:)]

I thought Jason would be the person to know. However, I wondered if anyone out there can recall if this question has come up before and what was the result of any following debate.

Thanks for your response to me though.

Martin Heard
User avatar
MrRoadrunner
Posts: 1323
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:25 pm

RE: Can Units fire when loaded?

Post by MrRoadrunner »

ORIGINAL: mheard

I didn’t think that any unit could fire when loaded but I want to make absolutely sure that is the case for all three games. <snip>

So, if you or anyone knows the answer please let me know.

Hi Martin,

I did not see your comments as terse or rude. I was simply responding to your questions and comments. In the bold above you wanted to make sure they could not fire. I found it in the manual and posted the page and section.
Though, your inititial question was could or would the team make a change so that loaded units could fire, and I pointed out that I am not part of the team and am not privy to what they may do in future updates.
I also pointed out that the effectiveness of firing while loaded may not garner enough effect in the game to make it worth the effort.
The questions can be, "was it done in real life situations", "was if effective in combat", "should it be included in future updates", and "is it worth the effort"?

Asking questions and trying to clarify comments is never a problem. I prefer clarity over all else. [:)]

Regards,

RR
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
&#8213; Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
Borst50
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:00 pm

RE: Can Units fire when loaded?

Post by Borst50 »

hehehehee.....for the sake of clarity....no...units while loaded cant fire. this is for all 3 games. will there be changes made for 1.5? in this respect, I dont think so. Has this topic ever come up before? Probably...but I personally havent seen any postings on this sybject before.

so it is my opinion, at least insofar as this topic is concerned, no changes will be made in 1.5.; i.e. units can not fire while loaded.

can the program be changed? probably....but the coder for matrix will have to do the work. the end user....you and me probably wont be able to change the code without messing up the entire game.
User avatar
kool_kat
Posts: 558
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:10 pm
Location: Clarksville, VA.

RE: Can Units fire when loaded?

Post by kool_kat »

ORIGINAL: mheard
Loud and clear - passengers cannot fire whilst loaded. But I want to know if the game program can be changed so that certain loaded unts could. If so, how difficult would this be? I have no intention of making the suggestion that the present rule be changed with regard to the currently existing transport and passenger untits.

From a gaming standpoint, why would you want to have passengers firing from their transport units? [&:]

Would it not be suicide for a commander to drive truck or halftrack-mounted passengers within LOS and range of enemy units? [&:]

I'd love to play an opponent who wanted to utilize mounted troops in this fashion! [8D]

Regards, - Mike

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else." - Albert Einstein
Post Reply

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”