Smoke but no smoke!

New Recruits check in here! Vets debate the fine points! Tactics discussion, FAQ and "how-to" help.
If you are new to the SP:WaW community post an introduction please!

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
Oxtane
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2002 8:47 am
Location: United States, Nebraska
Contact:

Smoke but no smoke!

Post by Oxtane »

Ok, I have had this happen to me a couple of times and it is starting to make me mad. :mad: When I have a unit and I go to pop smoke with it (always inf units) I will press the "X" key or the button and click the hex next to the unit where I want the smoke. The unit turns and faces the direction but no smoke is dropped, then I usually get whacked by the unit that I was trying to hide from!:eek:

These units have no or almost no suppression, the smoke button is lit up, and I have smoke available to use. My question is has anyone else had this happen to them and why does this happen?
Image
Vitreum
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue May 14, 2002 6:47 am
Location: Chicagoland

Post by Vitreum »

My guess is the units are doing some kind of
"die roll task check" and failed.
Same thing happens occassionally when "assaulting"
a bunker, cave, mg nest etc.
The unit turns to fire, nothing happens, but suppression goes to 10 or 15 or 20.
Hit "R" a few times to rally and try again is what I do.
I have had the same thing happen when trying to smoke....OUCH!! that hurts....
User avatar
bigtroutz
Posts: 161
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Montana, USA

Post by bigtroutz »

heh, yep, i have had this happen to me lots as well....definitely a die roll thang


maybe it sux, but you have to live with it
Image
User avatar
Belisarius
Posts: 3099
Joined: Sat May 26, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Contact:

Post by Belisarius »

Doesn't it usually say something down in the..uh... event list?

It rings a bell with those cave/bunker assaults - nothing happens, but suppression jumps to 20-30. But the list displays "Assault failed" or something similar. It's like the troops were standing around it; "alright everybody, on the count of three! ... one!.... two! .... th...err.. nevermind, run awaaay!" :D :D

I have never failed to pop smoke. Although I have run out of smoke canisters all too many times. :p
Image
Got StuG?
Capt. Pixel
Posts: 1178
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: Smoke but no smoke!

Post by Capt. Pixel »

Originally posted by Oxtane
Ok, I have had this happen to me a couple of times and it is starting to make me mad. :mad: When I have a unit and I go to pop smoke with it (always inf units) I will press the "X" key or the button and click the hex next to the unit where I want the smoke. The unit turns and faces the direction but no smoke is dropped, then I usually get whacked by the unit that I was trying to hide from!:eek:
I've had this happen on more that a few occassions. I guess, too, that's it involves some sort of Morale Check.

Fortunes of War, eh Mate?? ;)
"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson
Ograbme
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon May 06, 2002 12:26 am
Location: California

Post by Ograbme »

If it's a morale check, wouldn't it succeed if morale was too low? Units pop smoke automaticly when fleeing.
D--n it, how he nicks 'em
Oh! This cursed Ograbme
Oxtane
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2002 8:47 am
Location: United States, Nebraska
Contact:

Smokem if ya have em...eer maybe not!

Post by Oxtane »

Ya, that doesn't make sense because when your unit is turning tails and makin for the rear they almost automatically pop smoke to cover the escape. So why can't my unit with no suppression or almost none fail?

One would think that a unit that has light suppression is going to be able to toss a smoke grenade over the rock he is pinned behind rather then the guy crying for his mom and running like a deer! :D
Image
User avatar
bigtroutz
Posts: 161
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Montana, USA

Post by bigtroutz »

it seems like auto-retreating units also have a dice roll for popping smoke AND they wont pop smoke if it will interfear will other unmoved units los.
Image
ivantheterrible
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2002 5:42 am
Location: Dallas

Post by ivantheterrible »

Just my personal take on this "phenomenon":

This happens to me once in a while too. It usually succeed if you try a second time (unless the unit got routed by enemy OP fire or something). I rationalize this behavior by imagining that, in such a case the enemy has spotted you and takes a quick shot at you while you're in the process of tossing out the smoke grenade -- it does take a few seconds for the smoke to blow up doesn't it? The bullet sometimes comes at you faster than smoke... :p
Gary Tatro
Posts: 1200
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2002 10:00 am
Location: MA, US

To cover the obvious

Post by Gary Tatro »

"Sargent tell the squad to fire smoke!"
"Ahh-Captain".
"Just do it Sargent"
"But Captain"
"Yes Sargent"
"We do not have any smoke ammo left!"


Now you did have smoke ammo left right?
"Are you going to do something or just stand there and bleed"
Oxtane
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2002 8:47 am
Location: United States, Nebraska
Contact:

Post by Oxtane »

"Uhhh, Captain?"
"Yes, Sergeant?"
"Well, the men have plenty of smoke sir, but it seems like they have forgotten how to use it!"
"Doh!"

Yes sir, they had smoke. That was one of the first things I checked to make sure I wasn't getting upset for nothing" :D
Image
User avatar
tracer
Posts: 1841
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2000 10:00 am
Location: New Smyrna Beach, FL USA
Contact:

Post by tracer »

I've been seeing this phenomenon for a long time, but I don't think it involves a die roll/morale check cuz I've had this happen many times to squads/tanks who are unsuppressed and do not even have a direct LOS to any enemy units! I guess they might have reached up to their web gear for a smoke grenade and threw their canteen instead :)
Jim NSB ImageImage
Post Reply

Return to “SP:WaW Training Center”