Almost a garrison!

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Post Reply
User avatar
irishman
Posts: 255
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:54 pm
Location: Emerald Isle

Almost a garrison!

Post by irishman »

Hi folks,

A quick query, I'm trying to meet garrison requirements in China but it's very awkward! If I miss the garrison requirement by a point or two is it the same as having no garrison at all? In some places I have much more than I need but, for instance, I have a 20 AV unit and an 80 AV (unsplittable) unit in a base with a 40 AV requirement! Is 20/40 treated the same as 0/40?
Thanks,

Irishman.
The greater the difficulty, the greater the glory - Cicero
User avatar
KenchiSulla
Posts: 2963
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:19 pm
Location: the Netherlands

RE: Almost a garrison!

Post by KenchiSulla »

Good question, couldn't answer it. Perhaps someone tested it. I do tend to keep cities well garrisoned if required just to prevent vp loss and supply problems.
AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor
User avatar
Shark7
Posts: 7936
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:11 pm
Location: The Big Nowhere

RE: Almost a garrison!

Post by Shark7 »

You will suffer VP losses and AF/Port damage if you don't have at least the garrison requirement. Think of that number as the bare minimum necessary to maintain order, more is better, but you need at least 40 if 40 is the requirement.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: Almost a garrison!

Post by Chickenboy »

I'm not entirely convinced.

Yes, you need the garrison requirements to be *guaranteed* civil order, but I'm not sure that (to use the example before) having 39 garrison AV in a hex is a guaranteed revolt. Without knowing the formula, I think it's more akin to the Kwantung garrison requirements-if you're off there's a chance (probably bigger as the gap between required and existing grows) of 'activation'.

I recall recently reviewing some bases in China that were JUST BARELY shy of their garrison requirements (in the red), yet had not had partisan attacks or any discernible ill effects in the hex.

@ irishman: I will frequently identify Chinese units that are 4-6 AV shy of meeting garrison requirements but will be OK when they heal / rest up to recover a few lost squads and AV strength. These seem to be good to 'grow' into the role of garrison, thus freeing up more useful IJA proper units.
Image
Swenslim
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:34 pm
Location: Odessa, Ukraine

RE: Almost a garrison!

Post by Swenslim »

I have 18 AV at George town with 20 AV needed and loss of 1 PP happens VERY rarely.  What is irritating that i must have garrison 6-7 arrisons at PI.
User avatar
noguaranteeofsanity
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:28 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

RE: Almost a garrison!

Post by noguaranteeofsanity »

You have to account for any losses, a few bases in India at the start of my GC, theoretically had the required AV, but fall short by 1 or 2 points, due to being understrength and still suffer the full VP penalty.
jcjordan
Posts: 1900
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2001 8:00 am

RE: Almost a garrison!

Post by jcjordan »

I think it is a random roll of the "die" whether you'll be hit w/ loss or not w/ a higher chance of it happening the bigger the difference between the 2 as well as the bigger that requirement or at least that's the way it seems to have happened to me. I've had a 5pt China base w/ no garrison sometimes get hit & sometimes not & I've had that same base w/ 4 AV do the same thing though much rarer for the loss/damage to occur.
User avatar
pompack
Posts: 2585
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:44 am
Location: University Park, Texas

RE: Almost a garrison!

Post by pompack »

ORIGINAL: jcjordan

I think it is a random roll of the "die" whether you'll be hit w/ loss or not w/ a higher chance of it happening the bigger the difference between the 2 as well as the bigger that requirement or at least that's the way it seems to have happened to me. I've had a 5pt China base w/ no garrison sometimes get hit & sometimes not & I've had that same base w/ 4 AV do the same thing though much rarer for the loss/damage to occur.
By my not-so-rigorous testing, the die roll is proportional to the delta between the requirement and the actual garrison. Close is far better than none at all.
User avatar
noguaranteeofsanity
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:28 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

RE: Almost a garrison!

Post by noguaranteeofsanity »

ORIGINAL: pompack

ORIGINAL: jcjordan

I think it is a random roll of the "die" whether you'll be hit w/ loss or not w/ a higher chance of it happening the bigger the difference between the 2 as well as the bigger that requirement or at least that's the way it seems to have happened to me. I've had a 5pt China base w/ no garrison sometimes get hit & sometimes not & I've had that same base w/ 4 AV do the same thing though much rarer for the loss/damage to occur.
By my not-so-rigorous testing, the die roll is proportional to the delta between the requirement and the actual garrison. Close is far better than none at all.

I dont think its completely random either. I accidentally left one or two bases ungarrisoned and would get hit with a regular VP penalty every second turn, until i corrected that mistake.
User avatar
BigJ62
Posts: 1132
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2002 9:53 am
Location: Alpharetta, Georgia
Contact:

RE: Almost a garrison!

Post by BigJ62 »

It is random die roll with a higher chance that partisans do damage the lower the av. Only if partisans do damage will there be a vp penalty.
Witp-AE
AeAi…AeAi …AeAi…Long live AeAi.
User avatar
irishman
Posts: 255
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:54 pm
Location: Emerald Isle

RE: Almost a garrison!

Post by irishman »

Follow on question. Garrison AV values seem to count irrespective of what combat mode they're in so is there ever any reason to have rear area forces in combat mode? Surely they should always be in rest / training?
The greater the difficulty, the greater the glory - Cicero
User avatar
BigJ62
Posts: 1132
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2002 9:53 am
Location: Alpharetta, Georgia
Contact:

RE: Almost a garrison!

Post by BigJ62 »

use whatever mode you like
Witp-AE
AeAi…AeAi …AeAi…Long live AeAi.
Marty A
Posts: 213
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:48 am

RE: Almost a garrison!

Post by Marty A »

appear to me what short garrison is % chance of partisan and point loss. example garrison of 20. for every point you short from this is 5% chance so if you have 15 of 20 garrison 25% chance. i do not know if this is sure but looks about like what happen to me.
Post Reply

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”