Widescreen mode - screenshots too big now?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Post Reply
User avatar
castor troy
Posts: 14331
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:17 am
Location: Austria

Widescreen mode - screenshots too big now?

Post by castor troy »

Hi

While I liked to take screenshots for my AAR in the old, small 4:3 windowed mode, I have now the problem that a screenshot taken while playing at 1980x1080 full screen has about 1MB which is five times too big to be uploaded. How do people avoid this problem? I tried to resize it but it looked just awful then.

Note, this is not a whine about the new 16:9 full screen modes... just can´t figure out how to use the screenshots now...
User avatar
LoBaron
Posts: 4775
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2003 8:23 pm
Location: Vienna, Austria

RE: Widescreen mode - screenshots too big now?

Post by LoBaron »

Check the format of your screenshot.
print screen likes to save a bmp file and that is too large.
Open with paint and resave as jpeg.
Image
User avatar
dorjun driver
Posts: 641
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:17 am
Location: Port Townsend: hex 210,51
Contact:

RE: Widescreen mode - screenshots too big now?

Post by dorjun driver »

[ol][*]Use the different compression algorithms available in Gimp (free) and/or Photoshop ($).[*]Try capturing only the area of interest via PicPick or other screen capture utility.[*]Goto 3*[/ol]* apologies to Edsger Dijkstra
x - ARPAnaut
x - ACM
x - AES
Current - Bum

Image

The paths of glory may lead you to the grave, but the paths of duty may not get you anywhere.
JT
User avatar
castor troy
Posts: 14331
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:17 am
Location: Austria

RE: Widescreen mode - screenshots too big now?

Post by castor troy »

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

Check the format of your screenshot.
print screen likes to save a bmp file and that is too large.
Open with paint and resave as jpeg.



that´s exactly what is happening and what I´m doing. Same as I´ve done in the past. Ending up with jpeg size 1MB+ now. The only thing that has changed is I´ve taken screenshots from windowed mode (1080x something) before and am now taking screens from 1980x1080 full screen.
User avatar
LoBaron
Posts: 4775
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2003 8:23 pm
Location: Vienna, Austria

RE: Widescreen mode - screenshots too big now?

Post by LoBaron »

I havent done a screenshot post patch.
 
But dorjun driver is right, try gimp.
Image
User avatar
jwilkerson
Posts: 8272
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2002 4:02 am
Location: Kansas
Contact:

RE: Widescreen mode - screenshots too big now?

Post by jwilkerson »

ORIGINAL: castor troy
Note, this is not a whine about the new 16:9 full screen modes... just can´t figure out how to use the screenshots now...

CT if it is possible to have a problem - you seem to take the cake - are you a "problem magnet" ??? If you need a testing job someday - just let us know! [:D]

I don't know what you're doing differently from me, but as you can see in my AAR my 1920x1200 screen shots, which I copy to paint and save as jpeg, are working fine.

If you can't find any other way, the crop your image just a bit in paint before you save and see if that helps, maybe you are right on the edge, but according to my arithmetic your screen shot size should have a few less pixels than mine, on average, and I haven't had an issue (yet). We've even seen a few large screen shots as well posted here.
WITP Admiral's Edition - Project Lead
War In Spain - Project Lead
User avatar
castor troy
Posts: 14331
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:17 am
Location: Austria

RE: Widescreen mode - screenshots too big now?

Post by castor troy »

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

ORIGINAL: castor troy
Note, this is not a whine about the new 16:9 full screen modes... just can´t figure out how to use the screenshots now...

CT if it is possible to have a problem - you seem to take the cake - are you a "problem magnet" ??? If you need a testing job someday - just let us know! [:D]

I don't know what you're doing differently from me, but as you can see in my AAR my 1920x1200 screen shots, which I copy to paint and save as jpeg, are working fine.

If you can't find any other way, the crop your image just a bit in paint before you save and see if that helps, maybe you are right on the edge, but according to my arithmetic your screen shot size should have a few less pixels than mine, on average, and I haven't had an issue (yet). We've even seen a few large screen shots as well posted here.


sorry Joe, perhaps it´s just bad karma. Or it´s a penalty for my ranting? [;)]

I know your wonderful full screen screenshots you had posted in your AAR when you released the good news about the new graphic modes and I tried to do the same, unfortunetely I´m ending up with 1MB bmp now instead of the 200KB like before. Other than changing the game from the old 4:3 windowed mode to full screen high resolution mode now I have done nothing and am not taking the screenshots differently either. I´ve only noticed lately as I wanted to upload a full screen screenshot and couldn´t and wondered why, just to find out that the jpg had 1MB instead of the 200KB I was used to.

User avatar
castor troy
Posts: 14331
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:17 am
Location: Austria

RE: Widescreen mode - screenshots too big now?

Post by castor troy »

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

I havent done a screenshot post patch.

But dorjun driver is right, try gimp.


yeah, will have to use a screenshot programme again, I used to just press "print" and paste it into mspaint to work on it and save it as a jpeg. Doesn´t work for me anymore.
User avatar
Shark7
Posts: 7936
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:11 pm
Location: The Big Nowhere

RE: Widescreen mode - screenshots too big now?

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

Check the format of your screenshot.
print screen likes to save a bmp file and that is too large.
Open with paint and resave as jpeg.

Most graphic programs will also let you cut down the quality of a .jpg image to help reduce the file size.

Widescreen sure is pretty though. [:)]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Dili
Posts: 4742
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:33 pm

RE: Widescreen mode - screenshots too big now?

Post by Dili »

With Xnview(freeware) you have a lot of easy options, resize, crop, variable quality.
Mistmatz
Posts: 1399
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:56 pm

RE: Widescreen mode - screenshots too big now?

Post by Mistmatz »

I recommend paint.net
Just save as JPEG and lower the quality until you have the desired file size.
If you gained knowledge through the forum, why not putting it into the AE wiki?

http://witp-ae.wikia.com/wiki/War_in_th ... ition_Wiki

User avatar
Reg
Posts: 2793
Joined: Fri May 26, 2000 8:00 am
Location: NSW, Australia

RE: Widescreen mode - screenshots too big now?

Post by Reg »


Irfanview gets my vote. 1920x1200 screenshot saves as a 256Kb jpg file at 85% compression.

Also allows you to resize, crop, reduce color depth or save in any format you could want.



Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!
User avatar
skrewball
Posts: 305
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2000 10:00 am
Location: Belgium

RE: Widescreen mode - screenshots too big now?

Post by skrewball »

Or you can just Microsoft paint.

Right click on the picture. Open with MSPaint. On the tool bar go to Image -->Stretch/Skew and set to the stretch to 25-50% it will shrink it by that size.
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
Post Reply

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”