What to do

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Post Reply
Grallon
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:22 am

What to do

Post by Grallon »

I must be missing something since I find there's nothing to do in this game but rush to colonize and churn out ships to protect them... The cultural aspect is abstracted, there's no special projects to build, no infrastructure... It's as if the game can run without your input. I play for 10-15 minutes and then quit in frustration.

Am I missing something?




G.
User avatar
lordxorn
Posts: 768
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:18 am

RE: What to do

Post by lordxorn »

Did you try the tutorials?

Also there is ample information now in the forums and the game description that explained that the DW economy is a macro type game. You can only indirectly influence your private sector, which make sense. Your job as supreme overlord is to ensure your economy can thrive by scouting out new resources/luxuries, expanding, and protecting. In some cases you have to go to war to ensure your economy will thrive.

What Distant Worlds is not is a Civ in space type game, or Sim City.
User avatar
BigWolfChris
Posts: 665
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:26 pm
Contact:

RE: What to do

Post by BigWolfChris »

Personally I tend to agree that it would be nice if there were more too do

But of course, all 4x games are the same, just most of the others allow the player to also choose directions of technology and directly choose what infrastructure will be placed on worlds to support the fleets
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8 Core @3.7GHz
2x16 GB Vengeance LPX 2666MHz RAM
MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8G
SSD Drive
licker
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:31 pm

RE: What to do

Post by licker »

ORIGINAL: Grallon

I must be missing something since I find there's nothing to do in this game but rush to colonize and churn out ships to protect them... The cultural aspect is abstracted, there's no special projects to build, no infrastructure... It's as if the game can run without your input. I play for 10-15 minutes and then quit in frustration.

Am I missing something?




G.

No, you're not missing anything. The design of DW is different from most other 4x games, so the game play may not suit everyones taste.

I appreciate the automation to an extent, as it allows for you to focus on different aspects of your empire at different times without having to DO EVERYTHING. Though there are some tweeks needed (and coming) to get it right.
Post Reply

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”