Lag, but only in max zoom out

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Post Reply
taltamir
Posts: 1290
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:51 am

Lag, but only in max zoom out

Post by taltamir »

I commented earlier that the game is laggy and needs more threading... but I have to rescind it somewhat. I can now tell that the lag only occurs when I zoom out a lot. It also seems particularly exacerbated by having the animation for "special" things... EX: if I buy a bunch of special discoveries (10,000 credits each) from pirates, they all show up as animations in the galaxy map and produce a lot of lag. Even without them there is a lot of lag there in an advanced empire...

however, if i remain zoomed into the system level the game runs smooth as butter, even on 4x speed I don't notice any lag.
I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.
User avatar
elliotg
Posts: 3989
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:32 am

RE: Lag, but only in max zoom out

Post by elliotg »

ORIGINAL: taltamir I commented earlier that the game is laggy and needs more threading... but I have to rescind it somewhat. I can now tell that the lag only occurs when I zoom out a lot. It also seems particularly exacerbated by having the animation for "special" things... EX: if I buy a bunch of special discoveries (10,000 credits each) from pirates, they all show up as animations in the galaxy map and produce a lot of lag. Even without them there is a lot of lag there in an advanced empire...

however, if i remain zoomed into the system level the game runs smooth as butter, even on 4x speed I don't notice any lag.
Thanks for that feedback taltamir. We'll be adding a new feature in the next patch that will reduce the lag when zoomed out on large empires/galaxies. This feature will be an option to turn off display of non-essential ship types at these zoom levels, e.g. not display freighters, mining ships, etc.
taltamir
Posts: 1290
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:51 am

RE: Lag, but only in max zoom out

Post by taltamir »

thanks, that would be awesome... Very quick response there guys. :P

In regards to the "blinking" of "special items of interest"... maybe some testing to see how much of a difference it makes? maybe it would be better to use a static notifier instead of animated one (odd that such an animation would make a difference though... i think, but not certain, it does).
I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.
User avatar
Erik Rutins
Posts: 39783
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA
Contact:

RE: Lag, but only in max zoom out

Post by Erik Rutins »

What you describe as lag, is that just the fact that at the zoomed out level it updates the ship locations less frequently, or is it something else that you're seeing?
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC


Image

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
taltamir
Posts: 1290
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:51 am

RE: Lag, but only in max zoom out

Post by taltamir »

i mean the game is less responsive and the visuals themselves stutter. Animations (the "blip" for areas of interest for example) skip frames too. The minimap flickers and takes longer to update, and scrolling the screen is jittery
I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.
User avatar
Mysterius
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:32 am
Location: Angers, France

RE: Lag, but only in max zoom out

Post by Mysterius »

Yes, the FPS are lower :)
"Bigamy is when you have two wives, monotony is when you only have one." - Pierre Desproges
taltamir
Posts: 1290
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:51 am

RE: Lag, but only in max zoom out

Post by taltamir »

its practically a slide show, we are talking single digit FPS at most... actually I will get FRAPS and measure
I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.
taltamir
Posts: 1290
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:51 am

RE: Lag, but only in max zoom out

Post by taltamir »

alright... i uploaded relevant files to server with this filename: "taltamir - lag only when zoomed out.rar"
I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.
Post Reply

Return to “Tech Support”