Counterbattery fire

New Recruits check in here! Vets debate the fine points! Tactics discussion, FAQ and "how-to" help.
If you are new to the SP:WaW community post an introduction please!

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
User avatar
Belisarius
Posts: 3099
Joined: Sat May 26, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Contact:

Counterbattery fire

Post by Belisarius »

I think I've popped a vital vein in my head or something, because this has completely slipped my memory:

Counterbattery fire - do OB arty automatically fire at enemy OB arty, if they are not assigned a target?

In other words, if you leave a battery without target, will it target the enemy OB? :p
Image
Got StuG?
User avatar
Goblin
Posts: 5418
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2002 7:57 pm
Location: Erie,Pa. USA
Contact:

Post by Goblin »

No. It does increase its chances of CB fire if you do not target the guns elswhere, but not guarantee it.

Goblin- A Goblin shoots at the shooters;)
User avatar
Belisarius
Posts: 3099
Joined: Sat May 26, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Contact:

Post by Belisarius »

Ah, it works in that fashion. :)

Thanks Goblin!
Image
Got StuG?
User avatar
bigtroutz
Posts: 161
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Montana, USA

Post by bigtroutz »

For that matter, counter-battery fire will occur even when you DO use all the arty that can be assigned that turn. Presumably it uses a unit that was 'greyed out' but who knows. I often see counterbattery fire this way during the .5 moment. :eek:

Go figure.
Image
User avatar
stevemk1a
Posts: 860
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2002 10:44 am
Location: Penticton B.C.

Post by stevemk1a »

Question: Do many players leave at least one long range Arty unit unassigned in order to register counterbattery fire? I always seem to have too many other jobs for them. Is it effective enough to warrant the sacrifice? Also, I find the best use of airstrikes is to attack concentrations of the enemys arty (less possibility of blue on blue fire and a good look at his rear areas). Also, in game terms, does counterbattery fire use up any of your ammo?
User avatar
bigtroutz
Posts: 161
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Montana, USA

Post by bigtroutz »

Originally posted by willy
Question: Do many players leave at least one long range Arty unit unassigned in order to register counterbattery fire? I always seem to have too many other jobs for them. Is it effective enough to warrant the sacrifice? Also, I find the best use of airstrikes is to attack concentrations of the enemys arty (less possibility of blue on blue fire and a good look at his rear areas). Also, in game terms, does counterbattery fire use up any of your ammo?
I never leave any batteries unassigned if i have targets or even suspected targets. As i said, i even see counterbattery fire doing this. The reason, of course, is as you say "I always seem to have too many other jobs for them". Even when i spend ALOT buying arty, there never seems to be enough. If i dont have armor concentrations to target strike aircraft on, i do use some to target arty, but strike aircraft do awesome damage on infantry, so i try to target inf concentrations if there is any way to do it, keeping in mind that aircraft dont 'LIKE" to target inf.

I assume it uses ammo, never checked tho.
Image
User avatar
Belisarius
Posts: 3099
Joined: Sat May 26, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Contact:

Follow-up q:

Post by Belisarius »

Are some nations more inclined to CB fire than others?

I've had Scharfschütze's stinking Marine Corps CB my arty TWICE in three turns! :mad:

Meanwhile, I have never ever ever ever (repeat as needed) seen my own arty CB. :(
Image
Got StuG?
Scharfschütze
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Germany

Take that CB!!!

Post by Scharfschütze »

I think range is the critical factor here. May even be in the manual... but I am 100% sure I have read this either there or here in the forums.

I actually do leave batteries unassigned to do CB.

When I began playing, I was annoyed to see my big guns waste precious ammo on CB, but after taking some and watching the results on my own arty (tubes out of action, loss of ammo, whole batteries or even battallions(when the HQ is hit) out of contact for several turns) I am now very happy to see my arty deal out CB.

Belisarius: Seems I got you really bad last turn... 3x6 hits while CBing!!!:D

Your 150mm´s are actually firing CB, too, despite being beaten on range.
Are you unaware of this? Not that they would be doing much damage...:D :) :D
User avatar
Belisarius
Posts: 3099
Joined: Sat May 26, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Take that CB!!!

Post by Belisarius »

Originally posted by Scharfschütze
Belisarius: Seems I got you really bad last turn... 3x6 hits while CBing!!!:D
*groan* :( ;) :rolleyes: :eek: :mad: :D
Image
Got StuG?
Tomanbeg
Posts: 246
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Memphis, Tn, CSA

Post by Tomanbeg »

I don't know if they are still effective, but unless matrix took them out the numbers for Off boad counter battery fire are in the back of the SPIII manual. I've tested a little bit and from what I've seen it makes no difference if your units are firing or not. Range does matter, but it does not appear to be the main factor. Back when the range would be shown for arty fire, I trianglated the ranges and determined that my arty was firing from about hex 112,49 on a 100x100 map. I was going to try different size maps and see if the location of my arty moved. I never could figure out what to do with the data so I quit testing. I did discover that the range will sometime drop to 5 for your off board arty. I never did figure out why, and it didn't appear to affect c/b availability, although I've never got a fire mission out of an off board battery with a range of 5. It could be coincedence, but I set all my ranges at the end of every turn anyway.
T
"The 15th May, 1948, arrived ... On that day the mufti of Jerusalem appealed to the Arabs of Palestine to leave the country, because the Arab armies were about to enter and fight in their stead."
– The Cairo daily Akhbar el Yom, Oct. 12, 1963.
[IMG]http
Post Reply

Return to “SP:WaW Training Center”