The importance of the AAR
Moderator: maddog986
- SlickWilhelm
- Posts: 1854
- Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:52 pm
- Location: Rochester, MN
The importance of the AAR
After watching the new, rather underwhelming video trailer for Storm Over the Pacific, it got me to thinking what it really is that sells me on a new computer game. After watching said video trailer, I was no closer to purchasing SOtP than I was before I watched it. So I know for me it's not fancy trailers.
I've come to the conclusion that for me, anyway, the single most important selling point for a new game is a well-done AAR. I can think of two specific games - Forge of Freedom and Ageod's American Civil War - both of them highly complex games based on the American Civil War, where if not for many extremely well done AAR's, I probably would not have purchased them and taken the time and effort to learn how to play them.
Game demos are helpful, too, but nothing whets my appetite for a game than reading a detailed AAR that contains in-game pics.
So, thank you to everyone out there who has ever taken the time and effort to share your gaming experiences in the form of an AAR! [&o]
Btw, it's not my intention to pick on SOtP. From reading the AAR's and perusing the demo, I know I will eventually purchase the game. It was just the catalyst for me posting this. [:)]
I've come to the conclusion that for me, anyway, the single most important selling point for a new game is a well-done AAR. I can think of two specific games - Forge of Freedom and Ageod's American Civil War - both of them highly complex games based on the American Civil War, where if not for many extremely well done AAR's, I probably would not have purchased them and taken the time and effort to learn how to play them.
Game demos are helpful, too, but nothing whets my appetite for a game than reading a detailed AAR that contains in-game pics.
So, thank you to everyone out there who has ever taken the time and effort to share your gaming experiences in the form of an AAR! [&o]
Btw, it's not my intention to pick on SOtP. From reading the AAR's and perusing the demo, I know I will eventually purchase the game. It was just the catalyst for me posting this. [:)]
Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42
- Jeffrey H.
- Posts: 3154
- Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:39 pm
- Location: San Diego, Ca.
RE: The importance of the AAR
I tend towards AAR's written by users in a way that's similar to reading online product reviews by owners rather than by 'professionals'.
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.
Ron Swanson
Ron Swanson
RE: The importance of the AAR
I agree wholeheartedly! I'm not a big studier of the War in Russia, but after looking at AAR's of the testing for the upcoming War in the East, I will most likely buy it. I also am using AAR's as the chief determining factor for potentially buying War in the Pacific and did so with AGEod ACW.
I also tend to use them as a sign of a games popularity. If there are a lot of AAR's, then there must be something to the game, if not ... then probably not. (Of course, that's subjective)
I also tend to use them as a sign of a games popularity. If there are a lot of AAR's, then there must be something to the game, if not ... then probably not. (Of course, that's subjective)
ORIGINAL: Slick Wilhelm
After watching the new, rather underwhelming video trailer for Storm Over the Pacific, it got me to thinking what it really is that sells me on a new computer game. After watching said video trailer, I was no closer to purchasing SOtP than I was before I watched it. So I know for me it's not fancy trailers.
I've come to the conclusion that for me, anyway, the single most important selling point for a new game is a well-done AAR. I can think of two specific games - Forge of Freedom and Ageod's American Civil War - both of them highly complex games based on the American Civil War, where if not for many extremely well done AAR's, I probably would not have purchased them and taken the time and effort to learn how to play them.
Game demos are helpful, too, but nothing whets my appetite for a game than reading a detailed AAR that contains in-game pics.
So, thank you to everyone out there who has ever taken the time and effort to share your gaming experiences in the form of an AAR! [&o]
Btw, it's not my intention to pick on SOtP. From reading the AAR's and perusing the demo, I know I will eventually purchase the game. It was just the catalyst for me posting this. [:)]
Jay
USMC '98-'06
0311-4341
"Amateurs study tactics, professionals study logistics."
- Gen. Omar Bradley
"A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week. "
- Gen. George S. Patton
USMC '98-'06
0311-4341
"Amateurs study tactics, professionals study logistics."
- Gen. Omar Bradley
"A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week. "
- Gen. George S. Patton
- Erik Rutins
- Posts: 39783
- Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 4:00 pm
- Location: Vermont, USA
- Contact:
RE: The importance of the AAR
ORIGINAL: Slick Wilhelm
After watching the new, rather underwhelming video trailer for Storm Over the Pacific, it got me to thinking what it really is that sells me on a new computer game. After watching said video trailer, I was no closer to purchasing SOtP than I was before I watched it. So I know for me it's not fancy trailers.
In that case, have a look here:
tt.asp?forumid=827
[8D]
Regards,
- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/
Freedom is not Free.
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/
Freedom is not Free.
RE: The importance of the AAR
I have a particular order for pre-evaluating possible acquisitions. First I regard the website in terms of features and screenshots. Afterwards I search for AAR's and gameplay footage on youtube (mere promo videos don't cut it for me), and subsequently read the according forums (gameplay and technical issues). Considering every of the previous steps led to a positive result, I look out for a demo and play it intensely for a few hours. If still not bored at this point, I buy the game.
That's a working strat to avoid mispurchases. [;)]
That's a working strat to avoid mispurchases. [;)]
RE: The importance of the AAR
I tend towards AAR's written by users in a way that's similar to reading online product reviews by owners rather than by 'professionals'.
I think I understand you. I too am tired of those very poor AAR's you find by big names like IGN, where it seems to come obvious once you play the game for yourself, that the PROFESSIONAL writers spent perhaps only 5 minutes playing with the title before their fancy-smancy AAR.


King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.
RE: The importance of the AAR
After watching said video trailer, I was no closer to purchasing SOtP than I was before I watched it.
I decided to take a look myself. I agree, in that I found it not really giving me much insight into whether the game would be interesting to me or not. There are a few brief clips of game menus, so there is something. But I guess the trailer is more for awareness than anything else.


King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.
RE: The importance of the AAR
ORIGINAL: Obsolete
I tend towards AAR's written by users in a way that's similar to reading online product reviews by owners rather than by 'professionals'.
I think I understand you. I too am tired of those very poor AAR's you find by big names like IGN, where it seems to come obvious once you play the game for yourself, that the PROFESSIONAL writers spent perhaps only 5 minutes playing with the title before their fancy-smancy AAR.
Those AARs you reference done by people who hardly even played the game, well, dare I say it, those AARs suck!
I, too, love a well written AAR. I'm not a big fan of the prosy ones, but that is personal preference. I prefer the ones that talk to me like we are both people in the 21st century trying to "get one over" on either another person or the AI. Very much "to the point"!
KurtC in the WITE PBEM module.
RE: The importance of the AAR
I am getting sick and tired of all these F*CKING spam bots. And it's getting me damn pissed off at freedom of speech lately too.


King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.
- IainMcNeil
- Posts: 2784
- Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:01 am
- Location: London
- Contact:
RE: The importance of the AAR
AAR's make or beak a game for me....that and youtube video footage (it was youtube video footage that made me buy CMSF and it's one of my favourite games...if I hadnt have watched a winning footage (won a competition) then I'd never have bought it)....
AAR's are the biggest PR possible for a game....it's what I base many of my wargame purchases on....infact I would rather read an AAR than spend an age downloading a demo as most of the time they leave my harddrive quicker than it took to download onto it....
Lutzow summed it up for me....I follow the same process...unless the AAR is damn good and I will then purchase outright without a demo...to be honest I haven't downloaded or played a demo for a very long time indeed...
AAR's are the biggest PR possible for a game....it's what I base many of my wargame purchases on....infact I would rather read an AAR than spend an age downloading a demo as most of the time they leave my harddrive quicker than it took to download onto it....
Lutzow summed it up for me....I follow the same process...unless the AAR is damn good and I will then purchase outright without a demo...to be honest I haven't downloaded or played a demo for a very long time indeed...
RE: The importance of the AAR
...to be honest I haven't downloaded or played a demo for a very long time indeed...
Oh come, come now! You honestly expect me to believe you are not going to download the civ 5 demo which comes out in 3 days?


King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.
RE: The importance of the AAR
yep...never played a Civ game yet....
RE: The importance of the AAR
What!? Well I never!
BTW, maybe I am a little TOO OLD FASHIONED, or perhaps TOO MODERN, but my #1 decision factor in buying a game is the manual. I always prefer to brief through these more than anything. That's a trait I've had ever since the board-game days.
I do remember Paradox for some strange reason kept their manual for HoI top secret and you had to be some purchased & registered user just to be allowed to brief it. It is perhaps no co-incidence, that I never did end up purchasing their titles.
In the meantime, Firaxis just released their manual for Civ 5, despite the title won't even be on the shelves yet for the next few days:
http://www.civilization5.com/#/community/feature_manual
I really like it when publishers actually start to know how to cater to the public. Obviously, we know which title I'm going to be purchasing next. 
BTW, maybe I am a little TOO OLD FASHIONED, or perhaps TOO MODERN, but my #1 decision factor in buying a game is the manual. I always prefer to brief through these more than anything. That's a trait I've had ever since the board-game days.
I do remember Paradox for some strange reason kept their manual for HoI top secret and you had to be some purchased & registered user just to be allowed to brief it. It is perhaps no co-incidence, that I never did end up purchasing their titles.
In the meantime, Firaxis just released their manual for Civ 5, despite the title won't even be on the shelves yet for the next few days:
http://www.civilization5.com/#/community/feature_manual
I really like it when publishers actually start to know how to cater to the public. Obviously, we know which title I'm going to be purchasing next.


King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.
RE: The importance of the AAR
Nice draw from Firaxis.
Reading the manual is sufficient for me to know what to expect from a game. Will have a look into this later.
Reading the manual is sufficient for me to know what to expect from a game. Will have a look into this later.
RE: The importance of the AAR
hello guys ...
its really nice and informative post....
i just liked it....
thanks for your information guys ...........
its really nice and informative post....
i just liked it....
thanks for your information guys ...........
RE: The importance of the AAR
AAR capital of Matrix games is on the War in the Pacific and War in the Pacific : Admirals Edition Threads.
Written by the gamer, for the gamer.
Written by the gamer, for the gamer.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
- V22 Osprey
- Posts: 1593
- Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:07 pm
- Location: Corona, CA










