How'd you like your DW, fast or slow?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

User avatar
Igard
Posts: 2282
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:43 am
Location: Scotland

How'd you like your DW, fast or slow?

Post by Igard »

I'm interested to know what players would prefer. Do we want a slow paced game, with research slow (the way it is now) and expansion made slower? Or would we like a fast paced game with research greatly increased and expansion left the way it is now?

If there are a mix of responses to this, then perhaps a new slider alongside the research speed to set the expansion speed?
User avatar
ASHBERY76
Posts: 2080
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2001 8:00 am
Location: England

RE: How'd you like your DW, fast or slow?

Post by ASHBERY76 »

The game does not have an extensive research tree.I like 4X games that have large tech trees that should not be nearing maxing out until a very late game.

With faster research DW will max out tech very quickly.


I think the actual expansion speed is okay is it just the actual game date that kills immersion.You explore the whole galaxy and colonise many planets in under 10 years game time.I would like the game date speeded up in the expansion pack.
User avatar
WoodMan
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:22 pm
Location: Ol' Blighty

RE: How'd you like your DW, fast or slow?

Post by WoodMan »

Me personally, as slow as possible [;)]

I set planets quality to low, independents to low, homeworld to low, research to slowest, galaxy size to highest.

Then, to give the AI a little boost because the don't do too well with all the lowest settings, especially homeworld set to worst quality, I give all the aggressive races starting size young, the high population growth ones homeworld trying rather than harsh and the intelligent races one notch up in research, seems to be making for a pretty good game so far!
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
User avatar
Shark7
Posts: 7936
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:11 pm
Location: The Big Nowhere

RE: How'd you like your DW, fast or slow?

Post by Shark7 »

Extremely slow here. If I start a game that never ends I'm quite all-right with that. Hmm...coming from a WiTP player, are you really surprised? [:D]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Bozz
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 12:08 pm

RE: How'd you like your DW, fast or slow?

Post by Bozz »

Same as Shark7 I like games that never finish,

It also could be cool to slow down the ships perhaps [:D]
User avatar
Simulation01
Posts: 540
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 8:10 pm

RE: How'd you like your DW, fast or slow?

Post by Simulation01 »

Give me a slider.  I also want to be able to control what I'm researching to a greater degree.

Edit:

The more options the better....when you limit the choices of the player you deny him/her enjoyment.
"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson
User avatar
LoBaron
Posts: 4775
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2003 8:23 pm
Location: Vienna, Austria

RE: How'd you like your DW, fast or slow?

Post by LoBaron »

ORIGINAL: WoodMan

Me personally, as slow as possible [;)]

I set planets quality to low, independents to low, homeworld to low, research to slowest, galaxy size to highest.

Then, to give the AI a little boost because the don't do too well with all the lowest settings, especially homeworld set to worst quality, I give all the aggressive races starting size young, the high population growth ones homeworld trying rather than harsh and the intelligent races one notch up in research, seems to be making for a pretty good game so far!

Absolutely with you WoodMan.

The slower the pace the better. It adds much to the atmosphere of a giant galaxy evolving over a huge timeframe.
I am not far enough into the game to comment on mid-endgame situations, but in case a faster pace is wanted why not simply set close to all except some fast reaciton fleets to AI
and pump the gamespeed to the max?

That said, expansion could be a tad slower. This is not so much due to colonies evolving to fast, they are quite ok in that regard, but more that ressource costs an maintenance costs
are comparably low, so you are able to support a huge ammount of mining stations across a big junk of the galaxy even if you only own 2-3 more or less developed colonies.
Ships speeds on the other hand are ok now, its just the ammount and size of milk-cows you can create is a bit high for my taste.
Image
User avatar
WoodMan
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:22 pm
Location: Ol' Blighty

RE: How'd you like your DW, fast or slow?

Post by WoodMan »

LoBaron, have you tried setting your homeplanet to Harsh and playing with all low quality planets, at first I always used to get stuck at around the three colonies mark, with such a low starting population and no large populations of independents to absorb (the main thing that affects speed of expansion in my opinion) you will struggle to make enough money for a colonyship, even though you found the colonizable planets [:D]

I've learnt now and got a bit better at saving money, but its still very slow (can't afford Explorers, got to scrap your destroyer sometimes, troops gotta go too, can't afford the maintenance on them [:D]).
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
User avatar
Fishers of Men
Posts: 329
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:05 pm
Location: Fishers, IN USA

RE: How'd you like your DW, fast or slow?

Post by Fishers of Men »

I set research speed on very slow. Because the tech tree is small, I want each advance to mean a lot to the impact it makes on the game. I don't really want to reach the end of the tree before the game is over. I also play with the real-time speed set at 0.25. I am just now quick enough to make so many decisions at one time. I still do a lot of pausing to stop my head from spinning.

FoM
Old............but very fast
User avatar
J HG T
Posts: 1093
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 4:06 am
Location: Kiadia Prime

RE: How'd you like your DW, fast or slow?

Post by J HG T »

Everything to low/few etc. May vary depending on what kind of game I want to have. Research to very slow. Galaxy size anything between small to large (Or whatever my 1GB comp can handle). Those work best for me. I enjoy fairly slow games where I can watch the galaxy develop and change, but I still like to finish them.
Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."
User avatar
Igard
Posts: 2282
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:43 am
Location: Scotland

RE: How'd you like your DW, fast or slow?

Post by Igard »

Seems like a slider should be the way to go. I'm firmly in the 'slow going' camp, but like Simulation01 says, the more options the better for the player.

Thanks for the opinions guys. Keep 'em coming.
User avatar
sandman2575
Posts: 315
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:02 pm

RE: How'd you like your DW, fast or slow?

Post by sandman2575 »

I like the slow pace in general -- one of the knocks i always had on Civilization was that (great though it was), tech speed always seemed to be outstripping history -- seemed like no sooner than you discovered Chivalry and got knights than you were also discovering gunpowder that made them obsolete, etc. (i know you can slow this down now with 'marathon' game play, btw).

Still, I agree with Ashbery76 that the calendar time and exploration time seem a bit out of whack -- a decade to colonize and explore the known galaxy doesn't seem right. Also, seems like you can set up 20 colonies before you make your first tech breakthrough, which also seems a bit out of balance.

(Regardless, DW is a fantastic game -- these are just very minor gripes on my part)
User avatar
shinobu
Posts: 214
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:08 am

RE: How'd you like your DW, fast or slow?

Post by shinobu »

ORIGINAL: Shark7

Extremely slow here. If I start a game that never ends I'm quite all-right with that.[:D]

Agreed... [:)]
martok
Posts: 845
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:44 am

RE: How'd you like your DW, fast or slow?

Post by martok »

Like most players in this thread, I generally prefer a slower pace. I've always enjoyed games where I actually had time to think, instead of just frantically trying to mouse-click my way to victory.

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

User avatar
LoBaron
Posts: 4775
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2003 8:23 pm
Location: Vienna, Austria

RE: How'd you like your DW, fast or slow?

Post by LoBaron »

ORIGINAL: WoodMan

LoBaron, have you tried setting your homeplanet to Harsh and playing with all low quality planets, at first I always used to get stuck at around the three colonies mark, with such a low starting population and no large populations of independents to absorb (the main thing that affects speed of expansion in my opinion) you will struggle to make enough money for a colonyship, even though you found the colonizable planets [:D]

I've learnt now and got a bit better at saving money, but its still very slow (can't afford Explorers, got to scrap your destroyer sometimes, troops gotta go too, can't afford the maintenance on them [:D]).

Heheh...you got me there. No, I havent. [:D]

My home system is "acceptable", but planet quality is set to the second lowest.
Still I am swimming in ressources though, gathered from a relatively small radius around my home system.

There IS a lack of colonizable planets, but its ressources from mining stations that I have by far too many. Is this also negatively influenced by the planet quality slider?
And how does the AI cope with a very poor galaxy?
Image
User avatar
WoodMan
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:22 pm
Location: Ol' Blighty

RE: How'd you like your DW, fast or slow?

Post by WoodMan »

With Harsh home system you will not get a second planet to colonize in your homesystem and less resources in your home system so you have to go find them at the start.  Sometimes if very lucky you get a second planet in homesystem to colonize, in my current game I had an independent of same race in my home system, lucky me [:D]. 

Resources aren't really any rarer I *think* with low planet quality across the galaxy, but the harsher start condition means you have to decide what to buy early on, buying several explorers is an option that might prove bankrupting, but then you need to judge your finances and make sure you get the Explorers when you can afford it, its good fun, a bit more decision making early on.  You will find yourself in the civ overview screen looking at your finances and thinking, hmm, I need to find 8k of savings, what shall I cut, what shall I keep [:D]

As for the AI, I find it bes to give them a slight boost, the galaxy itself doesn't affect their performance, but the start conditions do.  As i said before for any nation that has aggression as its strength I set their starting same as me but increase starting size to Young, for high populations/Utopias I set planet quality to one notch higher than me, and for intelligent races I set their starting research up a notch.  At the moment it making an interesting game where the AI is competative, I don't have the highest tech, economy, colonies or military but I'm not last in either of them either [8D]

Edit: I forgot, I highly recommend Space Creatures and Pirates on low if you use these settings! Otherwise they can prevent the AI (and even you) getting off the ground, remember pirates assume the tech of nearby nations, so you might find yourself fighting higher tech pirates!
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
User avatar
NefariousKoel
Posts: 1741
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2002 3:48 am
Location: Murderous Missouri Scum

RE: How'd you like your DW, fast or slow?

Post by NefariousKoel »

I like stuff moving slowly.  

Not painfully slow, just annoyingly slow. [:'(]
User avatar
adecoy95
Posts: 420
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:01 am

RE: How'd you like your DW, fast or slow?

Post by adecoy95 »

i dont really mind if distant worlds is fast or slow, but i do wish it was a little more consistent. like i said in another thread, the speed at witch things happen seems to not be consistent, ships move and build extremely fast compared to the growth rate and research speed of colonies. i am playing a game right now with the fastest growing race in the game (securian + utopia gov), i had over a hundred and fifty worlds, and none of the planets i colonized, even the ones in my starting worlds, had a notable population... however, i did manage to get some of them to have alot larger population than i normally have in games by customizing the passenger ships to hold 5-10 million passengers instead of only 600k.

also, for the record, i had direct access to all three super luxury resources [:o]
User avatar
Igard
Posts: 2282
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:43 am
Location: Scotland

RE: How'd you like your DW, fast or slow?

Post by Igard »

ORIGINAL: adecoy95

i dont really mind if distant worlds is fast or slow, but i do wish it was a little more consistent. like i said in another thread, the speed at witch things happen seems to not be consistent, ships move and build extremely fast compared to the growth rate and research speed of colonies. i am playing a game right now with the fastest growing race in the game (securian + utopia gov), i had over a hundred and fifty worlds, and none of the planets i colonized, even the ones in my starting worlds, had a notable population... however, i did manage to get some of them to have alot larger population than i normally have in games by customizing the passenger ships to hold 5-10 million passengers instead of only 600k.

also, for the record, i had direct access to all three super luxury resources [:o]

Population growth is alot slower than other 4x games. However I find this more realistic and it does highlight the importance of your homeworld and rightly so IMO.

I don't see any way around the inconsistencies of the time scale. Perhaps we should have more sliders for population growth and construction build times? Would that be too much?
User avatar
WoodMan
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:22 pm
Location: Ol' Blighty

RE: How'd you like your DW, fast or slow?

Post by WoodMan »

Quite a discussion here, I have to admit, in my opinion the speed of the game and the passing of time (the dates) is something I would not change.  They got almost everything right with the game, but almost means that they can still improve these aspects, but when it comes to the speed of the game and passage of time its the one aspect I would say "DO NOT TOUCH"!
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
Post Reply

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”