Diplomacy screen flickering

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Post Reply
flap
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:30 am

Diplomacy screen flickering

Post by flap »

Am the only one ? But my diplomacy screen (when speaking with another race) is badly flickering. Sometimes is keeps flickering for 4 or more seconds before I can read the text.

To be more specific the places which are flickering are the locations where the text should be written. The pictures around seem find.

This was the the case with DW 1.06 and RotS 1.5.

I also noticed that dialogs drawings is generaly bad : the elements are being drawn one after the other, and sometimes need to be drawn a few times.

I use windows XP, on a laptop (graphic card : ATI Mobility Radeom X1600)
Nalim27
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:22 pm

RE: Diplomacy screen flickering

Post by Nalim27 »

Hi, I have no problem with flickerig - it is problem on your side.
Try do download and latest AMD drivers and check it.
If problem still persist, try to older drivers (1 year old, then 2 years old), maybe it will helps


And if problem will be still here - put your DxDiag file here.
Nalim27, gamer
User avatar
elliotg
Posts: 3989
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:32 am

RE: Diplomacy screen flickering

Post by elliotg »

Hi flap. Hard to diagnose this without at least a DxDiag file.

This could be caused by low-memory on your system. How much free memory do you have while running DW? Do you have any other applications running at the same time. Try exiting other applications before running DW.

Thanks
Elliot
flap
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:30 am

RE: Diplomacy screen flickering

Post by flap »

I have attached the file, and here is what the memory looks like when it DW is running (I don't really know how to read that... Also I have tried to translate the terms into english)

Physical memory (Ko):
- Total : 2 096 428
- Available : 760 000
- Cache system : 880 500

Dedicated Memory :
- Total : 1 265 000
- Limit : 4 035 116

Kernel Memory :
- Total : 118 500
- Expanded memory : 65 500
- not expanded : 52 900
Attachments
DxDiag.txt
(49.5 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Nalim27
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:22 pm

RE: Diplomacy screen flickering

Post by Nalim27 »

Hello flap,
yours graphics drivers are 4 years old! I think this can cause flickering. As I said before install latest ATI drivers.
Some new drivers can be found here
Nalim27, gamer
flap
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:30 am

RE: Diplomacy screen flickering

Post by flap »

Well, that's the latest drivers proposes for my laptop model.

However, I have made a search by videocard instead of laptop and am trying something newer.
I'll see if it changes anything...

Edit :
Well, I have tried AMD and Azus websites, downloaded some packages there, and it seems that I have the lastest drivers for my equipment.

DW is the only programm with that issue on my computer. I am only the one experiencing that?

User avatar
Nibelung44
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:24 am

RE: Diplomacy screen flickering

Post by Nibelung44 »

No I get it too on my laptop, the screens redraw several times. On my new game rig, it is ok. 
flap
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:30 am

RE: Diplomacy screen flickering

Post by flap »

I have read that Galactopedia uses Internet explorer. Does that the diplomacy screen does the same too ? I had IE6 on my computer, and had never been very happy with the way it displayed pages (and thus used something else).

I have tried to install ie8. But haven't noticed much difference... Though I don't know if IE6 is still lurking somewhere in my machine !
Post Reply

Return to “Tech Support”