Wasn't Windowed Mode Mentioned?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Post Reply
Scritty
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:08 pm

Wasn't Windowed Mode Mentioned?

Post by Scritty »

I seem to remember that windowed mode would be supported for this game with the expansion.
Is it? I can't seem to find or access it if it is.
Would be very helpful - fonts are terrible and I like to read the manual without having to print the whole thing out.
Game really does not like "alt tab" takes 30 seconds to respond and often crashes when I try.

Thanks in advance

Paul
Logistics ? Yeah I'm a spanner for that stuff
Spacecadet
Posts: 1784
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:52 pm

RE: Wasn't Windowed Mode Mentioned?

Post by Spacecadet »

Yes, here's what to do:

tm.asp?m=2654020




CPU: Intel 2700K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GTX 970
OS: Windows 7 (64 bit)
Res: 1920 x 1200


Aures
Posts: 180
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:02 pm

RE: Wasn't Windowed Mode Mentioned?

Post by Aures »

Hmm, I never have trouble with alt-tab. Always instant, never crashes. What kind of system specs do you have Scritty?
Most of my Empires are too big

Scritty
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:08 pm

RE: Wasn't Windowed Mode Mentioned?

Post by Scritty »

Phenom 965
Asus A4A7 85TD - V-EVO mobo
8 Gigabytes Corsair 1600
2xNvidia 580 GFX
Intel 160 GB SSD HD (OS Only)
2X 1 TB Raptor
Windows 7 64 bit
LG W300H monitor

Should be ample. I built it a couple of weeks ago. Plays fine - just doesn't like alt tab on this one game (Plays Crysis at 2560x1600 with everything turned on max at 104 fps)

Just one of those things I guess.

Scritty

How times change. Cost almost £1500 less than my 286 machine from 1992.

Logistics ? Yeah I'm a spanner for that stuff
elmo3
Posts: 5797
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2002 10:00 am

RE: Wasn't Windowed Mode Mentioned?

Post by elmo3 »

I have it set to windowed mode using the suggestion posted in the link above.  Then I just hit the Window key to break out of the game.  Works great.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
Aures
Posts: 180
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:02 pm

RE: Wasn't Windowed Mode Mentioned?

Post by Aures »

Yeah thats comparable to mine with the same OS, don't know why alt tabbing would give you an issue.
Most of my Empires are too big

User avatar
Shark7
Posts: 7936
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:11 pm
Location: The Big Nowhere

RE: Wasn't Windowed Mode Mentioned?

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Scritty

Phenom 965
Asus A4A7 85TD - V-EVO mobo
8 Gigabytes Corsair 1600
2xNvidia 580 GFX
Intel 160 GB SSD HD (OS Only)
2X 1 TB Raptor
Windows 7 64 bit
LG W300H monitor

Should be ample. I built it a couple of weeks ago. Plays fine - just doesn't like alt tab on this one game (Plays Crysis at 2560x1600 with everything turned on max at 104 fps)

Just one of those things I guess.

Scritty

How times change. Cost almost £1500 less than my 286 machine from 1992.


Under Win7, just hit your windows key (if you haven't disabled it) and you can get to all your menus and action bar.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Scritty
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:08 pm

RE: Wasn't Windowed Mode Mentioned?

Post by Scritty »

Ah - now that does work (I normally disable windows key - it drops you right out of some touchy aps - but works just fine here)

Thanks for the replies :-)

Scritty
Logistics ? Yeah I'm a spanner for that stuff
Aures
Posts: 180
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:02 pm

RE: Wasn't Windowed Mode Mentioned?

Post by Aures »

Still, alt tabbing should work (and does for me) so while the priority might be gone for you there is probably still some issue and ideally it should be fixed if it can be pinned down.
Most of my Empires are too big

Scritty
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:08 pm

RE: Wasn't Windowed Mode Mentioned?

Post by Scritty »

ORIGINAL: Aures

Still, alt tabbing should work (and does for me) so while the priority might be gone for you there is probably still some issue and ideally it should be fixed if it can be pinned down.

I agree.

However I don't like using it anyway (it's one gripe I have with Matrix games in general - no printed manual and no windowed mode) I like to have the game playing while I look at the manual (rather than going "right, so to entrench I need to press the special action button on the unit then press Shift E on the hex I want them to entrench in)

In windowed mode it's all side-by-side and the process of going through a PDF tutorial is made so much quicker and easier (for me anyway) Disaster on the Donets was almost given up on because of this (I love it now - but what a pain)

I would gladly pay an extra $15 for a printed manual. I stand by my old inkjet for hours feeding in 3 sheets at a time (more than that and it rips it up) thinking "I would have paid $50 rather than $35 to avoid this hassle".

Even as an option - those who don't want it don't have to buy it. But I play so many games from Matrix that it has become a real issue with me. Either a printed manual OR windowed mode so I can have the 100+ page PDF open along side the game for the first few hours play.

Found out that the Nvidia drivers I have have an issue with quick return to desktop with the 580 cards in SLI. Might go back to the last release or wait for the next one. 2 580's side by side is still 12 degrees cooler in my case than 1 280GTX - that was like running a toaster - sometimes touching 100 degrees c (105 was throttle down)

Thanks for all the help

:-)

Scritty
Logistics ? Yeah I'm a spanner for that stuff
User avatar
Shark7
Posts: 7936
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:11 pm
Location: The Big Nowhere

RE: Wasn't Windowed Mode Mentioned?

Post by Shark7 »

Nvidia has always had an issue with alt-tab. At least with the Nvidia cards I've used.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Post Reply

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”