Don't take Rabaul!

Post bug reports here.

Moderator: Tankerace

Post Reply
User avatar
dwesolick
Posts: 610
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 7:33 am
Location: Colorado

Don't take Rabaul!

Post by dwesolick »

Hi,

This is my first posting to the forum. The game is superb in general and I look forward to the full Pacific War game. I haven't experienced most of the bugs the other writers have, but I have noticed a couple (one minor, one major). First, the minor one: I have been playing the "Yamamoto Prophecy" campaign (as the Allies) for a few weeks now (it's Aug 43 in the game) and I can't get the "training" option to work for any of my squadrons (by now I have newer fighter types so its not really relevant, but earlier in the campaign I really could have used better trained fighter pilots).
Now the major one: I have just captured Rabaul and after sending numerous ships into the port there, have discovered in subsequent turns that some ships are sailing on their own (during the action phase) for TRUK! At first it was just one destroyer (it, of course, got sunk real quick) and I thought I somehow goofed. But in the following turn a CVE task group sailed from Rabaul port to Truk! When I checked the TF it read: Destination: Truk, Home Base: Truk!
I've also noticed that the AI is not a terribly strong opponent (I put it in "Very Hard" mode and raised the IJN available ship option to 200 about 1/3 of the way thru the game, but I've still managed to sink 402 Japanese ships and capture Rabaul without losing anything larger than a CL). The AI does strange things, like sending carrier TFs against strongly defended air bases (for no apparent reason, not accompanying an invasion TF, for example). They just sit there within bombing range and get creamed, then sail back to Truk with their cripples. The AI also sends bombardment TFs to hit Finschafen (sp?) which then get creamed (I completely wiped out one such TF, including the Yamato).

Sorry for the above bellyaching. The game is great overall and I have enjoyed playing it these past weeks. I'll be first in line for the full Pacific game when it comes out.

Thanks,
dwesolick
"The Navy has a moth-eaten tradition that the captain who loses his ship is disgraced. What do they have all those ships for, if not to hurl them at the enemy?" --Douglas MacArthur
AlvinS
Posts: 659
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2000 10:00 am
Location: O'Fallon, Missouri
Contact:

Post by AlvinS »

Now the major one: I have just captured Rabaul and after sending numerous ships into the port there, have discovered in subsequent turns that some ships are sailing on their own (during the action phase) for TRUK!


Intresting. I read a post where a player playing as IJN captured Lunga, and their ships would then sail to Noumea as their home base. Seems that maybe when you capture a major base of the oppoent that it assumes the home base of the opponent as its own.

If you still have a save game file for this you might send it to Matrix to look at.

Just curious, how long did it take you to capture Rabaul? What date did you accomplish this on?
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." ---Mark Twain

Naval Warfare Simulations

AlvinS
User avatar
Spooky
Posts: 801
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2002 2:16 am
Location: Froggy Land
Contact:

Post by Spooky »

The scenario 16 is quite difficult for the Japanese AI since it had already lost 4 CV, 1 CVL and the corresponding air squadrons !

If you want a real challenge as the US against the AI, just play scenario 19 on a "hard" or "very hard" setting with a 200% reinforcement for the Japanese !
Sonny
Posts: 2005
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2002 9:51 pm

Post by Sonny »

After I captured Rabaul I did not have this problem - but the Japanese still used Rabaul as a place for their surface TFs to hang out! I docked two carrier TFs at Rabaul and their planes flew and bombed AGs and APs galore but only occasionally bombed the ships right in the same hex! And I think (but am not sure) they only bombed those ships in the same hex on turns where I sent a surface TF into the hex to root out the enemy ships. :( :)
Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "
TIMJOT
Posts: 1705
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2001 8:00 am

Post by TIMJOT »

Originally posted by AlvinS


Intresting. I read a post where a player playing as IJN captured Lunga, and their ships would then sail to Noumea as their home base. Seems that maybe when you capture a major base of the oppoent that it assumes the home base of the opponent as its own.

If you still have a save game file for this you might send it to Matrix to look at.

Just curious, how long did it take you to capture Rabaul? What date did you accomplish this on?
Hi I think you mean lunganville not lunga, but yeah basically the same thing happen to me, when I took lunganville playing as the IJN. Anytime I disbanded a TF at that port my ships will dash off to Noumea. I guess the game guess a little confused when you take a major home base. Its been a bug from 1.0 - 1.11, maybe now that it affects the allied player, more people will report it and it will be given priority for a fix
AlvinS
Posts: 659
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2000 10:00 am
Location: O'Fallon, Missouri
Contact:

Post by AlvinS »

Hi I think you mean lunganville not lunga, but yeah basically the same thing happen to me, when I took lunganville playing as the IJN. Anytime I disbanded a TF at that port my ships will dash off to Noumea. I guess the game guess a little confused when you take a major home base. Its been a bug from 1.0 - 1.11, maybe now that it affects the allied player, more people will report it and it will be given priority for a fix
Your right. Its old age creeping up on me. ;)

The fact that it happens on both sides might make it easier for Matrix to track down.
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." ---Mark Twain

Naval Warfare Simulations

AlvinS
Hartmann
Posts: 883
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2000 10:00 am

Post by Hartmann »

It is not confined to Luganville, though. Same thing at least seems to happen if you take Rabaul as the Allies as the original poster wrote. I wonder whether Luganville and Rabaul are the only bases showing this behaviour.

Hartmann

Edit: the AI seems to be affected, too:

showthread.php?s=&threadid=21996
sitkis
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2001 10:00 am

Post by sitkis »

Shortland also. Anything you put in Shortlands port (as the Allies) gets sent to Truk. The AI also seems to think it is a friendly port and sends empty AGs and stuff there to die.

Interestingly the sending-ships-to-the-enemy-port-to-die behavior seemed to stop after awhile. The AI didn't run out of ships or anything, since heavy BBs were hitting my base at Buka from Rabual. It just took a week, or so, for the change of status of Shortland to register.
Post Reply

Return to “Tech Support”