Fort Zones Worthless?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Post Reply
kirkgregerson
Posts: 497
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:21 pm

Fort Zones Worthless?

Post by kirkgregerson »

So I'm beginning to wonder if fort zones should be re-evaluated. From what I've read many people, including testers, say they are worthless and would never build them. If this is really the case, then IMO something should be done. Either remove them from the game or adjust fort zones to make them still something of value for the AP cost.

Currently I'm seeing fort zones created as if they are re-constituted units with their morale and exp. A bit odd since I question why the morale of a new German unit in 41 should start with a morale of 45? I thought the national morale was at least 70???

I'm almost in the camp that thinks building fort zones is now a waste. Maybe somebody can change my mind?

Thanks



Image
Attachments
fort_zone.jpg
fort_zone.jpg (88.05 KiB) Viewed 587 times
User avatar
Great_Ajax
Posts: 4924
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 6:00 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA

RE: Fort Zones Worthless?

Post by Great_Ajax »

Forts are useless if you think they are going to be the next Maginot Line and you plop them down five hexes behind the front line. They are useful in planning long term defensive positions well behind your lines digging into strategic positions.

Trey
"You want mercy!? I'm chaotic neutral!"

WiTE Scenario Designer
WitW Scenario/Data Team Lead
WitE 2.0 Scenario Designer
kirkgregerson
Posts: 497
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:21 pm

RE: Fort Zones Worthless?

Post by kirkgregerson »

ORIGINAL: el hefe

Forts are useless if you think they are going to be the next Maginot Line and you plop them down five hexes behind the front line. They are useful in planning long term defensive positions well behind your lines digging into strategic positions.

Trey


ok yes I can see that. But why do they start with such low morale? I can understand the low exp.
User avatar
cookie monster
Posts: 1690
Joined: Sun May 22, 2005 10:09 am
Location: Birmingham,England

RE: Fort Zones Worthless?

Post by cookie monster »

They are fixing the bug that construction units dont aid fort construction when attached to units

When thats fixed NOTHING will make forts quicker and more cheaply than a fort with 3 RR brigades.

This will make them ideal for fortifying the Crimea.

They also have zero'd arty on the higher fort levels.

Shame the ARTY su's will be destroyed on a surrender and not appear in the losses screen.

They can make forts behind the lines at cities with civilian pop assist quite well. They are presently a cheap digging unit.

They can begin the forts on critical hexes such as the hills outside Leningrad before you have any units available.

The late war forts are powerful but not needed when your on the offensive.
kirkgregerson
Posts: 497
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:21 pm

RE: Fort Zones Worthless?

Post by kirkgregerson »

ok, convinced again forts have a place in the game.. especially in v1.04.. which I hope is available soon?

[:D]

but I still think they should start with national morale level
Aditia
Posts: 573
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:06 pm

RE: Fort Zones Worthless?

Post by Aditia »

ORIGINAL: kirkgregerson

ok, convinced again forts have a place in the game.. especially in v1.04.. which I hope is available soon?

[:D]

but I still think they should start with national morale level

Same here! Who wouldn't want to be in the rear with the gear? =P
User avatar
Great_Ajax
Posts: 4924
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 6:00 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA

RE: Fort Zones Worthless?

Post by Great_Ajax »

Many units arrive with morale less than the national morale. Units will slowly 'train' up to that level.

Trey

ORIGINAL: kirkgregerson

ok, convinced again forts have a place in the game.. especially in v1.04.. which I hope is available soon?

[:D]

but I still think they should start with national morale level
"You want mercy!? I'm chaotic neutral!"

WiTE Scenario Designer
WitW Scenario/Data Team Lead
WitE 2.0 Scenario Designer
User avatar
carnifex
Posts: 1294
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2002 8:47 pm
Location: Latitude 40° 48' 43N Longtitude 74° 7' 29W

RE: Fort Zones Worthless?

Post by carnifex »

ORIGINAL: Aditia

ORIGINAL: kirkgregerson

ok, convinced again forts have a place in the game.. especially in v1.04.. which I hope is available soon?

[:D]

but I still think they should start with national morale level

Same here! Who wouldn't want to be in the rear with the gear? =P

The low morale guys that's who :) The high morale guys are giving each other high-fives on a train bound for Stalingrad.
Josh
Posts: 2568
Joined: Tue May 09, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Leeuwarden, Netherlands

RE: Fort Zones Worthless?

Post by Josh »

I build them on a few occasions. Mainly on quite parts of the front where I have a division split into three, and then put them behind a river (or one hex away from that river to lure enemy units). Given some time they can result in some hefty defense value. But in general no Panther line for me, maybe that'll change with new patches.
Texasgrunt
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:47 pm

RE: Fort Zones Worthless?

Post by Texasgrunt »

I build them (a) to help garrison a town when a regiment is not quite enough, ad (b) when I want to have a second line behind a first thin one. Gives me a turn to plug a breakthru bythe AI - of course a human player will not be stopped by that.
Destroy the enemy's army, then you can do what you will with his land, cattle and women.
User avatar
Helpless
Posts: 15788
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:12 pm

RE: Fort Zones Worthless?

Post by Helpless »

They start with build national morale level.

Somewhere in manual:
The morale of newly created units is then calculated by taking the build unit morale and multiplying by the morale help level divided by
100. This build morale value is then used in the formula – ((build morale/4) +20) + (rnd((build morale/4) +20)) to derive the unit morale.
This value cannot be less than 20 or greater than 50. The experience for the unit‟s initial ground elements is calculated by taking the
unit‟s morale divided by two and adding five.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2/CS-2 Development
User avatar
PyleDriver
Posts: 5906
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:38 pm
Location: Occupied Mexico aka Rio Grand Valley, S.Texas

RE: Fort Zones Worthless?

Post by PyleDriver »

I build them in cities where theres only Sec units, as they can only go to level 1 fort.
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
User avatar
mmarquo
Posts: 1376
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2000 8:00 am

RE: Fort Zones Worthless?

Post by mmarquo »

I build them:
 
1. To augment the garrison of a city if only a few more thousand troops are needed to turn it "blue" - rather than wasting another whole mobile unit.
2. To fortify important cities/towns and then disband them before the inevitable assault, leaving mobile unit who can retreat.
3. They are invaluable as the occasional speed bump in tight situations.
 
Marquo
User avatar
Tarhunnas
Posts: 2999
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:19 am
Location: Hex X37, Y15

RE: Fort Zones Worthless?

Post by Tarhunnas »

Just a thought. I think it might be better if FZs were shattered instead of Surrendered when forced to retreat. I mean, just because they are part of an immobile unit doesn't mean everyone is just standing around waiting to be captured when the enemy comes. As they are now, most players just use them for building or garrisoning and disbands them when the enemy comes close.


------------------------------
RTW3 Designer
User avatar
76mm
Posts: 4768
Joined: Sun May 02, 2004 4:26 am
Location: Washington, DC

RE: Fort Zones Worthless?

Post by 76mm »

Tarhunnas, that's good idea. currently I actually use fort zones pretty often, and at least so far have not been disbanding them (since they are as powerful as many of my 1 CV divisions).

User avatar
Tarhunnas
Posts: 2999
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:19 am
Location: Hex X37, Y15

RE: Fort Zones Worthless?

Post by Tarhunnas »

ORIGINAL: 76mm

Tarhunnas, that's good idea. currently I actually use fort zones pretty often, and at least so far have not been disbanding them (since they are as powerful as many of my 1 CV divisions).


Yes, but you lose a lot of stuff when they retreat as everything in the FZ is captured. As the Soviet, you might just as well build a brigade instead. It cost just 5 AP instead of 4, it is moveable and it won't surrender when it retreats.
------------------------------
RTW3 Designer
User avatar
76mm
Posts: 4768
Joined: Sun May 02, 2004 4:26 am
Location: Washington, DC

RE: Fort Zones Worthless?

Post by 76mm »

I do that too, but it can take several turns to build a bridage and get it in place, whereas FZ is in place right now.
User avatar
Klydon
Posts: 2305
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:39 am

RE: Fort Zones Worthless?

Post by Klydon »

I would have to double check, but guessing the FZ has a better entrenching ability than a brigade. 
User avatar
LiquidSky
Posts: 2834
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:28 am

RE: Fort Zones Worthless?

Post by LiquidSky »



But the Brigade has a way better routing ability then the FZ
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
User avatar
76mm
Posts: 4768
Joined: Sun May 02, 2004 4:26 am
Location: Washington, DC

RE: Fort Zones Worthless?

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: Klydon

I would have to double check, but guessing the FZ has a better entrenching ability than a brigade. 

I've checked; most of my FZ's had a construction value of 2, but one of the first emplaced FZs had a const value of 14.

For brigades, the unready ones had a constr value of 0, but some of the ready ones had a constr value of 11.

In general, if I have time, a brigade looks better, but if I want somebody digging in, however ineffectually, right now, I'll still use an FZ, although probably more sparingly in the future.
Post Reply

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”