A How-To for beginners

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

User avatar
larryfulkerson
Posts: 43070
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:06 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ,usa,sol, milkyway
Contact:

A How-To for beginners

Post by larryfulkerson »

Hey You Guys:

I'm thinking the WITE game could maybe use somebody writing a sort of "watch over my shoulder as I play the Axis AI" kind of AAR for at least two reasons: (1) The Rank beginners could have some way of knowing which reports to look for what iinformation, how to move units in combat, etc. (2) I might be able to show off what I'm learning as a Soviet player. That's all I've played seriously for the last, well, almost a year now. And I'm learning a lot. And I thought there might be a few beginners out there who might appreciate something like this. I wish I had something like this when I was first attempting to move some units around.

Anyway, I've started writing some HTML documents in a sort of nit-pickey-detailed-AAR kind of way. The document is about 17 Meg big.

Click here to download the WITE Intro turn 1
Click here to download turn 1 part 2

Click here to download turn 2 part 1
Click here to download turn 2 part 2

Click here to download turn 3 part 1
Click here to download turn 3 part 2
Click here to download turn 3 part 3

Click here to download turn 4

Click here to download turn 5

Click here to download turn 6

Click here to download turn 7

Click here to download turn 8

Click here to download turn 9

Click here to download turn 10
F16 Takeoff in the Rain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeinGOyKQGQ

10 Things Vietnam Lieutenants Never Told the Men They Led
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2YF3Hdhfzg
User avatar
Richard III
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:16 pm

RE: A How-To for beginners

Post by Richard III »

Larry

I follow your AAR`s and would appreciate that, although been playing on and off for a year, I`m still the Rankest of Beginners as far as the interface info details and what they mean as far as Army management for the Red Army.


Thanks !
“History would be a wonderful thing – if it were only true.”

¯ Leo Tolstoy
User avatar
larryfulkerson
Posts: 43070
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:06 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ,usa,sol, milkyway
Contact:

RE: A How-To for beginners

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: Richard III
Larry
I follow your AAR`s and would appreciate that....
Well, okie dokie then, I'll finish turn 1's document(s) and start turn 2, etc. I just wanted to know if anybody was interested since there's a considerable time sink involved.
F16 Takeoff in the Rain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeinGOyKQGQ

10 Things Vietnam Lieutenants Never Told the Men They Led
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2YF3Hdhfzg
RedBunny
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:43 pm

RE: A How-To for beginners

Post by RedBunny »

Larry, I'm in the same boat as Richard III and I too have been following your AARs. I'd really appreciate the type of tutorial you're describing.

Regarding your question about presenting this as downloads or as a regular AAR - do whatever's easier for you! I'll be watching and learning. Thanks.
User avatar
larryfulkerson
Posts: 43070
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:06 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ,usa,sol, milkyway
Contact:

RE: A How-To for beginners

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: RedBunny
Larry, I'm in the same boat as Richard III and I too have been following your AARs. I'd really appreciate the type of tutorial you're describing.

Regarding your question about presenting this as downloads or as a regular AAR - do whatever's easier for you! I'll be watching and learning. Thanks.
Um......I can answer your questions faster if I do it in the AAR section as a dedicated AAR but the quality of the pictures is higher when I make it into something you can download. Decisions, decisions. Well, until I hear a groundswell of demand for it I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and save the AAR section for dedicated games. And save Matrix some disk space as a result. Look for part 2 of turn 1 in a post in about 12 hours or so. That's about what I spend on each one, roughly speaking.

EDIT: It's only been about 6 hours since I posted the original post on this bad boy and there's already been 11 downloads so I'm guessing that it's in demand and under request and the download method seems to work fine. Lemme know if there's somebody who just doesn't have the capacity or bandwidth or something and can't download something.
F16 Takeoff in the Rain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeinGOyKQGQ

10 Things Vietnam Lieutenants Never Told the Men They Led
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2YF3Hdhfzg
User avatar
Zovs
Posts: 9275
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:02 pm
Location: United States

RE: A How-To for beginners

Post by Zovs »

Do you mean something like:

tm.asp?m=2649216
Image
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
Tester for WDS games
User avatar
larryfulkerson
Posts: 43070
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:06 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ,usa,sol, milkyway
Contact:

RE: A How-To for beginners

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: dlazov66
Do you mean something like:

tm.asp?m=2649216
Yeah. We need more "bootcamps" from people. I enjoy reading them and I always learn something from them.
F16 Takeoff in the Rain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeinGOyKQGQ

10 Things Vietnam Lieutenants Never Told the Men They Led
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2YF3Hdhfzg
User avatar
larryfulkerson
Posts: 43070
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:06 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ,usa,sol, milkyway
Contact:

RE: A How-To for beginners

Post by larryfulkerson »

Turn 1 part 2 is ready.  There's not a lot for the Soviet player to do on turn 1 really.  There's more to the turns when there's more units to move.  Anyway, here's
part 2 of the documents:

Click here to download turn 1 part 2
F16 Takeoff in the Rain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeinGOyKQGQ

10 Things Vietnam Lieutenants Never Told the Men They Led
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2YF3Hdhfzg
User avatar
Ketza
Posts: 2228
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:11 am
Location: Columbia, Maryland

RE: A How-To for beginners

Post by Ketza »

I am considering doing an "Axis war diary" with an upcoming Axis game with very extensive first move reporting that may be helpfull to new Axis players as well.
User avatar
larryfulkerson
Posts: 43070
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:06 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ,usa,sol, milkyway
Contact:

RE: A How-To for beginners

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: Ketza
I am considering doing an "Axis war diary" with an upcoming Axis game with very extensive first move reporting that may be helpfull to new Axis players as well.
Great !!! I'd love to read something like that. Let me be the first to encourage you. Go for it.
F16 Takeoff in the Rain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeinGOyKQGQ

10 Things Vietnam Lieutenants Never Told the Men They Led
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2YF3Hdhfzg
User avatar
invernomuto
Posts: 944
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Turin, Italy

RE: A How-To for beginners

Post by invernomuto »

Thank you Larry, very useful for beginner!

User avatar
larryfulkerson
Posts: 43070
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:06 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ,usa,sol, milkyway
Contact:

RE: A How-To for beginners

Post by larryfulkerson »

You're sure welcome my friend.  America sez Hi to Italy.  Um.....turn 2 part  1 is ready now.  You can find it here:

Click here to download turn 2 part 1
Click here to download turn 2 part 2

F16 Takeoff in the Rain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeinGOyKQGQ

10 Things Vietnam Lieutenants Never Told the Men They Led
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2YF3Hdhfzg
User avatar
larryfulkerson
Posts: 43070
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:06 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ,usa,sol, milkyway
Contact:

RE: A How-To for beginners

Post by larryfulkerson »

Well.......it turns out there was a groundswell for this kind of thing.

Image
Attachments
zairlosses.gif
zairlosses.gif (57.63 KiB) Viewed 1298 times
F16 Takeoff in the Rain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeinGOyKQGQ

10 Things Vietnam Lieutenants Never Told the Men They Led
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2YF3Hdhfzg
olivier34
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 10:48 am
Location: montpellier

RE: A How-To for beginners

Post by olivier34 »

I am one of those guys how downloaded the first turn but not the 2nd one. Incredible job done but it seems that I am not anymore a beginner [:)]! But real beginners should jump on this amazing work !
User avatar
larryfulkerson
Posts: 43070
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:06 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ,usa,sol, milkyway
Contact:

RE: A How-To for beginners

Post by larryfulkerson »

Thanks Oliver34.  May I suggest the AAR called "Axis War Diary" by Ketza.  It's his "watch-over-my-shoulder" kind of AAR that I love.  

EDIT: I thought I'd add a link to get to Ketza's AAR:

Click here to open Axis War Diary.
F16 Takeoff in the Rain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeinGOyKQGQ

10 Things Vietnam Lieutenants Never Told the Men They Led
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2YF3Hdhfzg
User avatar
larryfulkerson
Posts: 43070
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:06 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ,usa,sol, milkyway
Contact:

RE: A How-To for beginners

Post by larryfulkerson »

Turn 3 part 1 is ready:

Click here to download turn 3 part 1
F16 Takeoff in the Rain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeinGOyKQGQ

10 Things Vietnam Lieutenants Never Told the Men They Led
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2YF3Hdhfzg
User avatar
larryfulkerson
Posts: 43070
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:06 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ,usa,sol, milkyway
Contact:

RE: A How-To for beginners

Post by larryfulkerson »

Turn 3 part 2 is ready :
Click here to download turn 3 part 2
F16 Takeoff in the Rain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeinGOyKQGQ

10 Things Vietnam Lieutenants Never Told the Men They Led
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2YF3Hdhfzg
User avatar
larryfulkerson
Posts: 43070
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:06 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ,usa,sol, milkyway
Contact:

RE: A How-To for beginners

Post by larryfulkerson »

Turn 3 part 3 is ready:

Click here to download turn 3 part 3
F16 Takeoff in the Rain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeinGOyKQGQ

10 Things Vietnam Lieutenants Never Told the Men They Led
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2YF3Hdhfzg
User avatar
larryfulkerson
Posts: 43070
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:06 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ,usa,sol, milkyway
Contact:

RE: A How-To for beginners

Post by larryfulkerson »

Turn 4 is ready for download:

Click here to download turn 4
F16 Takeoff in the Rain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeinGOyKQGQ

10 Things Vietnam Lieutenants Never Told the Men They Led
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2YF3Hdhfzg
User avatar
larryfulkerson
Posts: 43070
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:06 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ,usa,sol, milkyway
Contact:

RE: A How-To for beginners

Post by larryfulkerson »

Turn 5 is ready for download:

Click here to download turn 5
F16 Takeoff in the Rain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeinGOyKQGQ

10 Things Vietnam Lieutenants Never Told the Men They Led
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2YF3Hdhfzg
Post Reply

Return to “The War Room”