Question on Ports (No Baelfiin, please)

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Post Reply
User avatar
Q-Ball
Posts: 7855
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2002 4:43 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Question on Ports (No Baelfiin, please)

Post by Q-Ball »

I am playing game against Baelfiin as Soviets (he is running an AAR if you want to check it out; I think he's keeping it updated). Overall he's doing well in certain areas where he is concentrating, like a giant pocket he just dropped on my around Vyzama.

Down south, though, he is moving slow. He bypassed Odessa, leaving a 3-CV Rifle Div in the port, with size-4 forts. He occuplied all adjacent hexes, and Romanians are digging in. They are not attacking, though.

I am inclined to stay, as the only retreat path is an over-water rout, and with a defensive CV of 30+, it will take Germans probably to get me moved.

The way things are moving, he will not enter the Crimea this summer.

If I keep Sevastopol, will that mean Odessa is always in supply?

If he does attack, will that unit rout to Sevastopol (Or other port in the Crimea?)

I am not 100% familiar with Port ZOC mechanics, so checking on this while I can still sail that unit out if I need to
User avatar
heliodorus04
Posts: 1653
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:11 pm
Location: Nashville TN

RE: Question on Ports (No Baelfiin, please)

Post by heliodorus04 »

From past experience, as long as you hold any other port east of Odessa, Odessa will be in supply.

When attacked in combat, again from personal experience (from playing Soviet and German), units in Odessa will route to the Crimea.
Fall 2021-Playing: Stalingrad'42 (GMT); Advanced Squad Leader,
Reading: Masters of the Air (GREAT BOOK!)
Rulebooks: ASL (always ASL), Middle-Earth Strategy Battle Game
Painting: WHFB Lizardmen leaders
User avatar
Q-Ball
Posts: 7855
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2002 4:43 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

RE: Question on Ports (No Baelfiin, please)

Post by Q-Ball »

Thanks!

You know, if Baelfiin had left ONE hex adjacent to Odessa un-occupied, I probably would have just left. Oversight on his part. That's because the unit will retreat into that hex, isolating itself, instead of routing to safety. I would give up the port before dooming a good division to destruction.

Lesson to everyone on that...leave an open hex next to Odessa
Texasgrunt
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:47 pm

RE: Question on Ports (No Baelfiin, please)

Post by Texasgrunt »

I played an interesting game vs the AI where I held Odessa and in Ovtober bagan to amph in rifle divns on the coast all the way to just north of Constanta. Eventually took the port. That caused no small amount of disruption!!
Destroy the enemy's army, then you can do what you will with his land, cattle and women.
Post Reply

Return to “The War Room”