pbem opportunity fire?

New Recruits check in here! Vets debate the fine points! Tactics discussion, FAQ and "how-to" help.
If you are new to the SP:WaW community post an introduction please!

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
Widi
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2002 8:40 am

pbem opportunity fire?

Post by Widi »

Am looking at starting a pbem game soon. A first for me with SPWAW.

My question is, how is opportunity fire handled? Is it removed entirely or is there some method to 'program' it?

A brief comment would be appreciated.

-Widi
Capt. Pixel
Posts: 1178
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: pbem opportunity fire?

Post by Capt. Pixel »

Originally posted by Widi
Am looking at starting a pbem game soon. A first for me with SPWAW.

My question is, how is opportunity fire handled? Is it removed entirely or is there some method to 'program' it?

A brief comment would be appreciated.

-Widi
Opp Fire is handled automatically in a PBEM game. The only way you can control your units is to set the range ('Y' key) to limit their range of fire so they don't shoot at anything that moves, (which they WILL do!), only enemy units that move within your stated range.

Your units will respond with Opp Fire if they're shot at during your opponent's turn. So he can still draw your unit's Opp Fire out. Such is life. :rolleyes:

Consequently, I don't even play scenarios or battles with the manual Opp Fire response anymore. I don't want to develop any bad habits :D
"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson
User avatar
sztartur2
Posts: 670
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2002 9:59 pm
Location: Budapest,Hungary

Post by sztartur2 »

Hi!

I don't like manual op. fire handling as well. It takes too long and I don't think it is realistic. An officer can set the range and direction of fire but cannot tell every soldier to shoot or not.

Artur
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.", Sun Tzu
challenge
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Post by challenge »

On the tactical scale of the game you are telling every squad and vehicle what weapons to use. I would think "don't fire at the AFV with your rifles" or "don't use the 37 AT against that jeep," would be a valid order at that complexity level.

I like using it during on-line games because I hate wasting AT rounds on soft targets and HE at targets I can't hope to even annoy. Doesn't it bug you to fire the 20 mm that ran out of AT at a tiger and give away your position for nothing? The same set up against an Inf unit would at least get you some suppression if not kills.
Challenge

War is unhealthy for die-stamped cardboard and other paper products.
Image
User avatar
sztartur2
Posts: 670
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2002 9:59 pm
Location: Budapest,Hungary

Post by sztartur2 »

Hi!

Settings like "fire AT weapon at main battle tanks" would be useful. You shpuld suggest it on the Combat leader forum.

Until then you have to set some of your unit's op. fire range to 0.

Artur
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.", Sun Tzu
challenge
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Post by challenge »

I agree with your basic idea, sztartur, but I was pointing out that at the level of the game, and due to the rules, your only option to firing at everything besides setting the range to 0 is the op fire option switch. Then you have control over whether your AT gun or MG squad fire at the available target or not. I know it slows the game when going hth, but I hate wasting shots, as I said, so I tend to prefer having that capability. Of course, I like having C&C on as well. :p
Challenge

War is unhealthy for die-stamped cardboard and other paper products.
Image
Capt. Pixel
Posts: 1178
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Tucson, AZ

Post by Capt. Pixel »

Setting your Opp Fire range to zero is great for your more 'stealthy' units (like recon and snipers). You really shouldn't let those type of units fire automatically anyway.

Even infantry should be set to a reduced range when there are serious threats to their safety around (like big, bad tanks)

If your scouts or infantry or jeeps are shooting at things at long range during Opp Fire, they probably won't be there when you get your turn back. :)

An additional note concerning setting Range. Having your armor set to respond at their maximum range isn't usually a good idea either. Most units have a very small chance of hitting a moving target beyond 16-20 hexes. The undesirable results from that situation is that you reveal your units to your opponent, and you waste your ammunition. (This isn't always true. I've had my a$$ capped at range more than once :rolleyes: )

Experiment and develop your own style and preferences. :cool:
"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson
User avatar
Belisarius
Posts: 3099
Joined: Sat May 26, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Contact:

Post by Belisarius »

Au contraire

I agree totally with setting short fire ranges for infantry units, and especially scouts - BUT - tanks are doing fine with a long-range setting. If they are somewhat focused, they can kill or at least stun the approaching enemy. Better yet - if the enemy don't come in herds, it's a good chance the poor fellas at the receiving end won't even discover the tank. A *boom* right out of nowhere. :cool:
Image
Got StuG?
JediMessiah
Posts: 156
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Elmhurst, Il, USA
Contact:

Post by JediMessiah »

i enjoy manual op fire control...thats why i like online play


though sometimes you can even get a live opponent to chase you and waste opfire shots..;)

-jedimessiah
"Karate means never having to say you're sorry"
-E. Andrew Kovich
Post Reply

Return to “SP:WaW Training Center”