How to Destroy Hidden Pirate base without Planet Control?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Post Reply
User avatar
Locarnus
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 4:47 pm
Location: Earth, Sol

How to Destroy Hidden Pirate base without Planet Control?

Post by Locarnus »

There is a pirate base on a planet I do not control.
I want that base removed.
How do I do that?

I m a rival pirate faction, so taking the planet is not an option.
I can send in a bunch of assault pods, but they leave the enemy pirate base untouched.

This is really annoying. I just want to wipe that base/pirate faction!
It seems when a pirate faction builds a base, that planet belongs to that pirate faction no matter what,eg no matter the 100k Troops and 30 ships of a rival pirate faction.

The same problem goes when I play a normal empire and pirates have bases on other empires planets. How do I get rid of them without taking the planet? I dont want the planet! I just want the pirate base (and the income/influence) gone...
You know, the standard way of invading to push enemy influence out and then installing your own crony network to prey on the economy, while leaving the locals in "charge"...

This is just bad...
Considering the previous "patching" experience, I hope I dont have to pay 23€ for the next addon to get a bugfix for this very annoying bug...
User avatar
CyclopsSlayer
Posts: 583
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:49 pm

RE: How to Destroy Hidden Pirate base without Planet Control?

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

This is largely why I haven't extinguished a Pirate faction in recent memory.

I have seen that when you have an attack on a base in progress, that any landing Pirates forces from other factions will join the attack to help destroy the base.

As well, it is annoying beyond belief having a large force on the ground, ships in orbit, and still a destroyed Base gets rebuilt almost instantly
LoweN
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:01 pm

RE: How to Destroy Hidden Pirate base without Planet Control?

Post by LoweN »

Well, you could find a devastation moon, repair it using a construction ship, and then blow up the planet. That would work.
User avatar
Locarnus
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 4:47 pm
Location: Earth, Sol

RE: How to Destroy Hidden Pirate base without Planet Control?

Post by Locarnus »

Well, I can also just use the editor, delete the independent colony (cant delete the facility alone), then plant a new one with similar population values. (Of course without the influences).

The problem is, the 10 other Pirate AI factions cant do that...
Fenrisfil
Posts: 216
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:24 am

RE: How to Destroy Hidden Pirate base without Planet Control?

Post by Fenrisfil »

I seem to remember that pirates used to destroy facilities including pirate bases, but the problem then was you kept destroying your own bases. I don't believe they ever intended to stop you destroying enemy pirate bases with raids, so certainly seems a like a patch introduced bug.

I also don't know why normal empires can't raid. Sure, they should take a small reputation hit (unless at war) to put them off doing it as often as pirates, but it seems like a perfectly valid tactic for a galactic empire to take and would at least provide some opportunity to destroy those bases without taking or blowing up the planet.
AMD Phenom II X4 3.2ghz, 16gb ram, 64bit Windows 7, Radeon HD6900.
Canute0
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:43 am
Location: Germany

RE: How to Destroy Hidden Pirate base without Planet Control?

Post by Canute0 »

I can send in a bunch of assault pods, but they leave the enemy pirate base untouched.

There is only a chance that a raid damage a base.
You need to raid the planet a few times before the enemy base is destroyed.
User avatar
Locarnus
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 4:47 pm
Location: Earth, Sol

RE: How to Destroy Hidden Pirate base without Planet Control?

Post by Locarnus »

ORIGINAL: Fenrisfil

I seem to remember that pirates used to destroy facilities including pirate bases, but the problem then was you kept destroying your own bases. I don't believe they ever intended to stop you destroying enemy pirate bases with raids, so certainly seems a like a patch introduced bug.

I also don't know why normal empires can't raid. Sure, they should take a small reputation hit (unless at war) to put them off doing it as often as pirates, but it seems like a perfectly valid tactic for a galactic empire to take and would at least provide some opportunity to destroy those bases without taking or blowing up the planet.

Hm, ok.
And yes, it would be really nice if normal empires can raid too. If an empire just wont make peace the player could raid their homeworld, which should make them want peace...

ORIGINAL: Canute

There is only a chance that a raid damage a base.
You need to raid the planet a few times before the enemy base is destroyed.

Thanks, will try that. Still would prefer it if I could specifically target the pirate base. Maybe in the ground resolution screen when my troops are on the ground?
Fenrisfil
Posts: 216
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:24 am

RE: How to Destroy Hidden Pirate base without Planet Control?

Post by Fenrisfil »

Perhaps they should simply add an option to the drop down menu "Attack Pirate Base".
AMD Phenom II X4 3.2ghz, 16gb ram, 64bit Windows 7, Radeon HD6900.
Canute0
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:43 am
Location: Germany

RE: How to Destroy Hidden Pirate base without Planet Control?

Post by Canute0 »

Why do you think they are called "hidden" ? :-)

Post Reply

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”