Is that gamey?
Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition
Is that gamey?
I'm curious as to what players consider to be gamey. For example:
When ships or troops are due to be withdrawn, I trade out the commander if they're worth saving. Is that gamey?
At least a month before air groups are due to be withdrawn, I'll try to 'upgrade' the planes with older planes. Is that gamey?
If an LCU is scheduled to be withdrawn, I keep reinforcements off. I also try to use it up in combat without getting it destroyed, then park it in a safe spot until it disappears. Is that gamey?
Feel free to comment on these and add your own "Is that gamey?"
When ships or troops are due to be withdrawn, I trade out the commander if they're worth saving. Is that gamey?
At least a month before air groups are due to be withdrawn, I'll try to 'upgrade' the planes with older planes. Is that gamey?
If an LCU is scheduled to be withdrawn, I keep reinforcements off. I also try to use it up in combat without getting it destroyed, then park it in a safe spot until it disappears. Is that gamey?
Feel free to comment on these and add your own "Is that gamey?"
RE: Is that gamey?
I strip air groups off, and try to use the ship to fuel others. If I could, I'd steal the light bulbs and toilet paper too! [:D] Gamey? Consider this....you are the "Grand-poo-bah" of your side. On the Japanese side, the IJN and the IJA speak with one voice. Gamey? OH YOU BETCHA![:D]
On the Allied side, FDR, Churchill ,Chaing Kai shek, Mae Ze Dung, Macarthur, John Curtin , and a whole bunch of leaders are total in agreement in everything. Oh, sure, like THAT's realistic. [:D][:D][:D] Point is, this IS a game. Unless you are doing something to exploit a problem in the programing to gain an edge over your problem , it might be gamey , but that's ok. WHAT YOU and your opponent think is gamey is all that matters. If you consider an act to be "unsportsmanlike", then don't do it. (Unless you are totally happy with being a louse and a jerk![:D]).
opinions are like rear ends. Everyone has at least one. And everybody's stinks but yours. [:D]
The real question you need to ask is "do I feel right doing this act".
On the Allied side, FDR, Churchill ,Chaing Kai shek, Mae Ze Dung, Macarthur, John Curtin , and a whole bunch of leaders are total in agreement in everything. Oh, sure, like THAT's realistic. [:D][:D][:D] Point is, this IS a game. Unless you are doing something to exploit a problem in the programing to gain an edge over your problem , it might be gamey , but that's ok. WHAT YOU and your opponent think is gamey is all that matters. If you consider an act to be "unsportsmanlike", then don't do it. (Unless you are totally happy with being a louse and a jerk![:D]).
opinions are like rear ends. Everyone has at least one. And everybody's stinks but yours. [:D]
The real question you need to ask is "do I feel right doing this act".
RE: Is that gamey?
+1 to what Lecivius and Steve said. And mine in bold, as you did ask:
ORIGINAL: Flicker
I'm curious as to what players consider to be gamey. For example:
When ships or troops are due to be withdrawn, I trade out the commander if they're worth saving. Is that gamey? Not at all.
At least a month before air groups are due to be withdrawn, I'll try to 'upgrade' the planes with older planes. Is that gamey? Naw, but I don't like to do it. No problem if my opponent wants to do so, though. BTW, I use all available groups for training pilots, so on withdrawal day I pull all the pilots.
If an LCU is scheduled to be withdrawn, I keep reinforcements off. Not gamey. I also try to use it up in combat without getting it destroyed remember that losing electrons unnecessarily counts toward you doing poorly, including in VP count if you pay attention to them., then park it in a safe spot until it disappears. Is that gamey? No.
Feel free to comment on these and add your own "Is that gamey?"
Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/view/staffmonkeys/home
- DuckofTindalos
- Posts: 39781
- Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
- Location: Denmark
RE: Is that gamey?
I usually go by the standard of "if I have ask whether something is gamey, then it probably is", but the ones listed by "Flicker" are very minor league.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
- Chickenboy
- Posts: 24648
- Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
- Location: San Antonio, TX
RE: Is that gamey?
ORIGINAL: Flicker
When ships or troops are due to be withdrawn, I trade out the commander if they're worth saving. Is that gamey?
Not at all. Use the on-map resources the way you see fit. As Steve said, strip out any air groups, use the fuel up and dump any decent commanders from the ship back to your pool.
Nope. Do it all the time. Makes good sense.At least a month before air groups are due to be withdrawn, I'll try to 'upgrade' the planes with older planes. Is that gamey?
Nope. If you intentionally suicide attacked with it for the sole express purpose of killing it off and having it regenerate magically elsewhere, that would be questionable. But what you're doing doesn't sound problematic.If an LCU is scheduled to be withdrawn, I keep reinforcements off. I also try to use it up in combat without getting it destroyed, then park it in a safe spot until it disappears. Is that gamey?
ETA: This is against a human PBEM, of course. The computer AI cheats like a m*****-******. I wouldn't hesitate to use any exploits against it that I could.

RE: Is that gamey?
Nothing is gamey if your opponent thinks that it's OK to do. Still there are things that I would never consider doing because nobody in their right mind wouldn't consider them gamey. A good rule of thumb would be to ask yourself how you would feel from the other side about it being done.
I consider myself a self admitted cheater as I've told my PBEM opponent, Steve, as our WITP GC finally winds down. After all I am playing the Allies.
I consider myself a self admitted cheater as I've told my PBEM opponent, Steve, as our WITP GC finally winds down. After all I am playing the Allies.
Todd
I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
RE: Is that gamey?
Thanks for the responses.
My circumstances don't allow playing PBEM, so my opponent is that cheating mofo of an AI. However I play using some of the more common House Rules: no 4E naval attack under 10K, pay PPs to cross national boundaries, no outrageous HQ swaps, etc. I try to emulate playing against a human as much as possible.
I play with VPs somewhat in mind. For example I've got a US / CAN construction effort focused on building up airfields. Um, is that gamey?
I also don't like losing troops, so suicide missions are generally frowned upon. However I have seen fragments attack so that the parent unit will be whole. For example, I've seen the Dutch rig an abandoned ovelwagon (too big for the Catalina) with a brick on the accelerator and run it into the Japanese.
My circumstances don't allow playing PBEM, so my opponent is that cheating mofo of an AI. However I play using some of the more common House Rules: no 4E naval attack under 10K, pay PPs to cross national boundaries, no outrageous HQ swaps, etc. I try to emulate playing against a human as much as possible.
I play with VPs somewhat in mind. For example I've got a US / CAN construction effort focused on building up airfields. Um, is that gamey?
I also don't like losing troops, so suicide missions are generally frowned upon. However I have seen fragments attack so that the parent unit will be whole. For example, I've seen the Dutch rig an abandoned ovelwagon (too big for the Catalina) with a brick on the accelerator and run it into the Japanese.
RE: Is that gamey?
Building bases is not gamey. Switch to the AI side and see how many bases the AI is building. You will be ashamed.
RE: Is that gamey?
ORIGINAL: Yaab
Building bases is not gamey. Switch to the AI side and see how many bases the AI is building. You will be ashamed.
My yardstick for measuring how well I'm doing as the Japanese is looking at the AI's fortifying efforts. I never measure up.
The bases in CONUS are only worth what, 1 or 2 VPs to the Allied player? Building them up won't help that much, but if you're trying to fight off autovictory...every one you improve with your swarm of engineers increases the denominator for your opponent, requiring 4 or 8 additional VPs on their end for each base improvement that you achieve.
- Bullwinkle58
- Posts: 11297
- Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:47 pm
RE: Is that gamey?
ORIGINAL: Lokasenna
ORIGINAL: Yaab
Building bases is not gamey. Switch to the AI side and see how many bases the AI is building. You will be ashamed.
My yardstick for measuring how well I'm doing as the Japanese is looking at the AI's fortifying efforts. I never measure up.
The bases in CONUS are only worth what, 1 or 2 VPs to the Allied player? Building them up won't help that much, but if you're trying to fight off autovictory...every one you improve with your swarm of engineers increases the denominator for your opponent, requiring 4 or 8 additional VPs on their end for each base improvement that you achieve.
Some CONUS bases have a base VP of 2-3, but they can be built to a dozen. They add up. Las Vegas for example. It's a dust bowl. But move a 1/3 split of an infantry regiment with 3-4 engineers and leave it alone and pretty soon you have AF 7 and some VPs. CONUS bases never, ever are short of supply. The white restricted units don't have to squat and wait to withdraw. They can be put to work.
The Moose
-
HexHead
- Posts: 464
- Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:27 pm
- Location: I'm from New Hampshire; I only work in cyberspace
RE: Is that gamey?
Why the combat LCU frag? Why not just the Engs?
"Goddamn it, they're gittin' away!!"
- unknown tincan sailor near the end of Leyte Gulf, when Kurita retired
- unknown tincan sailor near the end of Leyte Gulf, when Kurita retired
- castor troy
- Posts: 14331
- Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:17 am
- Location: Austria
RE: Is that gamey?
ORIGINAL: HexHead
Why the combat LCU frag? Why not just the Engs?
because nearly all eng units aren't restricted and you can move them out of CONUS and they are really needed everywhere else in the first year. In 44/45 you have so many of them you might not to know what to do with them but in the beginning you never have enough.
- Bullwinkle58
- Posts: 11297
- Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:47 pm
RE: Is that gamey?
ORIGINAL: castor troy
ORIGINAL: HexHead
Why the combat LCU frag? Why not just the Engs?
because nearly all eng units aren't restricted and you can move them out of CONUS and they are really needed everywhere else in the first year. In 44/45 you have so many of them you might not to know what to do with them but in the beginning you never have enough.
That. In early 1942 a real base force is worth about what an infantry regiment is worth.
The Moose
RE: Is that gamey?
Do the Russian bases count for the Allies?
I always start fortifying and building in early '42. Takes me about a half-hours to go through all the Russian bases and start building.
Easy VP's?
Don't know -- but I'd do it whether VP's were involved or not.
Regards,
Feltan
I always start fortifying and building in early '42. Takes me about a half-hours to go through all the Russian bases and start building.
Easy VP's?
Don't know -- but I'd do it whether VP's were involved or not.
Regards,
Feltan
-
HexHead
- Posts: 464
- Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:27 pm
- Location: I'm from New Hampshire; I only work in cyberspace
RE: Is that gamey?
ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58
ORIGINAL: castor troy
ORIGINAL: HexHead
Why the combat LCU frag? Why not just the Engs?
because nearly all eng units aren't restricted and you can move them out of CONUS and they are really needed everywhere else in the first year. In 44/45 you have so many of them you might not to know what to do with them but in the beginning you never have enough.
That. In early 1942 a real base force is worth about what an infantry regiment is worth.
Gentlemen, I don't think you understand what I'm asking.
Why the Inf unit - at all? I have noticed some Inf Divs have Eng elements - so, are you implying that an Inf frag (with Eng elements) is what you are using? To get the Eng squads, in any form, yeah - but as originally stated, all I can infer is a small combat element. Being a player who is still a bit wet behind the ears, if this was an inference I should have understood, my apologies pro forma. IOW, I didn't understand why the Inf, unless it's for attached Engs.
"Goddamn it, they're gittin' away!!"
- unknown tincan sailor near the end of Leyte Gulf, when Kurita retired
- unknown tincan sailor near the end of Leyte Gulf, when Kurita retired
- Bullwinkle58
- Posts: 11297
- Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:47 pm
RE: Is that gamey?
ORIGINAL: HexHead
ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58
ORIGINAL: castor troy
because nearly all eng units aren't restricted and you can move them out of CONUS and they are really needed everywhere else in the first year. In 44/45 you have so many of them you might not to know what to do with them but in the beginning you never have enough.
That. In early 1942 a real base force is worth about what an infantry regiment is worth.
Gentlemen, I don't think you understand what I'm asking.
Why the Inf unit - at all? I have noticed some Inf Divs have Eng elements - so, are you implying that an Inf frag (with Eng elements) is what you are using? To get the Eng squads, in any form, yeah - but as originally stated, all I can infer is a small combat element. Being a player who is still a bit wet behind the ears, if this was an inference I should have understood, my apologies pro forma. IOW, I didn't understand why the Inf, unless it's for attached Engs.
It's for the engineers, yes. You have to check device lists. No engineers no building. Just like some base forces have aviation support, and many don't. My main points were 1) don't forget to build CONUS because VPs are VPs and 2) engineers are where you find them early on. Do what you have to do to get building. White restricted does not equal useless in CONUS.
The Moose
RE: Is that gamey?
Building bases deep in CONUS is pursuing a strategy that makes no sense in the real world to take advantage of part of the simulation that the designers probably did not consider.
Upping the autovic denominator in this way takes autovictory off the table for the Japanese.
With those two things in mind, it is something that you might want to talk to your opponent about.
Upping the autovic denominator in this way takes autovictory off the table for the Japanese.
With those two things in mind, it is something that you might want to talk to your opponent about.
RE: Is that gamey?
I'm sure they did consider it. The VP there are very small for the Allied payer. Remember that the VP for a base has different values for the Japanese than for the Allies.
Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/view/staffmonkeys/home
- Bullwinkle58
- Posts: 11297
- Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:47 pm
RE: Is that gamey?
ORIGINAL: witpqs
I'm sure they did consider it. The VP there are very small for the Allied payer. Remember that the VP for a base has different values for the Japanese than for the Allies.
No HRs. No discussion. Play the design.
Japan has building opportunities at home too.
The Moose









