Ruining a competitor empire economically

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Post Reply
Wizaerd
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 1:13 am

Ruining a competitor empire economically

Post by Wizaerd »

I'm curious if it's possible some way to ruin an empire strictly economically? No war, no actual clashes of military might, just manipulate the economy that they'll eventually just go broke and get eaten up? I know it's possible to use spies to do some sabotage, but can you do enough of it to ruin an empire?

I doubt it's possible in this game, but I always wanted to secretly raid another empire, capture some of their ships, then using those ship as disguise, attack another empire and have them think it's the faction from whom I stole the ships from.

How much sneaky and underhanded approaches are there to play this game?
ReadeB
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:15 am

RE: Ruining a competitor empire economically

Post by ReadeB »

I do that by invading their high quality/GDP colonies and declaring peace.

The AI ends up scrapping fleets and spaceports etc to stay in the black.
User avatar
Locarnus
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 4:47 pm
Location: Earth, Sol

RE: Ruining a competitor empire economically

Post by Locarnus »

No, I guess that would not be possible without military clashes.

Although, it does not need to involve your military.
You can just finance pirates and give them missions to destroy the enemies installations/attack colonies.
With enough strong pirates in the vicinity, you can kill the enemy economy.
Like England used the pirates in the 16th century to deal with conventional spanish naval superiority.
User avatar
btd64
Posts: 15209
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:48 am
Location: Lancaster, OHIO

RE: Ruining a competitor empire economically

Post by btd64 »

If you have enough agents you can also go after their gas mining stations only. Loss a few of them and soon they will start to have fuel problems. GP
IntelUltra7 16cores, 32gb ram, NvidiaGeForceRTX 2050
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
WIS Manual Team Lead & Beta Support Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command" Gen. George S. Patton
WiS Discord channel coming soon....
User avatar
towerbooks3192
Posts: 337
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:11 pm

RE: Ruining a competitor empire economically

Post by towerbooks3192 »

ORIGINAL: General Patton

If you have enough agents you can also go after their gas mining stations only. Loss a few of them and soon they will start to have fuel problems. GP

Thank you George!! Never thought of that. I will use it in my current war.
et ignobiles oblivio
Wizaerd
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 1:13 am

RE: Ruining a competitor empire economically

Post by Wizaerd »

Maybe I read too much, but I've always wanted to be the sneaky underhanded leader, in the background juggling people and different threads, setting other empires against one another while my public face is all about benevolence and compassion. The Senator Palpatine approach to rising to power...
Post Reply

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”