Originally posted by DavidW75
bump.
Ah, yes, thanks for jogging my memory!
I had gone to great lengths to line up as much free time over the holidays as possible to put on the final push to get Flashpoint to beta. For a variety of reasons this didn't work out as planned, but I made tolerable progress none the less. If I understand David Heath (long may he prosper) correctly then we are now quite close to opening things up a bit more. ("Rob, I ought to biff you in the head - this thing was ready to beta months ago - oh look, I just nuked something and I didn't even know how!" which I interpret as New York-ese for "Congratulations on a job well done Robert, you many consider pre-production and alpha testing to be complete in just a couple more weeks - get cracking on the documentation".)
The illustrious Ross Moorehouse who is in charge of the beta testing also gave it a whirl recently and wrote to me saying "Man I had fun playing this". "Fun" is something that is hard to find from my perspective just because I have been so close to the project for so long, but this has to be a good sign too. He also appended a list of no fewer than 17 exceptions thrown by the game as it played out. 16 of them though were identical string handling faults in the pathfinder where it checks for water obstacles, so that was a relatively easy fix.
To properly go into beta either the AI or PBEM have to be working. I elected to go PBEM to start and all I need is one more clear day to properly debug it once and for all. There are a lot of complicated state changes involved so I can't just do 20 minutes here or there. I have to do one continuous session to make sure I don't create more bugs than I solve, and finding the time has been a daily battle for the last three weeks. Soon though.
Apart from that, there is a ton more documentation to do and then the actual criticism and feedback will start from an increasing number of people. The exact timing will be up to David and Ross of course.
I have a fairly long list of unfinished features and rewrites to do, but they can pretty much be done during beta testing. David is eager now to expose the basic game engine and garner feedback so that we can figure out what parts to jazz up next.
There, feel any better now?
Cheers, Rob.