Bombardment TF Mechanics

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Post Reply
User avatar
Admiral DadMan
Posts: 3426
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2002 10:00 am
Location: A Lion uses all its might to catch a Rabbit

Bombardment TF Mechanics

Post by Admiral DadMan »

I'm wondering if either I'm not doing this right or Bombardment TFs are malfunctioning.

As it used to be, if the TF had movement of 9/4 and was set to Retirement Allowed, it would line up at its max (9 hexes), high-speed run in, bombard at night, then high-speed run out.

Do I have this right?
Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
Image
User avatar
crsutton
Posts: 9590
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:56 pm
Location: Maryland

RE: Bombardment TF Mechanics

Post by crsutton »

Yes, under ideal conditions, this is what should happen. But at a max run distance things can happen that will delay or slow up the TF, such as surface combat, or just harassment by multiple PT TFs. Running over a mine will slow them down as well. This will cause the bombardment Tf to either expend OP in combat or in the case of damage slow it down. If your TF burns up enough OP points then it may find itself delayed near the target and subject to air attack. But normally, set the force at "mission" speed, make sure they have not already used up OP points (refueling) and set them to bombard any target within 9 hexes. They should then run in and out at full speed and be well away from the target by daylight.

I will say that there are times that my bombardment force has not run out it full length and for no apparent reason that I can determine. This might happen one out of ten times. Could just be a factor of randomness factored into the game. Dunno for sure.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
User avatar
rustysi
Posts: 7472
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:23 am
Location: LI, NY

RE: Bombardment TF Mechanics

Post by rustysi »

AFAIK, but that's not saying much. I'm not having problems getting Bombardment TF's to work. Maybe some more info might be useful.

Rusty
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
User avatar
Admiral DadMan
Posts: 3426
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2002 10:00 am
Location: A Lion uses all its might to catch a Rabbit

RE: Bombardment TF Mechanics

Post by Admiral DadMan »

It was a pretty simple set up. It went in undetected, experienced no other contacts or air attacks, did its thing, and hit the road. Must be something I'm not seeing, like DD refueling.
Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
Image
User avatar
Bullwinkle58
Posts: 11297
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:47 pm

RE: Bombardment TF Mechanics

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Admiral DadMan

It was a pretty simple set up. It went in undetected, experienced no other contacts or air attacks, did its thing, and hit the road. Must be something I'm not seeing, like DD refueling.

Were there any reefs?
The Moose
pelthunter
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:48 pm

RE: Bombardment TF Mechanics

Post by pelthunter »

Air threat or multiple task forces in target hex, or at almost max move range can postpone the move.

Change TF move setting, threat tolerance to "absolute" or what the max was and route to direct.
I made exceptional effort to understand why one would try to deny existing fact and disclaim well documented history. I failed.
User avatar
Admiral DadMan
Posts: 3426
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2002 10:00 am
Location: A Lion uses all its might to catch a Rabbit

RE: Bombardment TF Mechanics

Post by Admiral DadMan »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

ORIGINAL: Admiral DadMan

It was a pretty simple set up. It went in undetected, experienced no other contacts or air attacks, did its thing, and hit the road. Must be something I'm not seeing, like DD refueling.

Were there any reefs?
There might have been, but the TF routed around it. Oh well, I'll keep testing it.
Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
Image
User avatar
Bullwinkle58
Posts: 11297
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:47 pm

RE: Bombardment TF Mechanics

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Admiral DadMan

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

ORIGINAL: Admiral DadMan

It was a pretty simple set up. It went in undetected, experienced no other contacts or air attacks, did its thing, and hit the road. Must be something I'm not seeing, like DD refueling.

Were there any reefs?
There might have been, but the TF routed around it. Oh well, I'll keep testing it.

Depending on the target the hex count to the base may be fine but it may take two or three extra hexes to get in and out. Look at Port Blair for instance.
The Moose
User avatar
Admiral DadMan
Posts: 3426
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2002 10:00 am
Location: A Lion uses all its might to catch a Rabbit

RE: Bombardment TF Mechanics

Post by Admiral DadMan »

Funny you mention that spot. It went right around the reefs, but then stalled on the way out.
Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
Image
Post Reply

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”