What are the signs of a poor opening German offensive?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Post Reply
Amnese
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:57 pm

What are the signs of a poor opening German offensive?

Post by Amnese »

As I've noted in a few recent posts here, I'm just learning WitE, and I've commenced my first full campaign as the Germans against the Russian AI [again, just to learn the ropes].

I'm 7 turns in, and my main concern is that I'm really unsure how my offensive is going.

My northern push wasn't too great, and I'm still about 10 hexes from Leningrad. I've been doing okay in the middle, and am about 10 hexes from Moscow. While in the south there's virtually no opposition, I'm held outside the Crimea, but have captured Dnepropetrovsk.

But of course, capturing ground is only one part of it. I'm worried I haven't destroyed enough Soviet material. Soviet losses are [only?] 800,000. Fortunately I've only lost about 60,000 myself. Furthermore, my offensives have all pretty much ground to a halt for the time being.

When I compare to a few other AARs on here, it looks like I've captured more ground, but have inflicted far fewer casualties. Not quite knowing 'what happens next' for the Russians, I'm concerned this may not be enough.

What are some of the signs you look for in an opening German offensive? Is there a point where you can look at something in particular and say 'Nup, we haven't done enough here, we're doomed'? Or is it more of a vibe you get from experience?



User avatar
RKhan
Posts: 412
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:25 pm
Location: My Secret Bunker

RE: What are the signs of a poor opening German offensive?

Post by RKhan »

The answer has to depend on your objectives, but IMO:

Open pockets, or no pockets
Not crossing the Dnepr somewhere in strength by T6
Cutoff panzer spearheads
Allowing the Soviets to dig in along your chosen line of advance.

RKhan
Cavalry Corp
Posts: 4315
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:28 pm
Location: Sampford Spiney Devon UK

RE: What are the signs of a poor opening German offensive?

Post by Cavalry Corp »

Good posts - I am starting the same way - I feel that destruction by pocketing is the first objective. After that all else can follow.
Post Reply

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”