Static SAM Out of Weapon Dynamic Launch Zone

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Post Reply
reezing
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:46 pm

Static SAM Out of Weapon Dynamic Launch Zone

Post by reezing »

I have a group of Su-24s armed with AS-12 ARMS pitted against a static SA-3C. The AS-12 has a range of 20nm, but even at 36000 feet altitude and 16nm range to target I get the message that the target is out of the DLZ. Why would a static target with a known location be out of the DLZ?

Also, is there any way I can override DLZ settings? I rather miss the target than risk entering into the SAM's engagement zone.
Attachments
IronHand.zip
(151.42 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
User avatar
dcpollay
Posts: 573
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:58 am
Location: Upstate New York USA

RE: Static SAM Out of Weapon Dynamic Launch Zone

Post by dcpollay »

The Dynamic Launch Zone has a number of conditions you must meet. Some things to start with...

Are your aircraft and ARMs pointed at the target? If your group is loitering and circling away from the target, they will not be able to engage.
Will that missile fire from that height? Systems have varying altitude requirements. Check the weapon database for altitude requirements.
Is the SA-3 site emitting? There must be a radar signal for the ARM to lock onto. It is not enough to know the location.

If they don't work, maybe someone else has some other suggestions.

"It's all according to how your boogaloo situation stands, you understand."

Formerly known as Colonel Mustard, before I got Slitherine Syndrome.
reezing
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:46 pm

RE: Static SAM Out of Weapon Dynamic Launch Zone

Post by reezing »

1. Yes the aircraft is facing the target.
2. The aircraft is well within the launch altitude
3. SA-3 Site is continuously emitting

Anyways, the error message for all 3 of the above situations would be different from what I am getting right now.

I redirected the aircraft to SA-4s south of its current location and the missiles launched as soon as I entered the 20nm circle on the map.
User avatar
wild_Willie2
Posts: 2934
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Arnhem (holland) yes a bridge to far...

RE: Static SAM Out of Weapon Dynamic Launch Zone

Post by wild_Willie2 »

Ah yes, the ALARM also has this nasty tendency. You can only launch them well within their max range, even at max altitude.

Would be nice to see what the devs make of this one.

W.
In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.
thewood1
Posts: 10420
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:24 pm
Location: Boston

RE: Static SAM Out of Weapon Dynamic Launch Zone

Post by thewood1 »

I am asking because I don't know...can the ALARM detect a SA-3's radar? Not sure and never looked before.
User avatar
Dysta
Posts: 1909
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:32 pm

RE: Static SAM Out of Weapon Dynamic Launch Zone

Post by Dysta »

Run the savefile recently, the AS-12 just met the DLZ while SA-3 is already launched, but the missile still need time to detect it. As Willie said, air launch ARM has to work within the max range:

Image
RoryAndersonCDT
Posts: 1828
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:45 pm

RE: Static SAM Out of Weapon Dynamic Launch Zone

Post by RoryAndersonCDT »

Need to climb higher to get the most range out of your missiles

Image

Here I am able to engage SAM site out of its range using your save.
Command Dev Team
Technical Lead
Dimitris
Posts: 16004
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:29 am
Contact:

RE: Static SAM Out of Weapon Dynamic Launch Zone

Post by Dimitris »

It's often overlooked that DLZ calcs take into account not only target position/altitude and velocity, but also the same properties for the launching platform.

This is why fighters try to maximize their speed & altitude before launching BVR missiles.
User avatar
Dysta
Posts: 1909
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:32 pm

RE: Static SAM Out of Weapon Dynamic Launch Zone

Post by Dysta »

Ohhh. I forgot the altitude isn't locked at the maximum height.
User avatar
kevinkins
Posts: 2465
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:54 am

RE: Static SAM Out of Weapon Dynamic Launch Zone

Post by kevinkins »

Since Command is not a flight sim, the role of altitude was initially forgotten when I first started. Probably because I was not looking out of a "cockpit" into a 3D environment. Maybe because there are new concepts to master as well. But altitude is fundamental to your attack runs and egress. Takes a bit of practice, but the light goes off eventually. Practice helps across the board, not just in this particular case.
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
User avatar
Dysta
Posts: 1909
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:32 pm

RE: Static SAM Out of Weapon Dynamic Launch Zone

Post by Dysta »

ORIGINAL: kevinkin

Since Command is not a flight sim, the role of altitude was initially forgotten when I first started. Probably because I was not looking out of a "cockpit" into a 3D environment. Maybe because there are new concepts to master as well. But altitude is fundamental to your attack runs and egress. Takes a bit of practice, but the light goes off eventually. Practice helps across the board, not just in this particular case.
I do check over the altitude, but I am confused if ARM have to be leveled to the target in able to lock on. So it can fire downward with no problem as I know it right now.
RoryAndersonCDT
Posts: 1828
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:45 pm

RE: Static SAM Out of Weapon Dynamic Launch Zone

Post by RoryAndersonCDT »

Missiles generally trace a ballistic path through the air, their rocket motors only lighting for the first dozen or so seconds of flight. Altitude is essential for hitting targets at long range.
Command Dev Team
Technical Lead
reezing
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:46 pm

RE: Static SAM Out of Weapon Dynamic Launch Zone

Post by reezing »

I always assumed that the missile max effective range is denoted by the circles on the map, since the circles shrink/expand when I change the altitude.
Dimitris
Posts: 16004
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:29 am
Contact:

RE: Static SAM Out of Weapon Dynamic Launch Zone

Post by Dimitris »

The ASuW-Land circle expands/contracts by altitude only when you are carrying unguided weapons. When carrying guided weapons, the circle remains fixed in range (denoting max nominal) but the actual DLZ is variable (and calculated only on-demand since it is an expensive computation).
reezing
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:46 pm

RE: Static SAM Out of Weapon Dynamic Launch Zone

Post by reezing »

Neat! Thanks!
Post Reply

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”