ASL\Squad Leader Scenarios Converted to Steel Panthers: World at War

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Post Reply
Joe Grills
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2001 8:00 am

ASL\Squad Leader Scenarios Converted to Steel Panthers: World at War

Post by Joe Grills »

Has anyone converted any Advanced Squad Leader or Squad Leader scenarios to SP scenarios. Please e-mail me at jjjgrills@att.net if you have
Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Posts: 3943
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 10:00 am

Post by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 »

Just a comment on the viability of this notion.

Much of ASL is defined by a set of predetermined mapsheets. Mapsheets that dont change and can be relied upon to look a specific way when designing a scenario.

Much of the ASL scenarios must suffer going through a punishing playtest. If you play a scenario often enough you notice glitches quite fast.

The only thing Steel Panthers could do is emulate the forces in a scenario. It would require a great deal of effort to make the maps of Steel Panthers virtual copies of the maps for ASL. Not impossible, but I know I wouldnt stick my hand up to volunteer.

That and the flow of the scenarios is also influenced by the games mechanics. A set number of turns based on the performance of the specific units (and you thought Steel Panthers was the only hard simulation out there).

I know though that there are plenty of intrepid souls that would want to try all the same. Suffice it to say I own I guess what would be a minimum of 90% of all the ASL scenarios ever put into official print.

Should anyone wish access to any of these scenarios they have but to ask and I can email you a scanned copy of the image of the scenario card. Although with the number of scenarios made, I think it would be a challenge just to decide. And alas I have no way of suggesting one over another.
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
User avatar
New York Jets
Posts: 628
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2001 8:00 am
Location: St. Louis, MO but stuck in Bremerton,WA

Post by New York Jets »

Actually, it appears that some of the scenarios are SPWaW conversions of ASL scenarios. I immediatedly recognized some that were scenarios I played years ago. Les, is absolutely right. The map conversion will not be the same. But remember, since you were/are dealing with pre-made geomorphic maps in ASL/SL, the sceanrio terrain characteristics are merely approximations of the actual battle in the first place. I have not yet tried to design a scenario with SPWaW, but I am thinking that being able to design a map from scratch, as it were, with the editor will allow me to come to a closer approximation of the terrain involved in that actual battles represented in ASL/SL. I also believe I saw somewhere in the scenario list a reference to being an ASL conversion.
"There comes a time in every man's life, and I've had plenty of 'em."

- Casey Stengel -
User avatar
RockinHarry
Posts: 2344
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Germany
Contact:

Post by RockinHarry »

Some of "figmo"s conversions:

Came with game:
Slot #147 - Sweep For Bordj Toum Bridge (SL #39) - Dec. 10, 1942
German Advance vs American Delay
Slot #012 - Breakout From Borisov (SL #20) - July 2, 1941
Meeting Engagement: Germans vs Russians

On Fabio's Site:
Sacrifice Of Polish Armor (SL #201) - Sept. 1, 1939
Meeting Engagement: Germany vs Poland
Road To Kozani Pass (SL #208) - April 13, 1941
German Advance vs UK Delay

Tankhead's Site:
Counterstroke At Stonne (SL #28) - May 15, 1940
Meeting Engagement: French vs Germany
A Winter Melee (SL #19) Feb. 17, 1942 -Russian Advance vs German Delay

On both Fabio's and Tankhead's sites:
The Paw Of the Tiger (SL #14) Jan. 12, 1943 German defend vs Soviet Advance

On the Militarygamer's scenario depot:
Hill 621 (SL #5) - July 1 1944 - German Mobile Defense

BTW: SL and ASL scenarios are also good starting points for SPWAW scenarios as inspiration counts also..

_________
Harry
RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann
dfsrusa
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2001 10:00 am
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Contact:

Post by dfsrusa »

I've converted SL#1-3 The Streets of Stalingrad. I just got out mapboard #1, recreated it as much as possible with the map editor, though many of the multihex buildings on the SL map are quite different than SL, and bought the units accordingly. Things aren't exact as leader counters are attached in SP and every squad has an lmg in SP. In that particular scenario, all the infantry is packed in so close that the initial few turns are a real quick bloodbath. I did it because a pbem partner and I both liked SL, but he disappeared before we finished the first game. I guess a sniper got him.

I might do something like it again, but it is a lot of work and I'm having so much fun with the MegaCampaign and a long campaign against another pbem opponent that I don't know when I'll ever get around to it.

Scot Stephenson
Carpe Diem
Joe Grills
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2001 8:00 am

Post by Joe Grills »

Thanks, guys :) I appreciate your responses....could someone give me the URLs at the sites that have been listed? Joe Grills
Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”