ORIGINAL: spence
I'm not sure but I think only "English-speakers" give a ship a feminine personality. I was in the Coast Guard and I can't think of any time I heard any boat crew refer to their boat (30 footers, 40 footers, 41 footers, 44 footers as if it was feminine but I'm pretty sure I did hear the crew of an 82 foot PB refer to their boat as a "she".
Incidentally referring to the first sentence of this post I know that a ship is a "he" in both the Russian and German navies. I once asked a Frenchman what the sex of his ship was and he stared at me like I was crazy. The noun bateau is masculine though so I think if a ship has any sex in French it's probably male. Be happy to hear any further thoughts on this topic from the international community to be found here.
In Spanish ship, barco, is a masculine noun, and all military-class ships (portaavion - aircraft carrier) are masculine. So all pronouns that refer to these nouns are masculine as well. El, lo, etc... . It is not uncommon, however, for Spanish speakers to give their ships female names: Santa Rosa, Santa Isabela, or Nuestra Señora de Calmuchita for example. A ship with a female name can be referred to by either the masculine or the feminine pronoun, depending upon context. For example, it would be appropriate to use the feminine pronoun in Spanish in the following sentence, ¨the Santa Rosa took a full broadside, and she shuddered at the impact.¨
My German and French are very rusty, but I believe that one sees the same usage in these languages as well.