Supply shortages for soviets union.PLEASE HELP!

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Post Reply
homeboy5
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue May 12, 2020 2:37 pm

Supply shortages for soviets union.PLEASE HELP!

Post by homeboy5 »

Probably there is some thread about that but i cant find.Anyway im playing for soviets and its apreal of 1942 and i do have supply shortages for army.I managed to save all heavy industy factories and lost maybe 5 armaments factories in 1941.My industry producing about 105k supplies(not counting lend lease)and if i check event log i always have only 50-60% free supplies to deliver to army.Is there any tip how to prioritaze army to get more supplies?Oh yea my army is 5950000 men.
User avatar
Telemecus
Posts: 4689
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:32 pm
Contact:

RE: Supply shortages for soviets union.PLEASE HELP!

Post by Telemecus »

Are you playing on 1.11.03 or the beta patch? Can you screenshot your log report or attach it to a post here?
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
User avatar
Shupov
Posts: 366
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:02 am
Location: United States

RE: Supply shortages for soviets union.PLEASE HELP!

Post by Shupov »

I am anticipating a similar problem in a current game in 1.11.03. I have 5.7 MM men in October 1941 and am growing over 100 K per turn. My Armaments pool is shrinking 40 k per turn and is down to 288 K. I expect shortages in Vehicles by early 1942.

Is the problem I have too many units consuming my production? I'm considering throttling back ground elements and aircraft production from 100% to 80% or lower. This is expensive in AP's and I would appreciate advice before making the change.
"The Motherland Calls"

Mamayev Kurgan, Stalingrad (Volgograd)
User avatar
Telemecus
Posts: 4689
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:32 pm
Contact:

RE: Supply shortages for soviets union.PLEASE HELP!

Post by Telemecus »

ORIGINAL: Shupov

I am anticipating a similar problem in a current game in 1.11.03. I have 5.7 MM men in October 1941 and am growing over 100 K per turn. My Armaments pool is shrinking 40 k per turn and is down to 288 K. I expect shortages in Vehicles by early 1942.

Is the problem I have too many units consuming my production? I'm considering throttling back ground elements and aircraft production from 100% to 80% or lower. This is expensive in AP's and I would appreciate advice before making the change.

How many arms factories will you save? Unless you are going to do catastrophically badly there I would not worry. A shortage of arms points is quite common over the winter of 1941 as you rebuild your Red Army 2.0. Indeed from the figures you gave it seems not even rebuild but just build. Arms points are important for building up your army. But once you say get to an 8M man army with 100k guns you would probably not want to grow anymore. Arms points are mainly used to grow your army, not maintain it once you get there. It seems to me you are going to get a steam roller Soviet army years earlier than historical and a big arms pool that you will never use up for your replacement needs then.

Vehicles is a problem in v1.11.03. You will never have enough. If you did then you could build more motorised corps until you did not have enough any more.

Are you managing the maximum ToE percentages of your units? You should be directing replacements to your best units anyway. But if you are having arms points shortages then choke your arms points hungry units (like all those artillery SUs) and concentrate on less arms points artillery units like rifle brigades.This will mean a lot more time clicking, but no AP expenditure at all for the same result. If you want to produce less aircraft, just re-evacuate their factories if you have the spare rail cap.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
User avatar
Shupov
Posts: 366
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:02 am
Location: United States

RE: Supply shortages for soviets union.PLEASE HELP!

Post by Shupov »

I saved all my factories and don't expect to lose any more. I do expect to have a very large army sooner than historical. I want high quality front-line armies rather than a mass of weaker units.

Yes I am managing TOE and could put new low experience units into rear area MD's with MaxTOE set low, then increase MaxTOE when enough armies and fronts are available to be filled out.

Are there any circumstances where reducing Ground Elements and/or Aircraft Production would be advantageous?

As for Vehicles my guess is 1.11.03 is WAD. In my opinion 1.12 has a serious bug where Vehicle usage is unlimited.

"The Motherland Calls"

Mamayev Kurgan, Stalingrad (Volgograd)
Bertram
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:56 pm
Location: Netherlands

RE: Supply shortages for soviets union.PLEASE HELP!

Post by Bertram »

In my game the bottleneck was my (rail)transport network. Resources got lost because my transports could not get supplies to the units, and the resources to the industrial centra (or at least that is the way I visualized it). Major users of supply (as in ammo and fuel) are units fighting and aircraft bombing. If I go all out for a turn, my supply can drop by as much as 4% point, e.g. from 32% supply to 28% supply over the whole front.
As Soviet player you have to be patient, build up your supply, pick your advances, and rebuild for the next push. Pretty historical actually :).
homeboy5
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue May 12, 2020 2:37 pm

RE: Supply shortages for soviets union.PLEASE HELP!

Post by homeboy5 »

oh so its just rail network and natural supply shortages as was in real live for soviets during 1942
Post Reply

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”