P-38j

Uncommon Valor: Campaign for the South Pacific covers the campaigns for New Guinea, New Britain, New Ireland and the Solomon chain.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Tankerace, siRkid

Post Reply
User avatar
Hartley
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:21 pm

P-38j

Post by Hartley »

Why is the air group size limited to 7 ?
User avatar
Mr.Frag
Posts: 11195
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Purgatory

Post by Mr.Frag »

What airgroup?

Might be a specific problem in the senario data file. Fighter groups are generally 24 - 36 aircraft except for the night fighters and recon planes.
User avatar
Hartley
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:21 pm

Post by Hartley »

I have 5 of these groups, and they all show a limit of 7:
Attachments
image1.jpg
image1.jpg (29.62 KiB) Viewed 493 times
mandt
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2003 1:47 am

Post by mandt »

Well, something looks whacky. The group you show here, has 92 "Ready Pilots." I've never seen anything like that before.

Actually, I think you have a total of 12 planes in this squadron. You only have six ready for combat. I wonder if you are being limited by the amount of support at that base.
DJAndrews
Posts: 305
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2003 1:26 am
Location: Toronto, ON, CA

Post by DJAndrews »

I'm not sure the number of "ready" pilots makes any difference. I recently started a game with 51 pilots and 14 planes in one squadron and 8 pilots and about 16 planes in several others. The spare planes were shown as being damaged, as in your attachment, but the squadrons filled out to normal plane/pilot levels in a couple of turns as new pilots were assigned with each turn. I still have about 40 out-of-work P-39D pilots in the over-staffed squadron though.

The P38j you attached is shown as a fighter. There is a version of the Lightning which is a recon plane. Recon and PBY squadrons typically have a max of 12 aircraft, which is what you have. I wonder if there is some sort of internal mixup between the program's accounting of the recon group and the fighter squadron. Certainly you shouldn't have a half dozen recon squadrons.
User avatar
pasternakski
Posts: 5567
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 7:42 pm

Post by pasternakski »

I know that this is an old refrain, and probably won't do any good, but it needs to be asked:

What version of the game are you playing? Did you start this game under one version and then upgrade to a newer patch?

Most of the air group problems like this I have seen result from either upgrading in the middle of a game or from a serious pilot allocation bug (big as a pseudo-arachnid) that reached its nastiest point in v. 2.10.
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
User avatar
Hartley
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:21 pm

Post by Hartley »

2.3 all the way through.


I'm now noticing B-24J squadrons with the same bug:
Attachments
image1.jpg
image1.jpg (30.64 KiB) Viewed 446 times
User avatar
crsutton
Posts: 9590
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:56 pm
Location: Maryland

Post by crsutton »

Your B24 squadron has twelve planes, which is normal. Some of them are undergoing repair. Usually, when a squadron newly arrives in theater, it will be short of planes or some of them will be out of commission. The b24s seem to repair slow but just leave the squadron alone for a while and the squadron will eventually come up to full strength.

I don't know what the problem is with the P38's unless they are new squadrons. If so, hold them out of combat for a while and the squadrons will build up. You must also check your pool of P38s that are available. You simply may not have any planes left in the pool and the squadrons can not fill up (Have you been losing some in combat?). If this is the case, pull them all out of action for a while until production eventually catches up and refills the pool and your squadrons.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
User avatar
von Murrin
Posts: 1611
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2001 10:00 am
Location: That from which there is no escape.

Post by von Murrin »

I think the problem is that the limit is shown to be capped at 7. The real test will be whether more than 7 ever become ready.

Hartley?
I give approximately two fifths of a !#$% at any given time!
User avatar
crsutton
Posts: 9590
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:56 pm
Location: Maryland

Post by crsutton »

I just re-examined the image of the P38 group that you posted. I note that it has 24 kills which means it has been heavily involved in combat. I am willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that you simply have run out of planes in your P38 replacement pool. Take a look and let me know.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
User avatar
dpazuk
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Post by dpazuk »

Ok, now that I've read this thread I have become parinoid about my own airgroups, as I have the same 'problem,' if this is indeed a problem.

I have noticed some of my P-38 squads filling out now, and I have all of them in combat areas. I'll pull some of them out and see if they fill up from their inital 7. I am thinking this is pool related and not a bug. Thats my gut feeling anyway.

Question: can I pull them out to any base to fill up? Or do they have to be in supply range of Nomeau/Brisbane. Or should I pull them back to Nomeau/Brisbane to fill out?

Thanks for any/all replys :)
Blah Blah Blah
User avatar
crsutton
Posts: 9590
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:56 pm
Location: Maryland

Post by crsutton »

I think that you will receive replacments at any base. You only need to be in flying range to upgrade to a new plane.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Post Reply

Return to “Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific”