No popup from first special event message in tutorials

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Post Reply
dwringer
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed May 18, 2022 11:50 pm

No popup from first special event message in tutorials

Post by dwringer »

EDIT: Sorry this is basically a duplicate and has a practical solution already. There is still a strange but very minor issue where an old message from a previous scenario was displayed in the message log of a newly-opened scenario, instead of the intended scenario welcome message. Original post below:

Hello,

I've been doing some playing around with the latest B1243.5 beta release, and I have come across a consistent issue - when loading tutorial missions (for example, I saw it happen on Submarine Tutorial 1.1 thru 1.4 but possibly many more), the very first "Special message" event that is intended to popup on mission load to explain what to do does not actually pop up.

Most of the time, that first message *does* appear in the message log correctly, so it's not game-breaking, but it's annoying because the text is much smaller and non-resizable there. Subsequent special message popups do still appear as normal, so missions that don't rely on a popup at game start work completely fine.

On one occasion, the initial message showing in the message log was actually the wrong message, also - it showed a special message from toward the end of one of the previous scenarios I'd been playing. I had to fully exit the game to get that tutorial to load correctly.
Last edited by dwringer on Fri May 20, 2022 4:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Easy301
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:01 am
Location: Currently Seattle Originally Chicago.

Re: No popup from first special event message in tutorials (B1243.5)

Post by Easy301 »

dwringer wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 1:33 pm Hello,

I've been doing some playing around with the latest B1243.5 beta release, and I have come across a consistent issue - when loading tutorial missions (for example, I saw it happen on Submarine Tutorial 1.1 thru 1.4 but possibly many more), the very first "Special message" event that is intended to popup on mission load to explain what to do does not actually pop up.

Most of the time, that first message *does* appear in the message log correctly, so it's not game-breaking, but it's annoying because the text is much smaller and non-resizable there. Subsequent special message popups do still appear as normal, so missions that don't rely on a popup at game start work completely fine.

On one occasion, the initial message showing in the message log was actually the wrong message, also - it showed a special message from toward the end of one of the previous scenarios I'd been playing. I had to fully exit the game to get that tutorial to load correctly.
This thread and the response explain why you're seeing the special message issue.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... l#p4990099

This seems to be an issue that's inherent to those scenarios and is not related to the beta. There are instructions in the following link on how to fix the issue also.

I've experienced the same thing, most of the tutorials are just fine in regard to their messages but the sub scenarios do not have their first message appear anywhere but the log, though all subsequent messages play correctly like you said.

As for the scenario that has a wrong message, did you play this scenario prior to the beta and had the message work correctly? Generally, behavior like this indicates an issue with the scenario and not any changes made or issues with the platform.

(I noticed you just joined the forums and are doing the tutorials, so if you're new to the community please read below, otherwise just ignore my ramblings.) :oops:

Welcome to the Community, by the way! If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask us or use the search feature on the forums, there's a wealth of information here going back years and years. Enjoy the tutorials and try not to get discouraged, it can seem daunting at first and like you're drinking information from a fire hose, but I promise it's not as daunting and difficult as it may first appear.

Some of the last tutorials in a specific category- the "Challenge" tutorials that have you put into practice what you learned can be absolutely brutal, like the surface group one that has you escorting a high value ship, so if you struggle on those or don't complete them don't stress about it too much. After learning the basics just sort the scenario list by difficulty and play what you find interesting with units and a time period you enjoy, this is key to me staying engaged and learning CMO without getting overly frustrated.

Anyway, I'm rambling at this point. Welcome to Command, it's good to have you aboard. The forums are a great place for questions and so is the Discord so don't be shy about stopping in and saying hello if you have any questions.
dwringer
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed May 18, 2022 11:50 pm

Re: No popup from first special event message in tutorials (B1243.5)

Post by dwringer »

Thanks for the extra info, I think I coincidentally must have changed into that Submarine category right at the same time I got the beta installed, so I must not have realized if the problem existed beforehand. I didn't see the problem happening with the Air or Surface Group tutorials I did but if it's unique to these scenarios then, eh, so be it. Sorry, I tried searching a little bit before asking but hadn't come across that post.

Easy301 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:14 pm As for the scenario that has a wrong message, did you play this scenario prior to the beta and had the message work correctly? Generally, behavior like this indicates an issue with the scenario and not any changes made or issues with the platform.
I played through the tutorials years ago in the original CMANO and didn't experience any issues, but I can see that a lot has changed since then both in the scenarios and in the engine. So I didn't really know what the expected behavior would be at this point, hehe.

EDIT: Oops, I misinterpreted what you were asking. The wrong message was fixed as soon as I exited the game and loaded the tutorial again. It seemed to be a one-time thing where a buffered message from the previous game got loaded instead of the welcome message for some reason.

Easy301 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:14 pm (I noticed you just joined the forums and are doing the tutorials, so if you're new to the community please read below, otherwise just ignore my ramblings.) :oops:

Welcome to the Community, by the way! If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask us or use the search feature on the forums, there's a wealth of information here going back years and years. Enjoy the tutorials and try not to get discouraged, it can seem daunting at first and like you're drinking information from a fire hose, but I promise it's not as daunting and difficult as it may first appear.

Some of the last tutorials in a specific category- the "Challenge" tutorials that have you put into practice what you learned can be absolutely brutal, like the surface group one that has you escorting a high value ship, so if you struggle on those or don't complete them don't stress about it too much. After learning the basics just sort the scenario list by difficulty and play what you find interesting with units and a time period you enjoy, this is key to me staying engaged and learning CMO without getting overly frustrated.

Anyway, I'm rambling at this point. Welcome to Command, it's good to have you aboard. The forums are a great place for questions and so is the Discord so don't be shy about stopping in and saying hello if you have any questions.
Thanks a lot for the kind greetings. I really enjoyed the last tutorial in the surface group category, but it was definitely punishing to learn at first, haha. I'm glad to be getting into the game again, I never got too deep with CMANO for a variety of reasons but they've all been fixed now I'd have to say.
Easy301
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:01 am
Location: Currently Seattle Originally Chicago.

Re: No popup from first special event message in tutorials

Post by Easy301 »

My one last piece of unsolicited advice while you're learning everything again, I just picked up CMO last month so I'm pretty new also: I don't know if you got a chance to use it or if you went right for the Beta but the stable version we are on is actually really good too and is very stable, I'd give some thought to sticking with the stable version while you learn the game, the beta will have some bugs with it for awhile as it's tested. It has the potential to make things more difficult when you're learning and don't know if you're possibly doing something wrong or experiencing a bug.

The game really does shine in its current stable version and while the beta offers a ton of really cool stuff it's tough to learn a game like this in an environment where you're fighting bugs at the same time.

Anyway, good luck and let us know if we can help further!
Kushan04
Posts: 1277
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:27 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: No popup from first special event message in tutorials

Post by Kushan04 »

I thought I fixed the submarine tutorials. I'll check when I return home at the end of next week.
Post Reply

Return to “Tech Support”