What can I do about these bad Luftw. Field Divisions?

A complete overhaul and re-development of Gary Grigsby's War in the East, with a focus on improvements to historical accuracy, realism, user interface and AI.

Moderator: Joel Billings

Post Reply
User avatar
Champagne
Posts: 482
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:12 pm
Location: Land of Magog

What can I do about these bad Luftw. Field Divisions?

Post by Champagne »

Disband them and send the men and equipment back to the pools? How do I disband them?

I tried to Merge two LW Field Infantry Divisions and the game said "Can't do it".

It is Feb 43 in my No Early End Grand Campaign vs the AI Soviet. I have no TB control.

I played one GC practice game previously. I have a vague recollection that these horrible weak divisions disappear on their own. Is that right?

I would like to get rid of them. They are terrible.

Thanks.
Only the dead have seen the end of War.

-- Plato
User avatar
M60A3TTS
Posts: 4866
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 1:20 am

Re: What can I do about these bad Luftw. Field Divisions?

Post by M60A3TTS »

You should be able to disband any unit (excepting certain HQs I believe), but it cannot be within 8 hexes of an enemy unit.

Or you can send units you deem unfit for front line service to help with building forts in the rear. Eventually you may need them.
User avatar
Champagne
Posts: 482
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:12 pm
Location: Land of Magog

Re: What can I do about these bad Luftw. Field Divisions?

Post by Champagne »

Thanks for the advice!
Only the dead have seen the end of War.

-- Plato
User avatar
Wiedrock
Posts: 2181
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:44 pm
Location: Germany

Re: What can I do about these bad Luftw. Field Divisions?

Post by Wiedrock »

In the game they will get "stronger" in terms of size starting 03/1943 (7k -> 10k) and further 10/43 (-> 12.5k). Maybe this helps.
Historically their size/TOE seems to be debated, I have sources showing them with ~7k planned manpower even after 1st August 1943, so not sure where that early 1943 increase ingame comes from, but as said, it seems somewhat debated.
cain012
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:33 pm

Re: What can I do about these bad Luftw. Field Divisions?

Post by cain012 »

7k seems a little low, I feel like that size is reflective of the infantry component of the early generations of the LWF divisions which had a collection of around four infantry battalions with no regimental headquarters. Platoon composition was identical to the Heer at this point, but there were no heavy companies in the battalion (rather a heavy platoon in each company). Four companies in each battalion, times four battalions, circa 1943 adds up to maybe around 3,000 frontline infantry, which when the artillery regiment, organic bicycle recon, flak and panzerjager and support units are factored in, would probably end up around 7,000.

But the later generation of divisions usually had around three two-battalion jager regiments, which would represent an addition 1400-1600 infantry per division, plus requisite increases in support, and some even had three three-battalion regiments for a total of nine battalions (such a division would probably top out at 12k).

Maybe this accounts for the increases? Haven't played a game that late but it would be weird if all LWF divisions transitioned to uniform TOEs on specific date - those divisions which had four un-echeloned battalions, like 1st through 3rd, retained those orgs until disbandment or destruction as far as I can tell.
Post Reply

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2”