Movies and SPWAW
Moderator: MOD_SPWaW
Movies and SPWAW
Movies are coming to SPWAW. So far "A Walk in the Sun" and a rework of "Saving Private Ryan" are up at the Gamer's Depot. I hope to add a few more movies for you. These are scenarios created or based upon some of those all time great movies that we watch over and over.
Of course, Grenadier Richards did a fine job re-creating "Cross of Iron."
What movie or scene would you like to see in SPWAW?
Also, Look for "Horsemen of the Rising Sun" coming soon....4 scenario series on Japanese Cavalry...being worked on as we speak.
[:D] [8D]
Of course, Grenadier Richards did a fine job re-creating "Cross of Iron."
What movie or scene would you like to see in SPWAW?
Also, Look for "Horsemen of the Rising Sun" coming soon....4 scenario series on Japanese Cavalry...being worked on as we speak.
[:D] [8D]

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
RE: Movies and SPWAW
What was the name of that movie about the seige of tobrok with Richard Burton (I think that's correct, but I'm getting old and memory is the first thing to go, I'd tell what the second is but I don't remember) [8|]
Anzio, The Devil Brigade
Anzio, The Devil Brigade
- FlashfyreSP
- Posts: 1192
- Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2002 9:39 am
- Location: Combat Information Center
- Contact:
RE: Movies and SPWAW
I have a small scenario built around the "Enemy at the Gates" storyline. Less emphasis on the sniper battle (altho that's in there, too[:D]) and more on the Russian shock attacks, and the close actions in all the rubble.
I'm busy updating some of my old scenarios (Race for the Bridge, Echoes of the Past, Breakfast in Antsirane, etc.), so I guess this one is next.[;)]
Hey, WB....I have "A Walk in the Sun" on DVD. Talk about one great platoon-oriented film!
I'm busy updating some of my old scenarios (Race for the Bridge, Echoes of the Past, Breakfast in Antsirane, etc.), so I guess this one is next.[;)]
Hey, WB....I have "A Walk in the Sun" on DVD. Talk about one great platoon-oriented film!
RE: Movies and SPWAW
Pbear, I remember the movie but not sure of the title. I do not have that one though I have seen it. Anzio and Devil's Brigade, yes I have those. My collection of war movies is about 450 total but there are still some I do not have.
In my mind, Flashfyre, A Walk in the Sun did more to portray the reality, uncertainty and courage of the American fighting man and his war than any other I can think of that was made during that time.
I believe it was completed sometime in 1944. The Salerno invasion took place in Sept, 1943. It was fresh then. It is now.
This is no "Duke" classic but men who have a mission. Some do well. Others do not. Its a commentary on the war far ahead of its time. Everyone who enjoy military history, wargaming and war movies MUST see this one. I've watched it at least a dozen times and could watch it right now and enjoy it. In fact, I think i will
I'll see what I can do with Anzio and Devil's Brigade, PBear. I think Redleg did one on Devil's Brigade so I'll refresh my memory by watching the movie and come up with something.
WB
In my mind, Flashfyre, A Walk in the Sun did more to portray the reality, uncertainty and courage of the American fighting man and his war than any other I can think of that was made during that time.
I believe it was completed sometime in 1944. The Salerno invasion took place in Sept, 1943. It was fresh then. It is now.
This is no "Duke" classic but men who have a mission. Some do well. Others do not. Its a commentary on the war far ahead of its time. Everyone who enjoy military history, wargaming and war movies MUST see this one. I've watched it at least a dozen times and could watch it right now and enjoy it. In fact, I think i will
I'll see what I can do with Anzio and Devil's Brigade, PBear. I think Redleg did one on Devil's Brigade so I'll refresh my memory by watching the movie and come up with something.
WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
RE: Movies and SPWAW
There are 2 of them from Redleg on Devil's Brigade, in the 8.0 install.ORIGINAL: Wild Bill
I think Redleg did one on Devil's Brigade so I'll refresh my memory by watching the movie and come up with something.
Federico "Resisti" Doveri
-
Major_Johnson
- Posts: 270
- Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: Beach Haven, NJ, USA
RE: Movies and SPWAW
How bout some whoop ass based on the battles in the movie Patton. The desert battle in North Africa, and the battle in Sicily where an amphibious landing had to be co-oridinated to assure victory??
M.J.!
We serve others best when at the same time we serve ourselves.
We serve others best when at the same time we serve ourselves.
RE: Movies and SPWAW
Kelly's Heros - first movie I ever heard in Stereo!
Small scale scenarios?
Oddb8ll and his three shermans emerging from the railway tunnel, to shoot up the railyard?
Final battle - Kat hunting in the village where the bank was?
(Woof - Woofwoofwoof - That's my other dog impression!)
Small scale scenarios?
Oddb8ll and his three shermans emerging from the railway tunnel, to shoot up the railyard?
Final battle - Kat hunting in the village where the bank was?
(Woof - Woofwoofwoof - That's my other dog impression!)

-
Major_Johnson
- Posts: 270
- Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: Beach Haven, NJ, USA
RE: Movies and SPWAW
ORIGINAL: hogg
Kelly's Heros - first movie I ever heard in Stereo!
Small scale scenarios?
Oddb8ll and his three shermans emerging from the railway tunnel, to shoot up the railyard?
Final battle - Kat hunting in the village where the bank was?
NICE!!!! That's a good one!!! [&o]
M.J.!
We serve others best when at the same time we serve ourselves.
We serve others best when at the same time we serve ourselves.
RE: Movies and SPWAW
Ok, here's one. "Halls of Montezuma", with Richard Widmark. On an unnamed Pacific island (Okinawa?) in 1945, a concealed Japanese rocket battery (I have to see if this is even in the OOB) is wreaking havoc on the advancing Marines. The battery's location must be found, and off-board artillery/naval guns zeroed in to knock it out. This is a small-scale scenario, and the rockets must be found quickly. Widmark's assault platoon has a couple of Shermans in support, and there are Japanese bunkers and/ or caves blocking the way. This could be a quick exposition on the "corkscrew and blowtorch" routine, with a time-limit on securing the victory hex that puts you in sight of the rocket battery. This is all that is necessary. The follow-up gunfire that destoys the rockets would just be icing on the cake.

- FlashfyreSP
- Posts: 1192
- Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2002 9:39 am
- Location: Combat Information Center
- Contact:
RE: Movies and SPWAW
[:D]For those who are interested, a revised edition of the "Enemy at the Gates" scenario has been uploaded to the Games Depot at the Wargamer site.[:D]
RE: Movies and SPWAW
ORIGINAL: Wild Bill
Pbear, I remember the movie but not sure of the title. I do not have that one though I have seen it. Anzio and Devil's Brigade, yes I have those. My collection of war movies is about 450 total but there are still some I do not have.
In my mind, Flashfyre, A Walk in the Sun did more to portray the reality, uncertainty and courage of the American fighting man and his war than any other I can think of that was made during that time.
I believe it was completed sometime in 1944. The Salerno invasion took place in Sept, 1943. It was fresh then. It is now.
This is no "Duke" classic but men who have a mission. Some do well. Others do not. Its a commentary on the war far ahead of its time. Everyone who enjoy military history, wargaming and war movies MUST see this one. I've watched it at least a dozen times and could watch it right now and enjoy it. In fact, I think i will
I'll see what I can do with Anzio and Devil's Brigade, PBear. I think Redleg did one on Devil's Brigade so I'll refresh my memory by watching the movie and come up with something.
WB
The Desert Rats James Mason plays Rommel
http://www.warshows.com/Search.bok?no.s ... rld+War+II
RE: Movies and SPWAW
Now that one I have seen. In fact, I saw it and Halls of Montezuma at the movie theaters when they were produced and sent out. That tells you something about my lifespan [:-]
I've done a Halls of Montezuma scenario on the fight at the caves and the following withdrawal in another wargame. I think I'll give that one a true in SPWAW.
Good suggestions, guys. Now I have to keep up with you.
WB
I've done a Halls of Montezuma scenario on the fight at the caves and the following withdrawal in another wargame. I think I'll give that one a true in SPWAW.
Good suggestions, guys. Now I have to keep up with you.
WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
RE: Movies and SPWAW
How bout the final defence of the garrisoned church in "The Eagle has landed" ?(Its a kind of obscure movie starring donald sutherland and michal cain about a small team of Nazi paratroopers that try to assasinate Churchhill)
RE: Movies and SPWAW
Good news, Flashfyre. Is this simply a sniper version or is it on a grander scale. I guess I should go and download it and give it a try. We can add another to the movie list.
And your TV series, Raiders of the Sahara works nicely for a coverage of the tube. One of us should do some "Combat" battles too. I did do one in Combat Mission Beyond Overlord, "Hills are for Heroes," and did "A Walk in the Sun" in CMAK.
We can definitely use some more of these...WB
And your TV series, Raiders of the Sahara works nicely for a coverage of the tube. One of us should do some "Combat" battles too. I did do one in Combat Mission Beyond Overlord, "Hills are for Heroes," and did "A Walk in the Sun" in CMAK.
We can definitely use some more of these...WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
RE: Movies and SPWAW
Great idea, Shadow, as well as Desert Fox, and Kelly's Heroes. All of those would make great scenarios. I had forgotten about that one. Its been awhile since I viewed it.
My list is growing. Want to send me some time to do them all [&:]
[;)]
WB
My list is growing. Want to send me some time to do them all [&:]
[;)]
WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
- FlashfyreSP
- Posts: 1192
- Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2002 9:39 am
- Location: Combat Information Center
- Contact:
RE: Movies and SPWAW
It's a bit more than just the sniper duel, WB. That proved to be too difficult to model, given the game mechanics (lots of turns waiting for the other sniper to show himself, not much firing unless you moved[>:]) so I added a small "assault" by the Soviets to "wake up" the German sniper and make him reveal himself. Vasiliy and his comrades are there waiting....
I hope you get it and ty it out....it's small enough to only take an hour or so to play, but the action is intense.[:D]
I hope you get it and ty it out....it's small enough to only take an hour or so to play, but the action is intense.[:D]
RE: Movies and SPWAW
I'm in the midst of the tourney and in the midst of some big changes in my life but it sounds appealing, Flashfyre. I will try it. I thought your Raiders of the Sahara Campaign was a gem. I'm sure that this will be more of the same.
WB
WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
RE: Movies and SPWAW
It wasnt a movie but a documentary on the history channell. Seemed to be a good one for a short campaign. It was called rescue at Los Banos. The rescue of a bunch of civilians and soldiers in a Jap prison camp. It involves a para drop plus filipion troops and also an amphibian exercise. Plus there is a blocking of the road by main troops. They had to get the internies out by the amphibs across a lake to allied territory. The battle was initiated with a large contingint of recon too. Just a thought is all.
Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.
RE: Movies and SPWAW
Hi robot.ORIGINAL: robot
It wasnt a movie but a documentary on the history channell. Seemed to be a good one for a short campaign. It was called rescue at Los Banos. The rescue of a bunch of civilians and soldiers in a Jap prison camp. It involves a para drop plus filipion troops and also an amphibian exercise. Plus there is a blocking of the road by main troops. They had to get the internies out by the amphibs across a lake to allied territory. The battle was initiated with a large contingint of recon too. Just a thought is all.
WB did one on this, already; it's called "Angel of Los Banos", and it's part of Spwaw 8.0.
Also, I did a similar one, on Cabanatuan POW rescue in early 1945 (the book "Ghost soldiers", you know), and this one, too, was included in Spwaw 8.0, but was an old, incomplete version of it [:(] The good one (plus a "what if" version) will be included in next patch.
If you want to give a try to this, to, wait the patch, or send me a PM.
Federico "Resisti" Doveri
RE: Movies and SPWAW
Hey Robot! How are you!
Yes, I did Angels of los Banos awhile back and it has been revised. Its a hot little fight. You have all the elements in there, the amphibious landing by the LVTs, the recon units attacking the camp and the paradrop. It is definitely a land-sea-air operation. I think you'll find it challenging. It is scenario 069 in the version 8.0 of SPWAW.
Give it a try and let me know how it goes. Warm greetings to your wife. Wow, its been almost a year since we met at Aberdeen!
WB
Yes, I did Angels of los Banos awhile back and it has been revised. Its a hot little fight. You have all the elements in there, the amphibious landing by the LVTs, the recon units attacking the camp and the paradrop. It is definitely a land-sea-air operation. I think you'll find it challenging. It is scenario 069 in the version 8.0 of SPWAW.
Give it a try and let me know how it goes. Warm greetings to your wife. Wow, its been almost a year since we met at Aberdeen!
WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant






