Unable to run 8.o

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
BOBULUS
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:21 pm
Contact:

Unable to run 8.o

Post by BOBULUS »

I've recently installed the 8.0 version and when i start the game menu it goes black, when I start mech.exe it goes desktop. the sistem running is a 98 win and the computer is on a network. please help.
In vino veritas!
john g
Posts: 911
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2000 8:00 am
Location: college station, tx usa

RE: Unable to run 8.o

Post by john g »

I have v7.1 running on win95 and win98se machines, both dx8.0a, and v8.1 on a win98se machine running dx9.0b. The only issues I have so far are:

Intro movie on the win95 machine will leave artifacts on the screen as the names scroll down, I blame this on the junk hardware and drivers that Compaq designed into the comp, but since I got it for free when my father upgraded to a new machine I just ignore it.

Intro movie in v8.1 doesn't work from startmenu, I can play it with mediaplayer and can start the game with the shortcut set to mech.exe. While playing v8.1, any button that greys out like the indirect or rally button will have a vertical line thru it. I don't know if these problems are due to DX9, my video card (gforce4mx420) or nvidias video drivers (shouldn't affect a 2d game but who knows).

My comps are also on a network (4 machines hooked to cablemodem thru a linksys router). I have no problems playing v7.1 games between the two machines that have it installed. When v8.1 gets the glitches ironed out, (and I have seen that it will run under dx8.0a) I may move all three installations to v8.x.

That is also assuming that I ever need more than 2 comps for a lan game.

If the game crashes on entry to mech.exe then it is probobly a sound card issue, try setting sound accel in dxdiag to none and then work up from there. Your sound card drivers may have a problem with some of the sounds.
Post Reply

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”