SPWAW RUNNER UP in PC GAMER AWARDS!
Moderator: MOD_SPWaW
-
Joe Osborne
- Posts: 98
- Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2000 10:00 am
- Location: Somewhere on a beach
- Contact:
SPWAW RUNNER UP in PC GAMER AWARDS!
Folks,
Just got my copy of PC Gamer and low and behold SPWAW was honored as a runner up for "Best Turn Based Strategy Game of The Year"! Pretty darn cool!
Regards,
Joe Osborne
[This message has been edited by Joe Osborne (edited February 10, 2001).]
Just got my copy of PC Gamer and low and behold SPWAW was honored as a runner up for "Best Turn Based Strategy Game of The Year"! Pretty darn cool!
Regards,
Joe Osborne
[This message has been edited by Joe Osborne (edited February 10, 2001).]
Yes, really nice recognition. Did you notice that the screen shot is form another game? Not sure which one, but it most certainly is not SPWAW.
Bing
Bing
"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website
Geez what game won??? It has to be a killer!!Originally posted by Joe Osborne:
Folks,
Just got my copy of PC Gamer and low and behold SPWAW was honored as a runner up for "Best Turn Based Strategy Game of The Year"! Pretty darn cool!
Regards,
Joe Osborne
[This message has been edited by Joe Osborne (edited February 10, 2001).]
[This message has been edited by Alby (edited February 10, 2001).]
-
Joe Osborne
- Posts: 98
- Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2000 10:00 am
- Location: Somewhere on a beach
- Contact:
-
Joe Osborne
- Posts: 98
- Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2000 10:00 am
- Location: Somewhere on a beach
- Contact:
Hi....We want a recount the ballots were too hard to decipher....I did not get to vote....Combat Mission was handing out cigarettes and beer to homeless grognards...
------------------
I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a differant direction!
------------------
I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a differant direction!
I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
Combat Who? Who cares. I've got my SPWaW and it keeps getting better. I'll bet Combat Mission is as static as last years Kentucky Derby.Originally posted by Joe Osborne:
Winning game was Combat Mission
Joe O.

------------------
PR
http://electricwar.tripod.com/
PR
Coming a close second against a full time company collecting mega bucks for their products is a far greater achievement as far as I am concerned. (Lets them see how well they would do under your circumstances).
Congratulations Guys!!!

Reg.
Congratulations Guys!!!

Reg.
Cheers,
Reg.
(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!
Reg.
(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!
Combat Mission is produced by Big Time Software...2 guys who love wargaming. They deserve the 1st place finish for their excellent, ground breaking game. I couldn't be more pleased with SPWAW and getting the runner up slot is just great. Companies like Matrix and BTS need our support. These small publishers design for you and I. That they have placed so well is little short of a miracle. So my harty congradulations to both for their outstanding games.
All Hail Marx and Lennon
- Wallymanowar
- Posts: 171
- Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: Vernon, B.C., Canada
Hey!
They didn't count the absentee or foreign ballots!
Why does only Florida get to vote?
Let's settle this the good old fashioned American way - In the Courts!!
Well done Matrix.

"Not so Bitter" Mike
They didn't count the absentee or foreign ballots!
Why does only Florida get to vote?
Let's settle this the good old fashioned American way - In the Courts!!
Well done Matrix.

"Not so Bitter" Mike
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
Yogi Berra
Yogi Berra
-
troopie
- Posts: 644
- Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: Directly above the centre of the Earth.
Considering this was Best 'Turn Based Strategy' and not Best 'Wargame' There was NO 'Best Wargame' category this year. SPWAW ought to have been thankful to have been mentioned at all. It looks like the future of wargaming is with 2 guys who love wargaming like Big Time, or the blokes at Matrix who made the Steel Panthers version they always wanted and called it SPWAW.
troopie
------------------
Pamwe Chete
troopie
------------------
Pamwe Chete
Pamwe Chete
Maybe next year we will be first. 
This year Matrix didn't have enough money to pay PC Gamers for SPWAW to come first.
Way to go Matrix it gets better all the time.
Tankhead
------------------
Rick Cloutier rcclout@telusplanet.net
Coordinator: Tankhead's SPWAW Resources
http://members.tripod.com/tankhead__1

This year Matrix didn't have enough money to pay PC Gamers for SPWAW to come first.

Way to go Matrix it gets better all the time.
Tankhead
------------------
Rick Cloutier rcclout@telusplanet.net
Coordinator: Tankhead's SPWAW Resources
http://members.tripod.com/tankhead__1
I think this is a tough call on my part. I play both SPWAW and Combat Mission, and they're both GREAT games.
SPWAW is still the one I spend the most time with, and that goes for the whole SP series. What can I say, the series has one heck of a track record with me.
CM is the new kid on the block, but it has a lot going for it. (Heck, even Wild Bill and the Raiders have a section on their site about it.) It's a whole new ball game, and you really have think your tactics out in advance.
I have to say I like both games equally well. Just for different reasons with each. Sorry if this shocks or offends, but I call them as I see them, and to a Marine, integrity is everything.
------------------
USMCGrunt
-When it absolutely, positively, has to be destroyed overnight.
SPWAW is still the one I spend the most time with, and that goes for the whole SP series. What can I say, the series has one heck of a track record with me.
CM is the new kid on the block, but it has a lot going for it. (Heck, even Wild Bill and the Raiders have a section on their site about it.) It's a whole new ball game, and you really have think your tactics out in advance.
I have to say I like both games equally well. Just for different reasons with each. Sorry if this shocks or offends, but I call them as I see them, and to a Marine, integrity is everything.
------------------
USMCGrunt
-When it absolutely, positively, has to be destroyed overnight.
USMCGrunt
Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?" But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll!
-Rudyard Kipling-
Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?" But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll!
-Rudyard Kipling-
-
Joe Osborne
- Posts: 98
- Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2000 10:00 am
- Location: Somewhere on a beach
- Contact:
Folks,
The reason for my posting wasn't to cry "foul" ...I'm really excited we finished as a runner up!
It's no surprise to me that CM won ..it's a truly great game. The other runner up was 1776 from HPS.
I'm REALLY proud we beat everyone else!
Considering we received this kind of attention with a reprogramming of an old game...I can hardly wait to see what will happen when we fully produce our own game!
Onward and upward!
Joe Osborne
The reason for my posting wasn't to cry "foul" ...I'm really excited we finished as a runner up!
It's no surprise to me that CM won ..it's a truly great game. The other runner up was 1776 from HPS.
I'm REALLY proud we beat everyone else!

Considering we received this kind of attention with a reprogramming of an old game...I can hardly wait to see what will happen when we fully produce our own game!
Onward and upward!
Joe Osborne
-
Windo von Paene
- Posts: 174
- Joined: Tue May 16, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: Seattle, WA
Wow, I'm impressed. Congrats to Matrix for that one!
I think it is great that two "minor" players in the PC gaming world could rack up this kind of success. I'm still waiting for BTS to get CM back in stock, but I've been playing the demo to death, and think it's a pretty cool system. A very different beast than SPWAW, but I expect that I'll be playing both for a long time.
Let's all be thankful that Close Combat, Squad Leader and C&C Red Alert didn't get this award...
I think it is great that two "minor" players in the PC gaming world could rack up this kind of success. I'm still waiting for BTS to get CM back in stock, but I've been playing the demo to death, and think it's a pretty cool system. A very different beast than SPWAW, but I expect that I'll be playing both for a long time.
Let's all be thankful that Close Combat, Squad Leader and C&C Red Alert didn't get this award...
Yep, both are great...
But now with each SPWaW improvement i
play CM a little less (very little)... almost each shot that goes through is a kill at CM. And no way to recrew abandoned guns/tanks at CM. That's my major concern about it, not a big one you see
Matrix team has improved SP with so many details that i sometimes can't bare they are not in all other games
But now with each SPWaW improvement i
play CM a little less (very little)... almost each shot that goes through is a kill at CM. And no way to recrew abandoned guns/tanks at CM. That's my major concern about it, not a big one you see

Matrix team has improved SP with so many details that i sometimes can't bare they are not in all other games






