To Command (my way)

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
Jack
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu May 25, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Canada

To Command (my way)

Post by Jack »

I am currently using v4.5, I am about to start a Campaign game with the Campaign generator. I purchase an U.S Paratrooper coy. I wanted to buy some APC's for them, but the APC commanders are 1Lt and the infantry Platoon commanders are 2Lt. So when I change the formation command the Platoon Commander is now the APC 1Lt. I was able to alleviate some of the problem by putting one of the APC commanders with with the Coy Commander who is a Captain. (I thought a coy commander was a Major. Is it Captain for another reason other than simplicity?)
I know I could have purchased a mechanized rifle coy but I didn't want to do that. I am interested in using some U.S Marine equipment for the Paras.
One other thing. When a leader gets killed in a campaign I noticed his name is gone and someone else took over for the next battle but his kills are still recorded. Is that a problem only I am having or is anyone else?
Am I really looking foreward to V5.
Any help would be great.
Flashfyre
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Waynesboro, PA, USA
Contact:

Post by Flashfyre »

To change the ranks of leaders, save the game after you purchase forces and deploy. Exit game, and use Chladra's editor. Each unit in you OOB will be listed, and you can select the ranks for those leaders you want to change. Make the APCs 2Lts, the Platoon COs 1Lts, and so on. However, Company Commanders are usually Captains. Majors are Regimental and Battalion XOs, and staff officers for Divisions and above.

As to leader name changes, this does happen, but as long as the unit survives, the kills are kept. Think of it as the squad losing it's Lt, but the sarges are still around, and probably got the kills themselves.

------------------
The Motor Pool
http://www.geocities.com/aurion_eq/index.html?976419304550
kmcferren@cvn.net
Jack
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu May 25, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Canada

Post by Jack »

I will try it, I hope it is as easy as you make it sound. Thank you for your help.
PerryC
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2000 10:00 am
Location: Oromocto,NB,Canada

Post by PerryC »

Jack, for those of us in the great white north coy commanders are majors, with captains as the coy 2ic. A 'light' colonel heads up a battalion with a major as the DCO.


PerryC
pro patria.
Jack
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu May 25, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Canada

Post by Jack »

That's right PerryC. That's the way I always understood it as far as the rank went.
Changing the subject I can't do anything with my editor. First it says I have version 1.1 file and the next promps says I couldn't open save file. And a whole bunch of other promps came up too. My computer skills are limited. I do know how to read and in my editor it said it was a Beta version, that's fine I am just thankful to have it.
USMCGrunt
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Yarmouth, ME, US

Post by USMCGrunt »

Currently, the US Marines use the following ranks for command.

Platoon - 1st or 2nd Lieutenant
Company - Captain with 1st Lietenant or Senior Warrant officer as XO (Exectutive Officer)
Battalion - Lieutenant Colonel with a Major as XO
Regiment - Colonel with a Lietenant Colonel as XO

Hope that helps. I beleive that Marine units have been similarly led at least back to World War 1. Hope that helps a bit.

------------------
USMCGrunt

-When it absolutely, positively, has to be destroyed overnight.
USMCGrunt


Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?" But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll!

-Rudyard Kipling-
PerryC
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2000 10:00 am
Location: Oromocto,NB,Canada

Post by PerryC »

I'm pretty computer illiterate as well and i don't know anything about the editor so I can't help you there. Sorry about that, however there is probably someone here who can help you.

PerryC
pro patria
Post Reply

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”