Surface sortie

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Post Reply
User avatar
Toro
Posts: 577
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2002 6:33 pm
Location: 16 miles southeast of Hell (Michigan, i.e.), US

Surface sortie

Post by Toro »

Okay, maybe I missed this, too.

I seem to recall reading in the manual somewhere that I could create a Surf TF, leave it in port, and set a reaction distance, then if an enemy surface TF approached within that distance, my TF would sortie and engage. Am I figmenting my imagination??? Or, is there some other finer point I'm forgetting to set?
User avatar
von Murrin
Posts: 1611
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2001 10:00 am
Location: That from which there is no escape.

RE: Surface sortie

Post by von Murrin »

React from DH. I would guess that includes the port hex if you don't give it a DH, but yeah.

Don't look for it to go beyond one impulse of movement at mission speed, though.
I give approximately two fifths of a !#$% at any given time!
User avatar
Mr.Frag
Posts: 11195
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Purgatory

RE: Surface sortie

Post by Mr.Frag »

I seem to recall reading in the manual somewhere that I could create a Surf TF, leave it in port, and set a reaction distance, then if an enemy surface TF approached within that distance, my TF would sortie and engage. Am I figmenting my imagination??? Or, is there some other finer point I'm forgetting to set?

Just want to clearly define this:

A surface TF will react should an enemy TF enter into a base hex (anywhere with troops or at least a fair amount of supplies). It will *not* jump out into open ocean to intercept there.
User avatar
Toro
Posts: 577
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2002 6:33 pm
Location: 16 miles southeast of Hell (Michigan, i.e.), US

RE: Surface sortie

Post by Toro »

Ah, okay. Got it. Damn! Was hoping to catch that TF steaming by... now I gotta go chase them!
User avatar
rogueusmc
Posts: 4583
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:21 pm
Location: Texas...what country are YOU from?
Contact:

RE: Surface sortie

Post by rogueusmc »

I remember seeing someone say the PTs will sortie on their own...do they have to be organized in a TF or just at anchor? They said PTs as if they acted differently than other combat/patrol ships?
There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Image
User avatar
rogueusmc
Posts: 4583
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:21 pm
Location: Texas...what country are YOU from?
Contact:

RE: Surface sortie

Post by rogueusmc »

ORIGINAL: von Murrin

React from DH. I would guess that includes the port hex if you don't give it a DH, but yeah.

Don't look for it to go beyond one impulse of movement at mission speed, though.
I believe that if you give the destination hex as the port hex, with 'patrol/donnot retire' selected, an undocked TF reacts just like a TF in any other hex.
There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Image
magresh
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Los Angeles, California

RE: Surface sortie

Post by magresh »

I had six PT boats, based at Bataan in February 1942, sortie twice against different passing transport task forces one hex away. They had no torpedoes by that time and attacked with their 50 cal. and 20mm guns. They were able to damage three transports, one of them heavily. One PT boat was also damaged during one of these sorties.
User avatar
Toro
Posts: 577
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2002 6:33 pm
Location: 16 miles southeast of Hell (Michigan, i.e.), US

RE: Surface sortie

Post by Toro »

Good to know. I'll use that here in about a week (er, game time... [:D] ).
User avatar
rogueusmc
Posts: 4583
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:21 pm
Location: Texas...what country are YOU from?
Contact:

RE: Surface sortie

Post by rogueusmc »

ORIGINAL: magresh

I had six PT boats, based at Bataan in February 1942, sortie twice against different passing transport task forces one hex away. They had no torpedoes by that time and attacked with their 50 cal. and 20mm guns. They were able to damage three transports, one of them heavily. One PT boat was also damaged during one of these sorties.
Were they at anchor or in a TF?
There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Image
User avatar
Maliki
Posts: 403
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2002 11:33 pm

RE: Surface sortie

Post by Maliki »

ORIGINAL: rogueusmc
ORIGINAL: magresh

I had six PT boats, based at Bataan in February 1942, sortie twice against different passing transport task forces one hex away. They had no torpedoes by that time and attacked with their 50 cal. and 20mm guns. They were able to damage three transports, one of them heavily. One PT boat was also damaged during one of these sorties.
Were they at anchor or in a TF?

Thats a good question.I've built several PT surface combat TF's and am wondering the same thing.
"..if you want to make a baby cry, first you give it a lollipop. Then you take it away."
magresh
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Los Angeles, California

RE: Surface sortie

Post by magresh »

They were in Surface combat TF. Docke at Bataan.
ORIGINAL: Maliki
ORIGINAL: rogueusmc
ORIGINAL: magresh

I had six PT boats, based at Bataan in February 1942, sortie twice against different passing transport task forces one hex away. They had no torpedoes by that time and attacked with their 50 cal. and 20mm guns. They were able to damage three transports, one of them heavily. One PT boat was also damaged during one of these sorties.
Were they at anchor or in a TF?

Thats a good question.I've built several PT surface combat TF's and am wondering the same thing.
User avatar
rogueusmc
Posts: 4583
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:21 pm
Location: Texas...what country are YOU from?
Contact:

RE: Surface sortie

Post by rogueusmc »

Thanks dude.
There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Image
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”