Air sections

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
Pack Rat
Posts: 591
Joined: Mon May 08, 2000 8:00 am
Location: north central Pennsylvania USA

Air sections

Post by Pack Rat »

I've been setting the air sections to 3 for a few games and nothing is showing up for air strikes. This should and has in other versions over ridden the default. Am I doing something wrong?
PR
Larry Holt
Posts: 1644
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2000 10:00 am
Location: Atlanta, GA 30068

Post by Larry Holt »

Do you mean setting to 3 in the preferences menu and nothing is showing up for your side or the AIP's.

Setting this in the preferences sets the max # that can be bought. You or the AIP would still have to buy them.
Never take counsel of your fears.
Pack Rat
Posts: 591
Joined: Mon May 08, 2000 8:00 am
Location: north central Pennsylvania USA

Post by Pack Rat »

Originally posted by Larry Holt:
Do you mean setting to 3 in the preferences menu and nothing is showing up for your side or the AIP's.

Setting this in the preferences sets the max # that can be bought. You or the AIP would still have to buy them.
Yes in the preferences I set both sides to three and on more than one occasion no air strikes have shown up to be bought for the side I am playing.

I deleted my pdf file just in case it was throwing a wrench in it.

[ May 13, 2001: Message edited by: Pack Rat ]
PR
Larry Holt
Posts: 1644
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2000 10:00 am
Location: Atlanta, GA 30068

Post by Larry Holt »

Originally posted by Pack Rat:
Yes in the preferences I set both side to three and on more than one occasion no air strikes have shown up to be bought.

I deleted my pdf file just in case it was throwing a wrench in it.
Ah, this is different. You say that none are showing up to be bought in the menu, not that none are showing up on the battlefield.

Hmmm, In previous versions you did not always get to buy aircraft. For starts, only one side can have them in generated scenarios. I think in man made scenarios both sides can have them though. Also there is some routine that decides if they will be available to you to buy that is dependent upon your nationality and time. Germans early on have them more frequently than late in the war. USA always gets hordes of them.
Never take counsel of your fears.
Pack Rat
Posts: 591
Joined: Mon May 08, 2000 8:00 am
Location: north central Pennsylvania USA

Post by Pack Rat »

Oh ok. I was under the impression that it automaticaly over rode what historicaly might be there and give them to you. The type of game I've been playing is 6/44 German vs Soviet, not a lot of German air power there :)
PR
User avatar
Paul Vebber
Posts: 5342
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Portsmouth RI
Contact:

Post by Paul Vebber »

THis is a bug - if you don;t exit ou to f the gam eafter you buy aircraft, you will be unable to buy them from then on until you do. THe "air sections available" is not resetting when you return to the game selection menu, or "un buy" them like they should.

IF you exit the game to the desktop, then start the game set up the game and then buy your aircraft it works. But if you make a mistake, or wan tto play another game, you after exit back tot he desktop and start again
Pack Rat
Posts: 591
Joined: Mon May 08, 2000 8:00 am
Location: north central Pennsylvania USA

Post by Pack Rat »

Originally posted by Larry Holt:
USA always gets hordes of them.
Went back in and generated a bunch of US vs German 5/45 battles and checked the US air strikes. Did not get that many, easily less then 50%. I did notice that gliders and cargo planes were there sometimes and sometimes not and sometimes they were there with air strikes but not always. But even adding these to the totals I would have thought US air would be there much more often. Doesn't feel just right to me. I had the preferance set at default.
PR
Pack Rat
Posts: 591
Joined: Mon May 08, 2000 8:00 am
Location: north central Pennsylvania USA

Post by Pack Rat »

Originally posted by Paul Vebber:
THis is a bug - if you don;t exit ou to f the gam eafter you buy aircraft, you will be unable to buy them from then on until you do. THe "air sections available" is not resetting when you return to the game selection menu, or "un buy" them like they should.

IF you exit the game to the desktop, then start the game set up the game and then buy your aircraft it works. But if you make a mistake, or wan tto play another game, you after exit back tot he desktop and start again
You were writing as I was writing :), thanks for your response Paul.
PR
User avatar
Kerg
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Joliet IL

Post by Kerg »

I am sorry I have the same problem but did not quite understand what paul is saying to do.

I set the air to some number in the pref.
Then I exit the game and restart it?
Field Marshal Kerg, Combat Command Stats-> Games Played = 141, Points/game = 4179, <br />Average Placing = 3.4, W% = 28%, L% = 29%, D% = 44%, Total Points 589,232, Leagues Entered = 10, Top Three Finish % = 80
Pack Rat
Posts: 591
Joined: Mon May 08, 2000 8:00 am
Location: north central Pennsylvania USA

Post by Pack Rat »

In a nut shell what he is saying is exit out of the game altogether before you start another, then set up your air or your air won't set up right.

[ May 14, 2001: Message edited by: Pack Rat ]
PR
Mumdaan
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon May 07, 2001 8:00 am

Post by Mumdaan »

speaking of air units.. i'm in 8/43 of the long wwii campaign (playing US Marines) and haven't had an air strike available yet :(
v5.01 btw

should i have? (starting to feel uncomfortable here :)

mum
Pack Rat
Posts: 591
Joined: Mon May 08, 2000 8:00 am
Location: north central Pennsylvania USA

Post by Pack Rat »

I don't know, my guess is you wouldn't have a lot of air in 43 but you bring up an interesting point on how to handle campaigns. Do you need to exit out between battles if you have bought aircraft?
PR
Post Reply

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”