Save Game Files

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
scout1
Posts: 3124
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:26 pm
Location: South Bend, In

Save Game Files

Post by scout1 »

I have a question/suggestion regarding save game files. it's my understanding (right or wrong) that the save game files are encrypted which prevents access to in-game states. This is presumably why the utilities being developed by the user community for scenario start info can't be used for in game queries.
WitP is a wonderful game that didn't go the extra yard as to interface/information management. These add-on's do this, but are limited to starts.

Is there any reason to encrypt these game files ? Sure would be nice to turn these
utilities loose for in progress games ?
User avatar
Mr.Frag
Posts: 11195
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Purgatory

RE: Save Game Files

Post by Mr.Frag »

Encryption of the save games removes the ability to modify the results of PBEM games.

Think of what could happen if they were not locked ...

Run into a bad CV battle that didn't go your way? No problem, open up the save and relocate your CV's 1 hex so they don't get attacked.

Shock Attack failed? No problem, cancel the attack order until another round of troops unload.

Couple that with the obvious fact that you could simply go in and look at the other guy's stuff and his orders then tailor yours to match.

It is the simplest way of removing dispute between players when things go poorly for one of them.
User avatar
testarossa
Posts: 958
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:06 pm

RE: Save Game Files

Post by testarossa »

Can't you just use different save file extension or something, for PBEM games versus single? Although I'm pretty sure there is an explanation for your way [:D].
User avatar
Belce
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Canada

RE: Save Game Files

Post by Belce »

What would be really cool is to have a turn report file that when loaded does the turn the replay and the game generate a Japanese and Allied player turn file that is encrpyted. Send the replay file to your opponnent and their encrypted next turn start file. That way we could pull data from the turn replay and not interfer with our oppenents turn, players could alternate who executes the turn as well. Programming hassle would be having to have a different process for PBEM game saves.

As it currently stands, is there any method to prevent the turn executor from running the turn several times to get a better result?
Truth is truth
User avatar
fbastos
Posts: 827
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:05 pm

RE: Save Game Files

Post by fbastos »

Encryption of the save games removes the ability to modify the results of PBEM games.

Think of what could happen if they were not locked ...

A "dump/export my forces" is probably what the users need. Just export one's own units in CSF format, and then peeps could write how many tools they wanted to analyze this, that and everthing else they wanted too..

F.
I'm running out of jokes...

Image
User avatar
2ndACR
Posts: 5524
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 7:32 am
Location: Irving,Tx

RE: Save Game Files

Post by 2ndACR »

ORIGINAL: Belce


As it currently stands, is there any method to prevent the turn executor from running the turn several times to get a better result?

The results will be the same no matter how many times the turn is run.
User avatar
scout1
Posts: 3124
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:26 pm
Location: South Bend, In

RE: Save Game Files

Post by scout1 »

This isn't the only computer game to have pbem. Either all that don't encrypt game files have honesty issues with gamers (at least some) or there are alternate methods for protecting the data without completely shutting out in process game states.
User avatar
steveh11Matrix
Posts: 943
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:54 am
Contact:

RE: Save Game Files

Post by steveh11Matrix »

It's been brought up before, with the same (tired old) argument: "It's to prevent cheating in PBEM." So sorry guys, it's really sad that all of your PBEM opponents cheat all the time, and you can't find honest players to play against. [&:]

If that came over a little strong, I'm sorry, but it really ought to be simple enough to turn encryption OFF for players if they want it. It would be a major boon for those, like myself, who would like to base a scenario off a save-game position.

Steve.
"Nature always obeys Her own laws" - Leonardo da Vinci
User avatar
Mr.Frag
Posts: 11195
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Purgatory

RE: Save Game Files

Post by Mr.Frag »

Care to post all your PBEM passwords? That is want you are talking about here. [X(]
User avatar
Captain Cruft
Posts: 3752
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:49 pm
Location: England

RE: Save Game Files

Post by Captain Cruft »

Are non-PBEM game files encrypted (I'm not sure). I know they are definitely compressed. If so perhaps Matrix/2by3 would be so good as to let us know what compression algorithm is used etc. ?
User avatar
steveh11Matrix
Posts: 943
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:54 am
Contact:

RE: Save Game Files

Post by steveh11Matrix »

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

Care to post all your PBEM passwords? That is want you are talking about here. [X(]
I'm really sorry, Frag, but that's simply ridiculous.
  • Not everyone plays PBEM
  • It ought to be possible to set it up as an option
  • The sheer amount of time invested in a game like this, then lost when you have to restart when a major patch with new OOB information is released - for a fairly small example the amended Firefly's in 1.3 (per Pry's post) - simply demands that you be able to take a save game and amend the OOB info.
Besides, are all of you PBEM-ers such an untrustworthy bunch? Do you intentioanally cheat whenever possible? If so, what's the point?[:@]

Sorry if I come over a tad shrill here, but I do not recognise, and never have recognised, the need for the encryption. If some of you want it as an option, then fine, but it's simply an obstructive non-necessity to me. [:-]

Steve.
"Nature always obeys Her own laws" - Leonardo da Vinci
User avatar
Mr.Frag
Posts: 11195
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Purgatory

RE: Save Game Files

Post by Mr.Frag »

So I want to be clear as to what exactly the request is:

a) You want net new code added that *selectively" writes the the save file unencrypted.

b) You want new artwork done for the selection choice which has to fit on a screen somewhere.

c) You want this new save file format published with the internals of the game which is stored in a completely different format the the scenario files.

d) You want some third party to write from scratch a new editor that lets you change this data that is now exposed.
User avatar
Captain Cruft
Posts: 3752
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:49 pm
Location: England

RE: Save Game Files

Post by Captain Cruft »

That sounds like more or less what's required :)

I think the point is that this facility apparently existed for PacWar, third-party though it might have been.
User avatar
steveh11Matrix
Posts: 943
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:54 am
Contact:

RE: Save Game Files

Post by steveh11Matrix »

a) No, 'you' want it to be selective.
b) No artwork necessary.
c) For all I care it can be saved in text format. [;)] Once it's un-encrypted, then:
d) I have faith that even if *I* can't puzzle out what to change, someone else will.

From my point of view, small change, large gain.

But if I thought it was *absolutely vital* I'd have re-posted this in the wishlist. I'm realistic enough to know that this is never, ever, ever going to be implemented due to the pre-existing situation.

Steve.
"Nature always obeys Her own laws" - Leonardo da Vinci
User avatar
2Stepper
Posts: 950
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2003 11:16 pm
Location: North Burbs of Omaha
Contact:

RE: Save Game Files

Post by 2Stepper »

I guess I don't really understand the debate here. Seems like a fuss in a vacuum to me. The only thing I've ever wanted out of PBEM files was the smallest filesize possible for ease of emailing.

Otherwise, encrypted or not is really beside the point to me as I don't even think about it. Reason being is that I consider the email and loading process of the files to be a manual method of the computers resolving the turn in an online turn based game. So honestly while some MIGHT think this way or that about a turn miscue it really doesn't occur to me. Supposed to be a wargame right? You just roll with the punches is all.

That's just my 2 cents from left field as there's just as much a chance that I didn't even "get" the discussion/argument. LOL!! Keep em churnin gents! [8D]
Image
"Send in the Infantry. Tanks cost money... the dead cost nothing..." :)
User avatar
scout1
Posts: 3124
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:26 pm
Location: South Bend, In

RE: Save Game Files

Post by scout1 »

OK guys,

Relative to Mr Frag's comments ..........

The user community (not me though) has apparently set up a number of utilities to
query game state information, but is limited to the 'at start' positions. I've seen
threads both here and at Spooky's on add-on/separate utilities that help with alot
of the multitude of data this tremendous games generates/tracks (but only at the
start). I frankly don't care whether the information for the side that I'm playing comes
directly out of a query of the save game file, or a separate file is generated that
can be queried. Bottomline, with the use of these utilities and future ones would
GREATLY aid in the players game management.

Apparently, the information management/interface was decided a long time ago to
do this and not that. Fine, I'm sure they were for good reasons. But at least allow the
community access to enhance this. I'd like to query the game and provide a listing of ALL
assets at every base I have. If I can get it as a csv file. I'm good to go. This is an example and I'm sure there are others.

I don't mean to over simplify but don't sell this issue to me as purely an honesty thing between players. There are ways around that.
User avatar
Mr.Frag
Posts: 11195
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Purgatory

RE: Save Game Files

Post by Mr.Frag »

I don't mean to over simplify but don't sell this issue to me as purely an honesty thing between players. There are ways around that.

How many people either posted here or flooded us with PM's about the scenario files reporting they may have been modified? I know I got at least 50 personally of this sort: "Don't want to you and I don't want to imply anything, but the ... says it has been modified. Is this ok?"

The save files were locked to prevent cheating. If you do not accept that people cheat, thats perfectly fine. I am not implying they do. It was simply done to prevent it from the very start, just as the scenario files are signed ... to inspire trust between two players.

I also understand that it would be fantastic to be able to go in and fix things that went wrong in a game *after* the fact without having to restart just because "xyz" got fixed.

I'm not taking sides one way or the other, I just want to be very clear on the implications before I go and turn this into a feature request that may or may not ever get implemented.

The overall implication is that once this was done, there is no going back in time to the days of people knowing that save games are locked ... period ... Pandora has been released for all time. It can never be undone. Once you have a normal save and an encrypted save, it takes about 15 minutes to reverse engineer the encryption. Look at the state of DVD's [;)]

I am rather mixed personally about that implication. People are generally of good moral character and don't cheat, but when things go bad the temptation to have a peak is awfully high. One peak can potentially ruin what was a great game that 2 people had committed months of their time to.
User avatar
fbastos
Posts: 827
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:05 pm

RE: Save Game Files

Post by fbastos »

I'm not taking sides one way or the other, I just want to be very clear on the implications before I go and turn this into a feature request that may or may not ever get implemented.

One way of avoiding complications is to keep everything as it is, and add this feature: when saving a game, always generate a text file with extension .CSV, that has all the data for the units on my side, like

ShipName,X,Y,TF,Sys,etc...
CV Enterprise,20,40,38,0,etc...
....
LcuName,X,Y,Leader,etc...
66th Inf,50,60,Gen Bruhaha,etc...
...

That wouldn't affect PBEM, and would enable folks to write down their utilities.

F.
I'm running out of jokes...

Image
User avatar
steveh11Matrix
Posts: 943
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:54 am
Contact:

RE: Save Game Files

Post by steveh11Matrix »

Frag - OK: I've made my pitch, now I'm going to wait and see what other people think. Thanks for understanding that the 'screetch factor' was frustration talking, and not personal.

Steve.
"Nature always obeys Her own laws" - Leonardo da Vinci
User avatar
MadmanRick
Posts: 579
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:39 pm
Location: New York City, U.S.A.

RE: Save Game Files

Post by MadmanRick »

I have a question/suggestion regarding save game files. it's my understanding (right or wrong) that the save game files are encrypted which prevents access to in-game states. This is presumably why the utilities being developed by the user community for scenario start info can't be used for in game queries.
WitP is a wonderful game that didn't go the extra yard as to interface/information management. These add-on's do this, but are limited to starts.

Is there any reason to encrypt these game files ? Sure would be nice to turn these
utilities loose for in progress games

Question? What possible use would this info provide (besides the aforementioned cheating, which I think could be a problem)? I don't understand this at all. Someone please enlighten me?

Rick
Image
"Our lives begin to end the moment we become silent about things that matter". Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”