Night Bombing

Uncommon Valor: Campaign for the South Pacific covers the campaigns for New Guinea, New Britain, New Ireland and the Solomon chain.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Tankerace, siRkid

Post Reply
User avatar
rekab
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:33 am
Location: Kent, England

Night Bombing

Post by rekab »

Hi,

I've been following a thread on our younger sister forum (WITP), what do you guys think should be allowed re the above?

When playing IJN I do use my Nells only, to bomb PM airfield for the first few turns, until the enemy carriers should turn up, is that taking an advantage of the weakness in the game engine?

US LBA later in the game can use night attacks to quickly reduce IJN bases, so should UV get a patch to reduce accuracy and impose short time fatigue cost when changing from day to night bombing or vice versa?

--Bob[&:]
User avatar
CMDRMCTOAST
Posts: 673
Joined: Sat May 03, 2003 6:34 am
Location: Mount Vernon wa..

RE: Night Bombing

Post by CMDRMCTOAST »

There will probably not be another patch for UV as the WITP game
has been so successful and they will be working in other directions.

Night bombing is ok but less accurate than day bombing, I think it
is harder for the japanese to close down a base and keep it closed like
the allies can unless they are going to take it in several days, then you
will have to have a sustained campaign of bombing runs, offshore bombardment
and airfield and port attacks by your carriers to close it, the one thing is the allied
engineers especially the seabees can open it up quickly and all will be for not
hence the invasion of the base scenario.

The allies eventually have far more aircraft and can fly more heavies than the
japanese player can so it is easier for them to sustain a bombing campaign with
regular rotation of squadrons.

Some one else may have an idea on the numbers as far as pilot checks involved
with night operations and such.
The essence of military genius is to bring under
consideration all of the tendencies of the mind
and soul in combination towards the business of
war..... Karl von Clausewitz
User avatar
Nomad
Posts: 7273
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2001 8:00 am
Location: West Yellowstone, Montana

RE: Night Bombing

Post by Nomad »

The problem with night bombing ports or airfields is that:

1. They are too accurate.
2. Ops losses low to zero.
3. AAA is very ineffective
4. Night CAP rarely does anything.
5. Fatigue is low.

I have had 19-29 Betty and/or Nell bombers hit Nouema at night, from Lunga, hit 2 or 3 CVs with one or two bombs apiece and return home with no ops losses and none of them hit by AAA. I have had this happen more than once.

Matrix Games did say, a long time ago now, that they would put out one more patch for UV to correct some of the bugs. The game engine is very simiular to WitP so patching bugs should not be too time consumming.
User avatar
Desertmole
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:22 am

RE: Night Bombing

Post by Desertmole »

It would be nice if they did. I would ask that they get rid of those bloody phantom squadrons with the A-20 image. They reek bloody H*** on trying to move aircraft to and from carriers![:@]
I only wish I had you, the gentlemen of the pen, exposed for once to a smart skirmishing fire...
User avatar
crsutton
Posts: 9590
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:56 pm
Location: Maryland

RE: Night Bombing

Post by crsutton »

Yes, you can use night bombing to hit Noumea without much danger to yourself. I just do not use it, and ask my opponent to do the same (port attacks) Other than that I am OK with it-especially late in the game when it is suicide for the Japanese to attack in the daylight.

Historically night attacks in formation were rare and very ineffective-especially in 1942.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Tuli Vapaa
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:24 am

RE: Night Bombing

Post by Tuli Vapaa »

I think night bombing of Noumea and Brisbane are few things that can make it an intresting game. If those are removed, USN player has almost no intrest to fight tooth and nail on Guadalcanal and Gili Gili. Instead the game turns into 'IJN attacks in '42, USN attacks in '43'. This isn't historical either. I tried few Head-to-Head scenarios on my own and it is possible to invade Guadalcanal with Americal- and 1st Marine Divisions early in the game. Ofcourse whole island turns into one huge hornets nest, where either side can win, but that is historical, isn't it?
Halsey
Posts: 4688
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:44 pm

RE: Night Bombing

Post by Halsey »

For UV, I think the only way to go is to allow only airfield attacks at night, with non-night trained AC. Night trained can attack any. Night naval can still be used.

Airfield attacks would still cause supply losses and AC losses, but no pilot loss.
Post Reply

Return to “Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific”