Gold pbem WA Strategy

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderators: Joel Billings, JanSorensen

User avatar
Paul Vebber
Posts: 5342
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Portsmouth RI
Contact:

Gold pbem WA Strategy

Post by Paul Vebber »

Well, I set out on a pretty good idea to threaten the German moves in the med, by shifting most of my fleet there to try to cut off the Axis forces in Africa. Good thought, but I totally bungled the execution of it!

3 things crippled me.

First, I didn't properly supply my drive into the Med, and while initially I pounded teh Italian navy, i could not follow it up and take them out. I then left myself vulnerable to counter attack and the Germans took full advantage.

Second, I took a chacne the german would try to go east early and did not research ASW early on, Unfortunately German went HEAVY in to subs and upped evasiona and trop attack and built a crap load of them (I think he has 11). HE sent several to teh med and used them to drive back into port at Suez, and has pretty much taken the entire NA and isolate the British Isles.

Third, I got some very bad naval attrition when I tried to press my advantage and lost ships to no effect on my turn, and then got hammered, when he attacked me back, out of supply, the next turn.

The good news is, it will be fast to upgared my naval tech becasue having no fleet left makes it cheap ;)
The silver lining it that it is now Fa 41 and its not clear if Germany will attack russia this trun or go for a knockout blow against Britain. In some ways, him going after England at this point is prefferable for us, as every turn closer to the factroy upgrades of 42 makes it that much more lickely the SU will survive and be in a STRONG position to take on Germany. Especially if England can hold out until the US gets in the war and now its 42 and Germany has not taken England and Scotland, and is not in a strong position to strike deep into the SU.

Unless Germany can take out England now that its down, I'm not sure the effort to cut England off from the Empire will pay off once the US enters and starts rolling back across. ITs a very interesting situation that could still play out to the Germans siginifcant advantage. I did not set out to "see how low you could go" and still get back into it, but seems that is the position I'm currently in...

SO its hole up for 3 or 4 turns and hoe the US can push the Atlantic conveyor back across to reunify the UK!
User avatar
Becket
Posts: 1242
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:42 pm

RE: Gold pbem WA Strategy

Post by Becket »

/em waves at Germans

/em points west

That way! That way!

Heh, actually, I think I'd rather go ahead and start Barth's clock ticking. Besides, if he does take Britain, getting supply will be a major pain in the arse.

"The very word Moscow meant a lot to all of us....it meant all we had ever fought for" -Rokossovsky
User avatar
Paul Vebber
Posts: 5342
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Portsmouth RI
Contact:

RE: Gold pbem WA Strategy

Post by Paul Vebber »

Well, you can't say the game is not going to get exciting in the next 3 or 4 turns - I think Germany wil "pull something off" and put himself in teh drivers seat, or will find himself betwixt and between...

At least people will get to see what happens when the WA screws up in the beginning ;) And whether taking on England and trying to knock them out early is viable, even when handed to you on a platter [:o]
User avatar
Becket
Posts: 1242
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:42 pm

RE: Gold pbem WA Strategy

Post by Becket »

Lend Lease!

[:D][:D][:D]

"The very word Moscow meant a lot to all of us....it meant all we had ever fought for" -Rokossovsky
User avatar
Barthheart
Posts: 3080
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:16 pm
Location: Nepean, Ontario

RE: Gold pbem WA Strategy

Post by Barthheart »

ORIGINAL: Becket

Lend Lease!

[:D][:D][:D]

Over my dead body! ..... Oh wait![X(]
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
User avatar
Paul Vebber
Posts: 5342
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Portsmouth RI
Contact:

RE: Gold pbem WA Strategy

Post by Paul Vebber »

Well, ecking out my meager English existence continues, we do get a German Hvy Flt in the Eastern Med damaged at the cost of a light damaged. And we reinforce Cairo to counter an Afrika Korps deployed. It will have a tough go of things without air cover. Every unit not on teh Eatern font is a unit not of the key action.

I'm pretty much pursuing an "Oddball" strategy - distracting the Germans by letting them shoot holes in me...so far it has kept the SU not only in the game, but but giving as good as they get.

Shift our light fleets to the IO to try to stem the hemorrage of transports (who are runing for their lives ... the admiral in charge must be "Sir Robin"...[:D]

Our goal now is to get supplies to the Russians by hook or by crook... They have done well to bloody the Wehrmacht. Hopefully we can get tehm teh badly needed supplies to continue teh offenseive and let them build up and increase their capabilities. A-bomb research is getting into high gear, there is nothing else much I can do ... i also have a couple other surprises in the works ;)
User avatar
Paul Vebber
Posts: 5342
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Portsmouth RI
Contact:

RE: Gold pbem WA Strategy

Post by Paul Vebber »

Well we have well over 50 supply points in or near to the Soviet border - so that should come at a most opportune moment given the reverses suffered by Stalin. We FINALLY get our light fleets 2 dice asw attacks and nearing 3 for our CV air. That should help remove the scourge of the Uboats! Pushing Supplies has been the order of the day and building transports to repace our losses. THis has come at the expense of US ground forces, but we need to take the seas back before gorund forces will do us any good so I'm focusing on a Navy that will surge back across to England. Its tough when the US doesn't come in until Sp43 - the clock is ticking! Its always amazing how fast 43 and 44 go and suddenly you have to have Germany and Japan in a tiny box and be smashing their industry with bombers - and have the Big One ready to win...

With my naval problems its going to be Su 43 before I can really get my army built up where I need it to be for offensive ops! Then I have to get to "over there" you really understand why it was Su44 before D-Day occured...the WA is a logistics nightmare! (though not as bad as Japan - they have even more problems - and WAY less supplies. I don't enve IDB...I think he's been downing more than normal as teh Japs...

I hoep it drinking beers that has him quite...he has done well in china, but has been WAY too quiet..he is going to spring something - I just know it! I hope I can handle it, because with Russia on the ropes, major distractions succking supplies in the Pacific is NOT helpful :)

This game si really showing the razor edge between stunning victory and diaster you have to balance in this game. Not since East Front - the block game) have I seen so much of "both sides thinking they are screwed" at teh same time because of a combination fo FOW and having only 50 cents to buy a bucks worth of victroy!
IDrinkBeer
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:30 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

RE: Gold pbem WA Strategy

Post by IDrinkBeer »

Paul, I'm lying low for a reason. I don't have enough supplies to do anything but be a "fly in the ointment". I burned an awful lot of supplies taking China out and spent a lot of production fixing damaged aircraft.

My moment in the sun is coming though. It might be short but it will be bright.
IDB

"Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom!"
User avatar
Paul Vebber
Posts: 5342
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Portsmouth RI
Contact:

RE: Gold pbem WA Strategy

Post by Paul Vebber »

And if its against the Russians, I might be able to occupy myself sending you "I drink Beer in Birtchtesgarten", rather than coming after you right away ;) THe urge for Sushi passes quickly, and doesn;t go well with Beer
User avatar
Becket
Posts: 1242
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:42 pm

RE: Gold pbem WA Strategy

Post by Becket »

By all means. I hate the idea of waiting until Fall 1945 to get my dacha in Hokkaido.

[:D]

"The very word Moscow meant a lot to all of us....it meant all we had ever fought for" -Rokossovsky
User avatar
Paul Vebber
Posts: 5342
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Portsmouth RI
Contact:

RE: Gold pbem WA Strategy

Post by Paul Vebber »

Got you 25 odd SP this turn.

Germany tried an end around on Cairo - I made them pay - one unretreatable tank driven into the Med ;)

The US comes in next turn...
User avatar
Paul Vebber
Posts: 5342
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Portsmouth RI
Contact:

RE: Gold pbem WA Strategy

Post by Paul Vebber »

The US ASW carriers move out and take out 3 uboats and suface action nets a light fleet and a transport. With CV air sporting ASW 3 and my transports ASW 2, the tide in the North Atlantic has turned on a dime! WE begin the build up for D-Day - that will take several turns, but we may beat the SU 44 date by a few turns...

Hey Japan, did you know CVs are cheaper by the DOZEN. Have fun now. Your time will come

I may have been staggered, but the birdies circling my head are leaving quickly!

Oh and by the way the Manhatten project should be up to 7 next turn - I should have the Bomb by the end of 44...
IDrinkBeer
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:30 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

RE: Gold pbem WA Strategy

Post by IDrinkBeer »

Oh and by the way the Manhatten project should be up to 7 next turn - I should have the Bomb by the end of 44...

You have to get close enough to drop it!!! [:D][:D][:D]
IDB

"Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom!"
User avatar
Paul Vebber
Posts: 5342
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Portsmouth RI
Contact:

RE: Gold pbem WA Strategy

Post by Paul Vebber »

That is the spirit RUN NOW SO I CAN'T CATCH YOU! [:D]
User avatar
Paul Vebber
Posts: 5342
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Portsmouth RI
Contact:

RE: Gold pbem WA Strategy

Post by Paul Vebber »

A massive force is welcomed into Finland - which was garrisoned only by supply (an move I can see myslef easily making...After tossing asside your uboats in the artic, there is now a force of 15 WA units ready to fight shoulder to shoulder with their Soviet Comrades down the Baltic coast!

Karelia and Leningrad will need to be massively reinforced or abandoned. We also put a little hurtin on Paris - that will need reinforcements too. SO many palces to reinforce, so few troops...now that the atlantic is once again the real "Highway to the Reich".

Aussie history books will not speak highly of Roosevelt in this case, As I have basically left Austrailia to the Japs, concetrating my naval force in teh atlantic. Once Russia is back on her feet and teh Jerries in full retreat on both fronts...their will be PLENTY of time to send the Fleet back to the Pacific...Have fun while you can Japan. You only have so much supply and so many resources to convert!

Way to few though, when it gets down to Me on one side and Russia coming for you from the other...
User avatar
Paul Vebber
Posts: 5342
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Portsmouth RI
Contact:

RE: Gold pbem WA Strategy

Post by Paul Vebber »

Well, now I understand why Finland was not a big concern. I was even more flaberghasted when the Germans basically ignored me there and continued to drive into Russia [X(]

Well, the implication of the liberation rule are pretty dramatic in the SU...I didn't give then a lot of thought, but one major country can never occupy the land of another major power, so its impossible to liberate Soviet territory as the WA. You can kill Germans there, but at the end of the atack you get sent back where you started.


So beware, if the Germans conquer the SU, its stays conquered until you conquer Germany. If your ppbem opponent is lucky eonough to take out Russia, make sure you extend heavy bmber range and build some extra to bomb the German occupied Soviet factories that are inland. Otherwise you may end up not being able to do better than a draw.

That is the only way you can take out German held factories in the SU.

Not a bug - that is how its supposed to be, so don't be dumb like me and try to use German held Soviet territory form Scandavaia to threaten the Baltic, or take Turkey thinking you can drive up from the Black Sea. You can't use German held former Soviet territory in your plans!



To further make my day...my assualt to liberate Denmark failed miserably - two heroic GErmans held out against a couple air units, several heavy fleets and 3 assaulting infantry. All that was only able to kill one German and one of my attackers got whacked.

SO now my major force in in Norway, threatening the Baltic fromt eh other end, but artillery in Denmark can make it pretty much impossibel to conduct operations through into the Baltic.

The Germans made a death ride into the Atlantic with their fleet and take out more transports than I would have liked, but I was able to take out 3 subs, a light and a hvy fleet. I blockaded the remaining uboat ports.

I also started "preparing the battlespace" in the Med for possible operations there.

In the Pacific, I sent my surface raiders in to start strangling the transport fleets to the far flung parts of the Japanese Empire. My hope is that he will not have enough supply to get the fleets back home and I will be able to engage them piecemeal.

My plans to invade japanese held territory near the Artic to get a ground force in play won;t work for teh same reason as my plans to help liberate western Russia...A word to teh Wise there too...




User avatar
Paul Vebber
Posts: 5342
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Portsmouth RI
Contact:

RE: Gold pbem WA Strategy

Post by Paul Vebber »

Well, this trun was pretty much about getting as much force as i could into denmark. Its pretty loaded - over 25 units! Lots of armor and arty!

I gota pretty good infrastructure attack in! West German Industry will have to rebuild somewhat! (I hope that was in this game... I have too many going on and its too late [:o])

I got a decent amount of LL tot eh Russians. but ran out of supply before rembering to move my light fleets to do some ASW in the Med...that will bite I'm sure...

In the Pacific the Aussies start moving north with the cover a large BB task Force. My CVs are hiding ntil their planes regenerate...


User avatar
Becket
Posts: 1242
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:42 pm

RE: Gold pbem WA Strategy

Post by Becket »

/em wild cheering

Go WA!!

"The very word Moscow meant a lot to all of us....it meant all we had ever fought for" -Rokossovsky
User avatar
Paul Vebber
Posts: 5342
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Portsmouth RI
Contact:

RE: Gold pbem WA Strategy

Post by Paul Vebber »

Big lessons learned in this game are - you can never build too many transports - I still don;t have all teh resources form Africa bak "in the net" yet... there are like 20 or 25 resources I'm short becasue of poor SLOC management.

That could well be the deciding factor in the game in the long run as the severe drubbing I took early has cost me well over 100 PP in late 42 and 43.

"Supply chain managment" in general has been a problem. next time I play WA i'm gon to build 25 or 30 transports in the US to make sure I have "super highways at sea" - skiping to save 50 or 60 PP on transports and building units, a lot of which are still sitting around will have cost me at least 50-60 more by the time I finally get my SLOCS straightened out in 44.

I could have delayed the invasion of denmark - or gone for less contentious area like Italy, but with SU hangin on by a thread I felt LL to them and getting a large foothold as close to the German doorstep as possible was vital to get the preasure off the SU. It may have hamstrung my efforts to teh force I need to ultimately win the war of attrition in Germany, but potentially losing the SU was a far bigger risk than losing 20-25 resources per turn from the hinterlands by not having transports to get there. Once i start pushing back up into teh SRA and force Japan to pull back out f the fringes of the IO, i'm poised to thrust the SLOC back out into the IO.

IT will likely be the end of 44 before I have a fully 'global supply network" restablished. That may prove too late.

Alot depends on what germany does about Denmark. I they go for "decisive battle" it will be a big risk of a lot of forcs, but kicking me out with a lot of damamge may be worth it. If it goes badly for him, with the SU getting back on its feet, and Allied air power building in the West (I'll have 15 Heavy bombers by the end of next turn [X(][8D]). My intent to to try to conduct a strategic air campaign that will make my mismanagment of resources less of an issue, by similarly crippling Germany's production base. This will hopefully allow the Russians to be the Hammer, and Denmark to be the anvil.
User avatar
Barthheart
Posts: 3080
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:16 pm
Location: Nepean, Ontario

RE: Gold pbem WA Strategy

Post by Barthheart »

ORIGINAL: Paul Vebber

...(I'll have 15 Heavy bombers by the end of next turn [X(][8D]). My intent to to try to conduct a strategic air campaign that will make my mismanagment of resources less of an issue, by similarly crippling Germany's production base. ...


Ah crap![:@]
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”