OT Is this not one of the neatest things you’ve seen lately?

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Post Reply
lordmaul13
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:04 pm

OT Is this not one of the neatest things you’ve seen lately?

Post by lordmaul13 »

Hi,

I don’t know if anyone here will actually care but I think this is one of the [8D] things I’ve ever seen and I’m going to share it with you people.

I discovered my parents had this a few months ago and I happened across it again today. It’s a copy of History of the Knights Templars, published in 1875. As you can see, the spine and edges are a worn but I think it’s in great shape for 130 years old. I probably ought to be wearing white gloves when I touch it.

I think I might read it. I don’t know much about the Knights Templars.

lordmaul13

Image
Attachments
KnightsTemplar5.jpg
KnightsTemplar5.jpg (32.79 KiB) Viewed 332 times
Then let the trumpets sound the tucket-sonance and the note to mount!
For our approach shall so much dare the field England shall couch down in fear and yield.
lordmaul13
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:04 pm

RE: OT Is this not one of the neatest things you’ve seen lately?

Post by lordmaul13 »

Hi,

And here’s a picture of the colored pattern on the edge of the pages. They sure don’t make them like they used to.

lordmaul13

Image
Attachments
KnightsTemplar4.jpg
KnightsTemplar4.jpg (33.81 KiB) Viewed 332 times
Then let the trumpets sound the tucket-sonance and the note to mount!
For our approach shall so much dare the field England shall couch down in fear and yield.
User avatar
Feinder
Posts: 7204
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 7:33 pm
Location: Land o' Lakes, FL

RE: OT Is this not one of the neatest things you’ve seen lately?

Post by Feinder »

My personal passion is "olde" maps. I've got about 8 or so, that are between 100 and 200 years old.

My wife is the one for old books, particularly poetry (she's an English teacher). She's got several (none of which I can name, or actually care about). But I did manage to find for her a signed copy of a first edition by Robert Frost (her favorite). It's not 100 years old, I think it's copywrite is 1920; but it's still pretty cool.

Needless to say, it and the other nice books, are on the top shelf on the book-case. The first two shelves are fair game to be eaten by our 8 month old (he's got 4 teeth now, so -everything- goes in the mouth).

-F-
"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

Image
User avatar
ltfightr
Posts: 536
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 7:46 am
Location: Little Rock AR
Contact:

RE: OT Is this not one of the neatest things you’ve seen lately?

Post by ltfightr »

Just wait until everything gets crayon.... and they learn to climb. Turn you back for 30 sec on my three year old...
Support the Boy Scouts buy Popcorn!
http://www.trails-end.com/estore/scouts ... id=3133025
User avatar
Feinder
Posts: 7204
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 7:33 pm
Location: Land o' Lakes, FL

RE: OT Is this not one of the neatest things you’ve seen lately?

Post by Feinder »

"See daddy, now Robert Frost and -ME- wrote the book! Aren't you proud!"





Image
Attachments
Name.jpg
Name.jpg (25.29 KiB) Viewed 332 times
"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

Image
User avatar
fabertong
Posts: 4546
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:01 am
Location: Bristol, England, U.K.

RE: OT Is this not one of the neatest things you’ve seen lately?

Post by fabertong »

Ahh......The knights Templar, welcome to the world of heresy................
User avatar
ltfightr
Posts: 536
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 7:46 am
Location: Little Rock AR
Contact:

RE: OT Is this not one of the neatest things you’ve seen lately?

Post by ltfightr »

LOL [:D]
Support the Boy Scouts buy Popcorn!
http://www.trails-end.com/estore/scouts ... id=3133025
User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

RE: OT Is this not one of the neatest things you’ve seen lately?

Post by Cap Mandrake »

Wait, Lordmaul, didn't you make enough money on the Da Vinci Code? Now you are pushing your next project in a computer game forum? [:'(][;)]
Image
User avatar
fabertong
Posts: 4546
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:01 am
Location: Bristol, England, U.K.

RE: OT Is this not one of the neatest things you’ve seen lately?

Post by fabertong »

Why is friday the thirteenth unlucky, ask the Knights Templar...............
lordmaul13
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:04 pm

RE: OT Is this not one of the neatest things you’ve seen lately?

Post by lordmaul13 »

If I were Dan Brown? or whatever his name is, I might push my new book on a game website but it probably wouldn't be this one. It would probably be one that sold 40 bazillion copies. Doom 3 maybe but the type who plays Doom 3 probably wouldn't be interested in the book. Of course, I think I'd like to play Doom 3 and I'm interested in the Knights Templars.....

So, Feinder, what areas of the world do your old maps show?

lordmaul13
Then let the trumpets sound the tucket-sonance and the note to mount!
For our approach shall so much dare the field England shall couch down in fear and yield.
User avatar
testarossa
Posts: 958
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:06 pm

RE: OT Is this not one of the neatest things you’ve seen lately?

Post by testarossa »

Well' i've read somewhere that it is not recommended to "read" such an old books - something about germs and fungus which can destroy the paper or something.
User avatar
Gem35
Posts: 3420
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:51 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

RE: OT Is this not one of the neatest things you’ve seen lately?

Post by Gem35 »

You can build this wonder and recieve a free Crusader unit [:)]
It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Banner By Feurer Krieg[/center]
User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

RE: OT Is this not one of the neatest things you’ve seen lately?

Post by Nikademus »

were the knights of Templar related to the knights who say "NI!" ??

User avatar
Drex
Posts: 2512
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Chico,california

RE: OT Is this not one of the neatest things you’ve seen lately?

Post by Drex »

I'm not sure if modern history has added to the story of the Knights Templar so the book might still be timely. You should read it or send it to me and I'll read it. I have "The Murdered Magicians" by Partner and "the Templars" by Burtman,both mnodern publications.
Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"
lordmaul13
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:04 pm

RE: OT Is this not one of the neatest things you’ve seen lately?

Post by lordmaul13 »

Well' i've read somewhere that it is not recommended to "read" such an old books - something about germs and fungus which can destroy the paper or something.

I’ve heard something along that line too but I’ll probably read it anyway. I read the preface and it looks like an interesting book. I think it’ll be next in line after 3 Days in August.
were the knights of Templar related to the knights who say "NI!" ??

I don’t know, I haven’t read the book yet. [:D] [;)] I don't know much about the Crusades time preiod but I believe the Templars guarded temples and roadways that pilgrims visiting the holy land followed.
You should read it or send it to me and I'll read it.

No way. [:)] For one, it isn’t really mine and two, some of my books are my most prized possessions. I've loved to read ever since I learned how and I love books. I could never forgive myself if I let something happen to that one. [:)]

lordmaul13
Then let the trumpets sound the tucket-sonance and the note to mount!
For our approach shall so much dare the field England shall couch down in fear and yield.
User avatar
gunnergoz
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue May 21, 2002 4:57 am
Location: San Diego CA
Contact:

RE: OT Is this not one of the neatest things you’ve seen lately?

Post by gunnergoz »

Nice. Take good care of it, it may be worth something.

It's almost as old as my 1861 U.S. Army Regulations book, but you'rs seems to be in a little bit better condition. The regulations book belonged to the 5th Maine Volunteer Infantry and was with them at virtually every ACW battle including Bull Run, Fredricksburg, Cold Harbor and Gettysburg. I go for "history" over "mythology." [:D] Some day I'll have to get it appraised.
"Things are getting better!
...Well, maybe not as good as they were yesterday, but much better than they will be tomorrow!"
-Old Russian saying
lordmaul13
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:04 pm

RE: OT Is this not one of the neatest things you’ve seen lately?

Post by lordmaul13 »

That's [8D] I live in the midwest so I haven't been to many of those eastern battlefields. I have made it to Antietam, though. I even made it out and participated in the 140th anniversary Antietam re-enactment a couple years back. That was a pretty good one until someone whispered "rain" and everybody packed up and left. Wimps. [;)]

5th Maine doesn't ring any bells but you never know, if you wanted to sell it you might get lucky and find a 5th Maine collector/fan who'll pay $$$$$$$ for it. Do you know anything about the 5th?
Nice. Take good care of it, it may be worth something.

If it ever becomes mine I sure will. I doubt I’d ever sell it, though. It would probably have to be at least six or eight figures before I’d even think about it. Some things are worth more than money. Usually it isn’t an inanimate object but occasionally it is. For me, that would be one of those occasions.
I go for "history" over "mythology."

I think what you’re saying is that the Knights Templars have been glamorized in popular media, especially of late (and probably before “of late” I can’t really say, I’m not much of a Crusades scholar.). They were big in The Davinci Code and National Treasure, two name a couple items. But the Crusades and the Knights Templars were real and so, history, not myth. [:)]

I hope that this book is old enough that maybe its more scholarly and less lets fill it up with popular myths, even though they may not be true. I’ll probably read it and then see if there is another about them at the library, if not I’ll probably buy one and compare the two.

lordmaul13
Then let the trumpets sound the tucket-sonance and the note to mount!
For our approach shall so much dare the field England shall couch down in fear and yield.
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”