Scenario suggestions for a newbie?

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Post Reply
User avatar
Graymane
Posts: 584
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:21 pm
Location: Bellevue, NE

Scenario suggestions for a newbie?

Post by Graymane »

Ok, I've been learning the game mainly via playing the Marianas Campaign which is a small, manageable map. I would like to play another map now, any good suggestions? I prefer playing the allies but it isn't set in stone and I don't care what time period. I don't really want to jump into a huge map though because I don't have tons of times.
A computer without COBOL and Fortran is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.
User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

RE: Scenario suggestions for a newbie?

Post by Nikademus »

Try the Mariana's scenerio.....as Japan.


[:'(]

(ok ok....maybe as Allies first. )
Speedysteve
Posts: 15990
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Reading, England

RE: Scenario suggestions for a newbie?

Post by Speedysteve »

As Nik says if you're a masachist go for Japan in Mariana's.....otherwise try as Allied. It's an eye opener!
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
User avatar
tsimmonds
Posts: 5490
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:01 pm
Location: astride Mason and Dixon's Line

RE: Scenario suggestions for a newbie?

Post by tsimmonds »

Try the smaller one that starts in May 1942. That is challenging for either side.
Fear the kitten!
User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

RE: Scenario suggestions for a newbie?

Post by Nikademus »

Being serious (for once) playing Japan in Marianas can be preferable for a newbie in that you only have to manage a good sized naval force with a managable amount of land based airpower. True you'll get your tail handed to you in most cases but you'll learn the ropes in a hurry

The disadvantage of playing hte Allies is you have a much bigger force to manage + you have to manage a big amphib operation which can be taxing for a newbie.

User avatar
tsimmonds
Posts: 5490
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:01 pm
Location: astride Mason and Dixon's Line

RE: Scenario suggestions for a newbie?

Post by tsimmonds »

ORIGINAL: Graymane

Ok, I've been learning the game mainly via playing the Marianas Campaign which is a small, manageable map. I would like to play another map now, any good suggestions? I prefer playing the allies but it isn't set in stone and I don't care what time period. I don't really want to jump into a huge map though because I don't have tons of times.
Graymane, just ignore the posts from these non-readers. I'm sure they mean well....[;)]
Fear the kitten!
User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: Scenario suggestions for a newbie?

Post by DuckofTindalos »

Try the Guadalcanal scenario. It's a particular favorite of mine: small map, playable over a period of time that doesn't involve the player turning very, very, very, very old, and it isn't grossly tilted in favour of either side.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
lordmaul13
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:04 pm

RE: Scenario suggestions for a newbie?

Post by lordmaul13 »

you might give the Guadalcanal or Coral Sea scenarios a try. Coral Sea is really short, only 2 weeks. Guadalcanal is longer maybe even 6 months but you'll know who won a long time before then. Forces are pretty even too. I'd give the carrier edge to the Allies but the Japanese have a huge surface fleet advantage.

lordmaul13
Then let the trumpets sound the tucket-sonance and the note to mount!
For our approach shall so much dare the field England shall couch down in fear and yield.
User avatar
crsutton
Posts: 9590
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:56 pm
Location: Maryland

RE: Scenario suggestions for a newbie?

Post by crsutton »

I really wish there were more short to mid scenarios in the game. I don't ever think I would be interested in big campaign. Perhaps, a few more what-if scenarios.


I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
sabreman1966mcs
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:49 am
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, UK

RE: Scenario suggestions for a newbie?

Post by sabreman1966mcs »

ORIGINAL: Graymane

Ok, I've been learning the game mainly via playing the Marianas Campaign which is a small, manageable map. I would like to play another map now, any good suggestions? I prefer playing the allies but it isn't set in stone and I don't care what time period. I don't really want to jump into a huge map though because I don't have tons of times.

Try the Rising Sun scenario which lasts about three months and then, as others have said, the Guadalcanal scenario which lasts about six months. I've done them both as Allies and they are both good ones to learn from.
Soldiers generally win battles; generals get credit for them.
Napoleon Bonaparte
sabreman1966mcs
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:49 am
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, UK

RE: Scenario suggestions for a newbie?

Post by sabreman1966mcs »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

I really wish there were more short to mid scenarios in the game. I don't ever think I would be interested in big campaign. Perhaps, a few more what-if scenarios.



I think Feinder was doing a short one based around Midway, not sure what stage he is at with it though.
Soldiers generally win battles; generals get credit for them.
Napoleon Bonaparte
User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

RE: Scenario suggestions for a newbie?

Post by Nikademus »

My favorite is rapidly solidifying on the 5/42 start. Its a biggie but skips the (now) tedious start of war if playing Japan. All the frantic invasions are over and you can focus on a single campaign drive or two.
sabreman1966mcs
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:49 am
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, UK

RE: Scenario suggestions for a newbie?

Post by sabreman1966mcs »

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

My favorite is rapidly solidifying on the 5/42 start. Its a biggie but skips the (now) tedious start of war if playing Japan. All the frantic invasions are over and you can focus on a single campaign drive or two.

That sounds like my next move. I seem to be following a steady upward progression in the length of my scenarios - Coral Sea (two weeks), Rising Sun (three months), Guadalcanal (six months), First Year (twelve months). Think I'm doing that way more to get the wife used to seeing me sat in front of the screen more and more, one day I'll be able to sit in front of it 24/7 and she won't notice it or nag me about it [;)]
Soldiers generally win battles; generals get credit for them.
Napoleon Bonaparte
User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: Scenario suggestions for a newbie?

Post by DuckofTindalos »

I think the game really needs more short- to mid-length scenarios too. There is too much focus on Scenario 15, which, let's face it, most of us won't see the end of (especially if playing by E-Mail).

What I'd like to see is a stand-alone Coronet/Olympic scenario, perhaps running from 9/45 to 4/46. Does anyone know if you can extend the timeline beyond 4/46? I somehow don't see the Allies conquering the Japanese Home Islands in seven months.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
User avatar
Graymane
Posts: 584
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:21 pm
Location: Bellevue, NE

RE: Scenario suggestions for a newbie?

Post by Graymane »

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. As someone noticed, I've been playing the Marianas over and over again (not as the Japanese) mainly just to get a feel for the game mechanics. The very first scenario I thought about but that seemed huge too even though it is only PI, Burma, Malaya and such. How long does it take to do turn 1?

I've been avoiding the Japanese because they seem to have a lot more rules to learn like production.
A computer without COBOL and Fortran is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.
sabreman1966mcs
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:49 am
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, UK

RE: Scenario suggestions for a newbie?

Post by sabreman1966mcs »

ORIGINAL: Graymane

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. As someone noticed, I've been playing the Marianas over and over again (not as the Japanese) mainly just to get a feel for the game mechanics. The very first scenario I thought about but that seemed huge too even though it is only PI, Burma, Malaya and such. How long does it take to do turn 1?

I've been avoiding the Japanese because they seem to have a lot more rules to learn like production.

Production only effects the major campaign scenarios.

The first turn for Rising Sun doesn't normally take too long to do as Allies. If you play with historical first turn on then you should get a good idea as to where the IJN is heading for. If I remember right I think I spent about half an hour sorting out the first turn as the Allies, as most of the time you are reacting to the Japanese opening moves and trying to save what you can.

Hope this helps
Soldiers generally win battles; generals get credit for them.
Napoleon Bonaparte
User avatar
Graymane
Posts: 584
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:21 pm
Location: Bellevue, NE

RE: Scenario suggestions for a newbie?

Post by Graymane »

Hiya, thanks for the reply :) Do you know anywhere that has a OOB for the first turn that I could download? That would probably save me some time. I know I can look on the screens, but I like to have things in front of me :)
A computer without COBOL and Fortran is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.
sabreman1966mcs
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:49 am
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, UK

RE: Scenario suggestions for a newbie?

Post by sabreman1966mcs »

ORIGINAL: Graymane

Hiya, thanks for the reply :) Do you know anywhere that has a OOB for the first turn that I could download? That would probably save me some time. I know I can look on the screens, but I like to have things in front of me :)

I think Spooky's site has a first turn file for Scenario 15, but that is for an earlier version than 1.50 and it might be for the Japanese, I haven't seen one for the shorter scenarios.

Soldiers generally win battles; generals get credit for them.
Napoleon Bonaparte
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”