A question regarding retreat paths

Post bug reports and ask for tech support here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, JanSorensen

Post Reply
Badbonez
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:15 pm

A question regarding retreat paths

Post by Badbonez »

I am playing a PBEM game as Axis and my opponent invaded Vichy France with a half dozen transports sitting in the western med. The next turn I counter-attacked and retook the territory (barely) but instead of his units retreating (through the transports) they were all destroyed. Plenty of other times I've seen units retreat from combat through transports, why not this time? WAllies do own Gibralter, and there are transports linking the western Med to the UK. What happened here?

I have the game saved after my counter-attack. I don't know if this was a bug and should be reported in the support forum? Or some rule I, and my oponent, are unaware of. Ideas?

Thanks.
Guinness...not just for breakfast anymore!
User avatar
Barthheart
Posts: 3080
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:16 pm
Location: Nepean, Ontario

RE: A question regarding retreat paths

Post by Barthheart »

Were all the units damaged? If so they are then damaged again for having to retreat via transports and would be destroyed.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
Badbonez
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:15 pm

RE: A question regarding retreat paths

Post by Badbonez »

Ahhh...it pays to RTFM. Yes, I believe I damaged or destroyed every unit that was in VIchy France. So units that retreat through transports become damaged, which would mean these were destroyed. The weird thing was that the game gave me the messsage "Unit unable to retreat" so that's what was confusing.

Thanks.
Guinness...not just for breakfast anymore!
User avatar
5cats
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:17 am

RE: A question regarding retreat paths

Post by 5cats »

Actually I think there were un-damaged infantry, but I didn't go searching to see if they (2 of them) survived or not.
Does this mean Militia cannot retreat? Across the sea I mean.
No Will but Thy Will
No Law but the Laws You make
User avatar
Barthheart
Posts: 3080
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:16 pm
Location: Nepean, Ontario

RE: A question regarding retreat paths

Post by Barthheart »

That's right, militia will die if retreating to the sea.... important safety tip.[:-]
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
User avatar
Joel Billings
Posts: 33775
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Contact:

RE: A question regarding retreat paths

Post by Joel Billings »

Actually, if you have a save just before the combat, or can set it up again, that would be very helpful. Something isn't quite right here. If you have units forced to retreat over transports, they should be damaged (but damaged units should not be further damaged). I just did a test where the both the damaged and undamaged units retreated over a transport and went back to factories as they should, but I did not get the "unable to retreat" message. If you were getting this message then I think that is a bug. Are you using the 1.016 patch?
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Badbonez
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:15 pm

RE: A question regarding retreat paths

Post by Badbonez »

Yes, 1.016. I found the email with that game turn and re-set the positions. You may have to attack a couple times, the odds are about 60%. Where do I send it?

Guinness...not just for breakfast anymore!
User avatar
Joel Billings
Posts: 33775
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Contact:

RE: A question regarding retreat paths

Post by Joel Billings »

Send it to 2by3@2by3games.com. Thanks.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
MrQuiet
Posts: 791
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:35 pm

RE: A question regarding retreat paths

Post by MrQuiet »

But did they have a retreat path to a factory? No factory on Gibralter. Dont they retreat one land teritory in the direction of a factory that they have a link to?

Just curious.

-MrQuiet
User avatar
Joel Billings
Posts: 33775
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Contact:

RE: A question regarding retreat paths

Post by Joel Billings »

Good point, if no link to a factory, they would die.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Badbonez
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:15 pm

RE: A question regarding retreat paths

Post by Badbonez »

Still doesn't make sense. There was a clear path of transports to the UK. Why would they go to Gibralter and not the UK? I'll send the file shortly.

Guinness...not just for breakfast anymore!
Post Reply

Return to “Gary Grigsby's World at War - Support”