Screen resolution?

From the creators of Crown of Glory come an epic tale of North Vs. South. By combining area movement on the grand scale with optional hex based tactical battles when they occur, Forge of Freedom provides something for every strategy gamer. Control economic development, political development with governers and foreign nations, and use your military to win the bloodiest war in US history.

Moderator: Gil R.

Post Reply
User avatar
Brausepaul
Posts: 484
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:54 pm
Location: Braunschweig, Deutschland

Screen resolution?

Post by Brausepaul »

Hi,

I'm sorry if this info is elsewhere, but I wonder what resolutions FoF will support? Non-fixed resolutions are a must for us TFT owners.[:)]
User avatar
ericbabe
Posts: 11852
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:57 am
Contact:

RE: Screen resolution?

Post by ericbabe »

I'm not sure yet.  It only runs in 1024x768 right now.  I've spent some time trying to get it to run in higher resolution modes -- and the basic functions of the game do run in various resolutions, but there are many critical issues that occur, and I'm not sure whether I'm going to be able to sort these out.


Image
User avatar
Brausepaul
Posts: 484
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:54 pm
Location: Braunschweig, Deutschland

RE: Screen resolution?

Post by Brausepaul »

Thanks for your answer, I hope you can get the resolution problems straight. I already play Hearts of Iron: Doomsday in a "wrong" resolution, and it is too blurry for my taste.
Warpstorm
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:57 am

RE: Screen resolution?

Post by Warpstorm »

That is a shame.  That resolution looks bad on my monitor.  If you can't support higher resolutions or a windowed display (I can put up with small but clear, just not blurry to the point of being unreadable), I'll pass.  The eye strain isn't worth it.
User avatar
jchastain
Posts: 2160
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 7:31 am
Location: Marietta, GA

RE: Screen resolution?

Post by jchastain »

ORIGINAL: Warpstorm

That is a shame.  That resolution looks bad on my monitor.  If you can't support higher resolutions or a windowed display (I can put up with small but clear, just not blurry to the point of being unreadable), I'll pass.  The eye strain isn't worth it.

OT: It is far from ideal and I only mention this because it sounds like you have a game or games that run at 1024x768 that you'd really like to be able to run. If you'll go to the device manager and change your monitor driver to manufacturer:standard model:1024x768 then your machine will think it has a smaller monitor and will only scale things across the left part of your screen (essentially ignoring the widescreen pixels and any vetical pixels beyond 768). As I said, it is far from ideal to have to switch drivers to play a game, but since you indicated you could accept small but clear, I thought I'd at least mention this option in case you hadn't considered it.
User avatar
Grotius
Posts: 5842
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2002 5:34 pm
Location: The Imperial Palace.

RE: Screen resolution?

Post by Grotius »

Along with a higher resolution, I hope you can consider supporting at least one widescreen resolution, such as 1280x800. I know it's late in development and probably too much to ask, but it would be nice.

Edit: Never mind, I just realized that I've already asked this, and you've already answered that it wasn't feasible. Eric Rukins I think has said I can adjust my video drivers to compensate for my widescreen, but I'm not sure how to do this. Anyway, I'll deal with it when the time comes.
Image
Fintilgin
Posts: 195
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:45 am

RE: Screen resolution?

Post by Fintilgin »

Another gamer here who would really like to see native support for widescreen, particularly 1680x1050. Even if it's an 'unsupported' .ini tweak or something.
PDiFolco
Posts: 1195
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:14 am

RE: Screen resolution?

Post by PDiFolco »

From experience, unfortunately 2D games can't support a wide array of resolutions, because the images are just "that size" and can't scale... But I think that nowadays at least 1024*768 and 1280*1024 res should be supported. Widescreens pose a different problem and simplest solution is IMHO to be able to run in windowed mode if possible.
 
PDF
Post Reply

Return to “Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865”