Japanese solo play questions

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Post Reply
fcam1387
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 3:09 am

Japanese solo play questions

Post by fcam1387 »

Hi guys

After playing the Rising Sun scenario as Japan and not doing that flash I am up for a new challenge ;) What is the best grand campaign to play as Japan? the 'War in the Pacific,' the day after one, or even the 1942, 1943 or 1944? By 'best' I mean most realistic, challenging and fun. Also, what is the best difficulty level to play on and are does anyone have any general tips / suggestions or strategies?

There will most likely be more questions on the way so I will try to keep this thread open.

Thanks
User avatar
jwilkerson
Posts: 8272
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2002 4:02 am
Location: Kansas
Contact:

RE: Japanese solo play questions

Post by jwilkerson »

S15: AI=Very Hard ... play historical time table and AI will general play fairly well.

WITP Admiral's Edition - Project Lead
War In Spain - Project Lead
User avatar
LittleJoe
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:22 pm

RE: Japanese solo play questions

Post by LittleJoe »

Play the 1944 campaign, the AI needs all the help it can get![:D]
Image
fcam1387
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 3:09 am

RE: Japanese solo play questions

Post by fcam1387 »

In regards to 'historical timetable,' does that mean that after the historical level of expansion I should revert to a defensive policy (like the Japanese did) or is it still possible to go for grand offensives ie. Hawaii, India or all of China?
Kapten Q
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:03 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

RE: Japanese solo play questions

Post by Kapten Q »

Well if you wan't anything good at all out of playing the AI you should defenately stop at the historical expansion mark. Personaly I think it is a waste of time playing the AI, the game engine can not handle it properly. This game is 100% PBEM.

Q
Rainer
Posts: 1210
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2000 10:00 am
Location: Neuching, Bavaria, Germany

RE: Japanese solo play questions

Post by Rainer »

ORIGINAL: Kapten Q

This game is 100% PBEM.

Q

That is simply a false statement.
The game has the features to play solo - either Japanese vs Computer or Allied vs Computer.
My own experience is only Allied versus Computer, and I fully enjoy it.
WitP/AE
1.7.11.26b
Data base changes by Andy Mac October 16, 2012
Scen #1 Allied vs AI Level Hard Daily Turns
Art Mods by TomLabel and Reg
Topo Map by chemkid

WitW / Torch
1.01.37 - 1.01.44 beta
User avatar
jwilkerson
Posts: 8272
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2002 4:02 am
Location: Kansas
Contact:

RE: Japanese solo play questions

Post by jwilkerson »

ORIGINAL: fcam1387

In regards to 'historical timetable,' does that mean that after the historical level of expansion I should revert to a defensive policy (like the Japanese did) or is it still possible to go for grand offensives ie. Hawaii, India or all of China?

I went against India, but primarily just to get a feel for the logistics .. but at the point I try something like that I do not expect the AI to be able to play as tough as a player. In the event I was success and took all the ports by early 1943, but against a human player it has to be done faster than that. The AI was attempting to counter attack in the solomons, but it was not having much success.

I let China lay still.
WITP Admiral's Edition - Project Lead
War In Spain - Project Lead
User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: Japanese solo play questions

Post by DuckofTindalos »

ORIGINAL: Rainer

ORIGINAL: Kapten Q

This game is 100% PBEM.

Q

That is simply a false statement.
The game has the features to play solo - either Japanese vs Computer or Allied vs Computer.
My own experience is only Allied versus Computer, and I fully enjoy it.

Concur.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
User avatar
Grotius
Posts: 5842
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2002 5:34 pm
Location: The Imperial Palace.

RE: Japanese solo play questions

Post by Grotius »

If you impose "house rules" on yourself, and try to play in a quasi-historical fashion, the AI will give you a decent game. And yeah, playing Japan in 1944 is another way to give yourself a challenge. :)
Image
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”