Old games we wish were remade..or converted to
Moderator: maddog986
RE: Old games we wish were remade..or converted to
I'd still like to see Advanced Third Reich, ASL, or other Avalon-Hill or SPI "Classics" (Drive on Stalingrad, Panzergruppe Guderian, Sniper, ect) It is myunderstanding that VASSAL does not have an AI, and that you are required to use the boardgame along with the computer.
That's nice if you still have the game (I've got some), but it is also very space consuming.....I almost got divorced over Advanced Third Reich. [X(]
Honestly, if VASSAL can allow you to play by E-mail, it shouldnt be that hard to add a map and counters....or should it? AI (or PO) would be quite a bit tougher, as many designers will attest to.[8|]
Tom OC
That's nice if you still have the game (I've got some), but it is also very space consuming.....I almost got divorced over Advanced Third Reich. [X(]
Honestly, if VASSAL can allow you to play by E-mail, it shouldnt be that hard to add a map and counters....or should it? AI (or PO) would be quite a bit tougher, as many designers will attest to.[8|]
Tom OC
"Ideological conviction will trump logistics, numbers, and firepower every time"
J. Stalin, 1936-1941...A. Hitler, 1933-1945. W. Churchill (very rarely, and usually in North Africa). F. D. Roosvelt (smart enough to let the generals run the war).
J. Stalin, 1936-1941...A. Hitler, 1933-1945. W. Churchill (very rarely, and usually in North Africa). F. D. Roosvelt (smart enough to let the generals run the war).
RE: Old games we wish were remade..or converted to
You probably mean Empire Deluxe? Which itself is remake of Empire. There are already few remakes, some you can find from behind the link, and elsewhere some prettier ones which cost money.ORIGINAL: pad152
Some old Computer Games that deserve a remake.
...
Empires Deluxe
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.
MekWars
MekWars
-
Les_the_Sarge_9_1
- Posts: 3943
- Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 10:00 am
RE: Old games we wish were remade..or converted to
ORIGINAL: pad152
ASL - you got to admit this one had two of the greatest failures ever [:D] (Original Close Combat & Combat Mission) both started out as a computer port of ASL.
Some old Computer Games that deserve a remake.
Action Stations
Great Naval Battles (without control over gun stations, just targeting orders)
Computer Air Combat - one of the first games to ever have an expansion pack (Joe Billings, hint!)
Empires Deluxe
"ASL - you got to admit this one had two of the greatest failures ever [:D] (Original Close Combat & Combat Mission) both started out as a computer port of ASL."
To me, port to computer means exactly that, the ACTUAL game on a computer. Not an emulation, or "close approximation".
And as SL/ASL is a 2d look down from above, turn based, hex using board game, the only way it's going to "be" SL/ASL, is if it is also 2d look down from above, turn based, and hex using.
Close Combat and Combat Mission are of course good programs (heck like there's any need for me to reinforce that opinion eh hehe).
The closest that anyone has ever gotten to putting SL/ASL onto computer as a computer game is Steel Panthers. You are of course capable of disagreeing, but I would point you to the core program from Matrix Games, and direct you to the Scenario for The Guards Counter Attack just to illustrate. It is not just an approximation, it truely looks like the actual board game (isn't of course).
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
RE: Old games we wish were remade..or converted to
I would love to see a computer version of SSI's "Sword & Sorcery". AH's Squad Leader and Ceasar at Alesia would be nice also. I really don't understand why ancients games aren't as popular they had so much more in the way of different weapons, armors, animals and tactics. A turn based Rome Total War game in the Crown of Glory playstyle or For Liberty would be like the ultimate. (Spartan comes close, but, still has real time elements of battle).
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik!
and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?
- rhondabrwn
- Posts: 2570
- Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:47 am
- Location: Snowflake, Arizona
RE: Old games we wish were remade..or converted to
ORIGINAL: ravinhood
I would love to see a computer version of SSI's "Sword & Sorcery". AH's Squad Leader and Ceasar at Alesia would be nice also. I really don't understand why ancients games aren't as popular they had so much more in the way of different weapons, armors, animals and tactics. A turn based Rome Total War game in the Crown of Glory playstyle or For Liberty would be like the ultimate. (Spartan comes close, but, still has real time elements of battle).
I agree.
The "For Liberty" engine would be especially good for ancients, I think. The Crown of Glory approach also seems to have a lot of diversification possibilities.
These are good times for gamers, lots of different choices in style and gameplay.
Love & Peace,
Far Dareis Mai
My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics
Far Dareis Mai
My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics
RE: Old games we wish were remade..or converted to
Speaking of setting up maps and counters... some sick (very sick) side of me wants to drag out the old GDW Europa maps and set them up.... just to show the kids that dad is/was cool (oops, I meant "a dork") at one time.
My wife would leave me...
Well, somethings are best shared with others with the same illness...
Aloid
My wife would leave me...
Well, somethings are best shared with others with the same illness...
Aloid
RE: Old games we wish were remade..or converted to
There is something about all those counters and dice rolls.
i remember playing Midway on two Huge maps that were basically just blue squares as everything was recorded on pads for hidden movement.
Two huge squares on the floor and around the room task force displays topped with counter stacks on all the windows and dressers...>
Very dated now...
I have pretty much sold most of my 200+ game collection off now , what's interesting is what you keep.
All the super games like Europa And UGG ,SFB, 007 went {except WIF} and just the 'well I might possibly play that stays { like B17}.'
i remember playing Midway on two Huge maps that were basically just blue squares as everything was recorded on pads for hidden movement.
Two huge squares on the floor and around the room task force displays topped with counter stacks on all the windows and dressers...>
Very dated now...
I have pretty much sold most of my 200+ game collection off now , what's interesting is what you keep.
All the super games like Europa And UGG ,SFB, 007 went {except WIF} and just the 'well I might possibly play that stays { like B17}.'
RE: Old games we wish were remade..or converted to
Computer Remakes I would like to see
Master of Magic
Master of Orion II (not III)
StarFlight 1 and II
Crush, Crumble, Chomp (The movie monster game which ran on an Apple IIe)
Stars!
Imperialism 1 and 2
Boardgame Conversions
Freedom in the Galaxy
War in the Ice
Battlefleet Mars
Master of Magic
Master of Orion II (not III)
StarFlight 1 and II
Crush, Crumble, Chomp (The movie monster game which ran on an Apple IIe)
Stars!
Imperialism 1 and 2
Boardgame Conversions
Freedom in the Galaxy
War in the Ice
Battlefleet Mars
Tacticon
What if there were no hypothetical situations?
What if there were no hypothetical situations?
- watchtower
- Posts: 845
- Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:32 pm
- Location: Republic of Kilburn. London UK
RE: Old games we wish were remade..or converted to
g
Been there, done that and got the iron man tee-shirt [:D]
Because there is a big,big fan base - buy the code, make a new world and bingo = bigish bucks. A game I have played to death and still go back to!!
Some half decent fanboy stuff done - but a proper makeover on the existing JA2 engine might rock big time.
ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen
Why Matrix should do anything with it? Just walk to shop and buy it (I got JA2 Gold Pack like that just couple months ago). And if you don't find it from shop's shelf, take a look at eBay and other similar sites.ORIGINAL: watchtower
Jagged Alliance - one of the best games/series ever........MATRIX, this looks like it's at a dead end.. pick it up!!!!!!!!
Been there, done that and got the iron man tee-shirt [:D]
Because there is a big,big fan base - buy the code, make a new world and bingo = bigish bucks. A game I have played to death and still go back to!!
Some half decent fanboy stuff done - but a proper makeover on the existing JA2 engine might rock big time.
RE: Old games we wish were remade..or converted to
http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/jaggedalliance3d/
Looks like someone has taken up the JA 3d title from strategy first/.
Release date of 3rd 1/4 2006.
You never know .. It may soon be back !!
Looks like someone has taken up the JA 3d title from strategy first/.
Release date of 3rd 1/4 2006.
You never know .. It may soon be back !!
RE: Old games we wish were remade..or converted to
Here is mod-upgreade for JA2 - http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ub ... =cfrm&c=11 - have fun with it. Doent matter if you are fan only, coder looking for oportunity, or never heard of original game before.
Do you chalenge me ?
http://czert1938.mybrute.com
Mod for one of best games ever made ?
http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ub ... b=cfrm&c=1
Great space shooter.
http://www.neurohack.com/transcendence/index.html
http://czert1938.mybrute.com
Mod for one of best games ever made ?
http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ub ... b=cfrm&c=1
Great space shooter.
http://www.neurohack.com/transcendence/index.html
RE: Old games we wish were remade..or converted to
+1 for Junta,
and will add
-Britannia
Both are great boardgames, hard to see an AI capable of the backstabbing abilities needed for Junta though [:D]
Terje
and will add
-Britannia
Both are great boardgames, hard to see an AI capable of the backstabbing abilities needed for Junta though [:D]
Terje
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen
("She is to be torpedoed!")
("She is to be torpedoed!")
RE: Old games we wish were remade..or converted to
I am not sure if they could ever capture the fun of the original but for computer games M.U.L.E.

RE: Old games we wish were remade..or converted to
ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen
You probably mean Empire Deluxe? Which itself is remake of Empire. There are already few remakes, some you can find from behind the link, and elsewhere some prettier ones which cost money.ORIGINAL: pad152
Some old Computer Games that deserve a remake.
...
Empires Deluxe
A new game,...which has its own post here somewhere, that is very similiar to empire deluxe,....main difference is it uses the WEGO system----- is Empires of Steel----
http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?pa ... &Itemid=26
RE: Old games we wish were remade..or converted to
Emperor of the Fading Suns. I've heard so many good things about this one, and would really love to see an update/remake.
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
RE: Old games we wish were remade..or converted to
I am perhaps blinded by nostalgia. But I rather enjoyed Civil War General I & II quite a lot.
Shame Sierra went into such financial trouble near the end and had to cancel the third edition.
Shame Sierra went into such financial trouble near the end and had to cancel the third edition.


King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.
RE: Old games we wish were remade..or converted to
ORIGINAL: terje439
+1 for Junta,
and will add
-Britannia
Both are great boardgames, hard to see an AI capable of the backstabbing abilities needed for Junta though [:D]
Terje
Oh yes, Britannia... *sigh*... the memories.
Junta sounds like fun, too.
RE: Old games we wish were remade..or converted to
there are three games on my list.One remade and two that need to be made.
X-com needs to be remade.I dont mean rethought. I mean remade.Keep it exactly as is but improve AI and visuals. Dont try to make it better.You wont succeed.
Campaign for North Africa The old SPI monster. With computers these days, all the little stuff that took extra hours to figure out is still there but not smacking you upside the head.
Russian Front The AH game..My favorite game of all time. I would just extend it to 1945.
[/align]
X-com needs to be remade.I dont mean rethought. I mean remade.Keep it exactly as is but improve AI and visuals. Dont try to make it better.You wont succeed.
Campaign for North Africa The old SPI monster. With computers these days, all the little stuff that took extra hours to figure out is still there but not smacking you upside the head.
Russian Front The AH game..My favorite game of all time. I would just extend it to 1945.
[/align]
My life is complete. 1000 Matrix posts.....
RE: Old games we wish were remade..or converted to
I'd still like to see Advanced Third Reich... I almost got divorced over Advanced Third Reich... AI (or PO) would be quite a bit tougher, as many designers will attest to.
Tom, you're in luck. Like you, I enjoyed the 3R/A3R boardgame, was disappointed with the Computer 3R version, and set off to make my own adaptation mod using the Strategic Command editor. The upcoming Strategic Command WWII Global Conflict version by Battlefront.com is better than ever, and I will be posting my A3R mod shortly after release. AI scripting has been a challenge, but I've been at it for several years now and I'm very pleased with the latest results. Challenging AI for both Axis and Allies for entire 1939 to 1945 period. 1939, 1941, 1942 and 1944 campaigns now developed. Teaser screenshot below for 1942 on the Russian Front. More details to follow on the Battlefront forums. [8D]
I too wish other old board games were remade for the computer, with decent AI and computer opponents. This is tough and requires a LOT of patience and dedication. Or insanity, I'm not sure which. [;)]

- Attachments
-
- A3R1942.jpg (216.57 KiB) Viewed 468 times
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Empires in Arms Developer








