Old games we wish were remade..or converted to

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

User avatar
TOCarroll
Posts: 215
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:36 pm
Location: College Station, Texas

RE: Old games we wish were remade..or converted to

Post by TOCarroll »

I'd still like to see Advanced Third Reich, ASL, or other Avalon-Hill or SPI "Classics" (Drive on Stalingrad, Panzergruppe Guderian, Sniper, ect) It is myunderstanding that VASSAL does not have an AI, and that you are required to use the boardgame along with the computer.

That's nice if you still have the game (I've got some), but it is also very space consuming.....I almost got divorced over Advanced Third Reich. [X(]

Honestly, if VASSAL can allow you to play by E-mail, it shouldnt be that hard to add a map and counters....or should it? AI (or PO) would be quite a bit tougher, as many designers will attest to.[8|]

Tom OC
"Ideological conviction will trump logistics, numbers, and firepower every time"
J. Stalin, 1936-1941...A. Hitler, 1933-1945. W. Churchill (very rarely, and usually in North Africa). F. D. Roosvelt (smart enough to let the generals run the war).
Kuokkanen
Posts: 3752
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:16 pm

RE: Old games we wish were remade..or converted to

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: pad152

Some old Computer Games that deserve a remake.
...
Empires Deluxe
You probably mean Empire Deluxe? Which itself is remake of Empire. There are already few remakes, some you can find from behind the link, and elsewhere some prettier ones which cost money.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Posts: 3943
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 10:00 am

RE: Old games we wish were remade..or converted to

Post by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 »

ORIGINAL: pad152

ASL - you got to admit this one had two of the greatest failures ever [:D] (Original Close Combat & Combat Mission) both started out as a computer port of ASL.

Some old Computer Games that deserve a remake.

Action Stations
Great Naval Battles (without control over gun stations, just targeting orders)
Computer Air Combat - one of the first games to ever have an expansion pack (Joe Billings, hint!)
Empires Deluxe


"ASL - you got to admit this one had two of the greatest failures ever [:D] (Original Close Combat & Combat Mission) both started out as a computer port of ASL."

:) I realise you're being sarcastic of course hehe. But it gets annoying seeing people claim that either of Close Combat or Combat Mission were ever SL/ASL ported to computer. And yes guys, I KNOW who was behind those two games, and their view of the reasons why.

To me, port to computer means exactly that, the ACTUAL game on a computer. Not an emulation, or "close approximation".
And as SL/ASL is a 2d look down from above, turn based, hex using board game, the only way it's going to "be" SL/ASL, is if it is also 2d look down from above, turn based, and hex using.

Close Combat and Combat Mission are of course good programs (heck like there's any need for me to reinforce that opinion eh hehe).

The closest that anyone has ever gotten to putting SL/ASL onto computer as a computer game is Steel Panthers. You are of course capable of disagreeing, but I would point you to the core program from Matrix Games, and direct you to the Scenario for The Guards Counter Attack just to illustrate. It is not just an approximation, it truely looks like the actual board game (isn't of course).
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
User avatar
ravinhood
Posts: 3829
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:26 am

RE: Old games we wish were remade..or converted to

Post by ravinhood »

I would love to see a computer version of SSI's "Sword & Sorcery". AH's Squad Leader and Ceasar at Alesia would be nice also. I really don't understand why ancients games aren't as popular they had so much more in the way of different weapons, armors, animals and tactics. A turn based Rome Total War game in the Crown of Glory playstyle or For Liberty would be like the ultimate. (Spartan comes close, but, still has real time elements of battle).
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?


User avatar
rhondabrwn
Posts: 2570
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:47 am
Location: Snowflake, Arizona

RE: Old games we wish were remade..or converted to

Post by rhondabrwn »

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

I would love to see a computer version of SSI's "Sword & Sorcery". AH's Squad Leader and Ceasar at Alesia would be nice also. I really don't understand why ancients games aren't as popular they had so much more in the way of different weapons, armors, animals and tactics. A turn based Rome Total War game in the Crown of Glory playstyle or For Liberty would be like the ultimate. (Spartan comes close, but, still has real time elements of battle).

I agree.

The "For Liberty" engine would be especially good for ancients, I think. The Crown of Glory approach also seems to have a lot of diversification possibilities.

These are good times for gamers, lots of different choices in style and gameplay.
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
User avatar
Aloid
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Simi "touchme feelme" Valley

RE: Old games we wish were remade..or converted to

Post by Aloid »

Speaking of setting up maps and counters... some sick (very sick) side of me wants to drag out the old GDW Europa maps and set them up.... just to show the kids that dad is/was cool (oops, I meant "a dork") at one time.

My wife would leave me...

Well, somethings are best shared with others with the same illness... :)

Aloid
ezzler
Posts: 864
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:44 pm

RE: Old games we wish were remade..or converted to

Post by ezzler »

There is something about all those counters and dice rolls.
i remember playing Midway on two Huge maps that were basically just blue squares as everything was recorded on pads for hidden movement.
Two huge squares on the floor and around the room task force displays topped with counter stacks on all the windows and dressers...>
Very dated now...

I have pretty much sold most of my 200+ game collection off now , what's interesting is what you keep.
All the super games like Europa And UGG ,SFB, 007 went {except WIF} and just the 'well I might possibly play that stays { like B17}.'
User avatar
pauk
Posts: 4156
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Zagreb,Croatia

RE: Old games we wish were remade..or converted to

Post by pauk »

Hanibal
Image
User avatar
tacticon
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2002 11:29 pm
Location: Arizona
Contact:

RE: Old games we wish were remade..or converted to

Post by tacticon »

Computer Remakes I would like to see
Master of Magic
Master of Orion II (not III)
StarFlight 1 and II
Crush, Crumble, Chomp (The movie monster game which ran on an Apple IIe)
Stars!
Imperialism 1 and 2

Boardgame Conversions
Freedom in the Galaxy
War in the Ice
Battlefleet Mars
Tacticon

What if there were no hypothetical situations?
User avatar
watchtower
Posts: 845
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:32 pm
Location: Republic of Kilburn. London UK

RE: Old games we wish were remade..or converted to

Post by watchtower »

g
ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen
ORIGINAL: watchtower

Jagged Alliance - one of the best games/series ever........MATRIX, this looks like it's at a dead end.. pick it up!!!!!!!!
Why Matrix should do anything with it? Just walk to shop and buy it (I got JA2 Gold Pack like that just couple months ago). And if you don't find it from shop's shelf, take a look at eBay and other similar sites.

Been there, done that and got the iron man tee-shirt [:D]

Because there is a big,big fan base - buy the code, make a new world and bingo = bigish bucks. A game I have played to death and still go back to!!

Some half decent fanboy stuff done - but a proper makeover on the existing JA2 engine might rock big time.
Image

ezzler
Posts: 864
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:44 pm

RE: Old games we wish were remade..or converted to

Post by ezzler »

http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/jaggedalliance3d/
 
Looks like someone has taken up the JA 3d title from strategy first/.
Release date of 3rd 1/4 2006.
 
You never know .. It may soon be back !!
Czert3
Posts: 255
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:56 pm

RE: Old games we wish were remade..or converted to

Post by Czert3 »

Here is mod-upgreade for JA2 - http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ub ... =cfrm&c=11 - have fun with it. Doent matter if you are fan only, coder looking for oportunity, or never heard of original game before.
User avatar
terje439
Posts: 6603
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:01 pm

RE: Old games we wish were remade..or converted to

Post by terje439 »

+1 for Junta,
and will add
-Britannia

Both are great boardgames, hard to see an AI capable of the backstabbing abilities needed for Junta though [:D]

Terje
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
Emobama
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:38 pm

RE: Old games we wish were remade..or converted to

Post by Emobama »

I am not sure if they could ever capture the fun of the original but for computer games M.U.L.E.
Image
Scott_WAR
Posts: 1020
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:27 pm

RE: Old games we wish were remade..or converted to

Post by Scott_WAR »

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen
ORIGINAL: pad152

Some old Computer Games that deserve a remake.
...
Empires Deluxe
You probably mean Empire Deluxe? Which itself is remake of Empire. There are already few remakes, some you can find from behind the link, and elsewhere some prettier ones which cost money.


A new game,...which has its own post here somewhere, that is very similiar to empire deluxe,....main difference is it uses the WEGO system----- is Empires of Steel----

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?pa ... &Itemid=26
martok
Posts: 845
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:44 am

RE: Old games we wish were remade..or converted to

Post by martok »

Emperor of the Fading Suns. I've heard so many good things about this one, and would really love to see an update/remake.

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

User avatar
Obsolete
Posts: 1388
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:52 pm

RE: Old games we wish were remade..or converted to

Post by Obsolete »

I am perhaps blinded by nostalgia.  But I rather enjoyed Civil War General I & II quite a lot.

Shame Sierra went into such financial trouble near the end and had to cancel the third edition.

Image
Image
King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.
SireChaos
Posts: 710
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:11 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

RE: Old games we wish were remade..or converted to

Post by SireChaos »

ORIGINAL: terje439

+1 for Junta,
and will add
-Britannia

Both are great boardgames, hard to see an AI capable of the backstabbing abilities needed for Junta though [:D]

Terje

Oh yes, Britannia... *sigh*... the memories.

Junta sounds like fun, too.
Phatguy
Posts: 1348
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:08 pm
Location: Buffalo,ny

RE: Old games we wish were remade..or converted to

Post by Phatguy »

there are three games on my list.One remade and two  that need to be made.

X-com needs to be remade.I dont mean rethought. I mean remade.Keep it exactly as is but improve AI and visuals. Dont try to make it better.You wont succeed.

Campaign for North Africa The old SPI monster. With computers these days, all the little stuff that took extra hours to figure out is still there but not smacking you upside the head.

Russian Front The AH  game..My favorite game of all time. I would just extend it to 1945.
[/align]
My life is complete. 1000 Matrix posts.....
pzgndr
Posts: 3812
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:51 am
Location: Delaware

RE: Old games we wish were remade..or converted to

Post by pzgndr »

I'd still like to see Advanced Third Reich... I almost got divorced over Advanced Third Reich... AI (or PO) would be quite a bit tougher, as many designers will attest to.

Tom, you're in luck. Like you, I enjoyed the 3R/A3R boardgame, was disappointed with the Computer 3R version, and set off to make my own adaptation mod using the Strategic Command editor. The upcoming Strategic Command WWII Global Conflict version by Battlefront.com is better than ever, and I will be posting my A3R mod shortly after release. AI scripting has been a challenge, but I've been at it for several years now and I'm very pleased with the latest results. Challenging AI for both Axis and Allies for entire 1939 to 1945 period. 1939, 1941, 1942 and 1944 campaigns now developed. Teaser screenshot below for 1942 on the Russian Front. More details to follow on the Battlefront forums. [8D]

I too wish other old board games were remade for the computer, with decent AI and computer opponents. This is tough and requires a LOT of patience and dedication. Or insanity, I'm not sure which. [;)]

Image
Attachments
A3R1942.jpg
A3R1942.jpg (216.57 KiB) Viewed 471 times
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”