Fabertong vs Speedy: The view from the Pole

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
fabertong
Posts: 4546
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:01 am
Location: Bristol, England, U.K.

RE: About ouch........

Post by fabertong »

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock
ORIGINAL: fabertong

I do apologize for being a moaning old penguin.......but I feel better having got that off my chest....the talking cure ...Freud called it..........

Can't blame you in the least for being unhappy with those results. How far away did you spot Speedy coming in?
3 Turns...Capt.......so I had time and the force(I thought).......let me see how does that song go Kay-sara-sara..........
User avatar
BrucePowers
Posts: 12090
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:13 pm

RE: About ouch........

Post by BrucePowers »

I think a good stiff drink is in order.
For what we are about to receive, may we be truly thankful.

Lieutenant Bush - Captain Horatio Hornblower by C S Forester
User avatar
denisonh
Posts: 2083
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Upstate SC

RE: About ouch........

Post by denisonh »

Several......
ORIGINAL: BrucePowers

I think a good stiff drink is in order.
"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC
User avatar
rtrapasso
Posts: 22655
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:31 am

RE: About ouch........

Post by rtrapasso »

faber has indicated he is partial to wines... fortunately, the Aussies make a special wines just for penguins...

Image
Attachments
Lilpenguinwine.jpg
Lilpenguinwine.jpg (127.97 KiB) Viewed 230 times
User avatar
denisonh
Posts: 2083
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Upstate SC

RE: About ouch........

Post by denisonh »

Drink enough and it would be a good movie..... "Stagger of the Penguins"
ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

faber has indicated he is partial to wines... fortunately, the Aussies make a special wines just for penguins...

Image
"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC
User avatar
rtrapasso
Posts: 22655
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:31 am

RE: About ouch........

Post by rtrapasso »

Danny Devito (aka "the Penguin") just turned up drunk on a talk show after having "a few too many with a friend" ... i wonder who the friend could have possibly been...[:'(]
User avatar
fabertong
Posts: 4546
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:01 am
Location: Bristol, England, U.K.

RE: About ouch........

Post by fabertong »

Danny could never hold his drink......I told him he had enough...but would he listen.........

Just got an e-mail from Speedy.....I think he thought I was giving up.......more recovering from shock....as I have returned the turn to him......1944 for Japan is hard enough....without having to fight the game engine as well as a fine opponent.....but I'll see this fight to it's bloody conclusion........
User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: About ouch........

Post by DuckofTindalos »

It DID look like he thought that. Sadly underestimating Penguin staying power...
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
User avatar
fabertong
Posts: 4546
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:01 am
Location: Bristol, England, U.K.

RE: About ouch........

Post by fabertong »

April 5th 1944.......

Believe it or not...not much happened as the DS was socked in by bad weather.........
User avatar
rtrapasso
Posts: 22655
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:31 am

RE: About ouch........

Post by rtrapasso »

Since you mentioned "Shine on you crazy diamond" on The Thread...

Remember when it was young,
Your Empire of Sun?
Shine on you crazy penguin.
Now there's a look in your eyes,
Like black holes in the sky.
Shine on you crazy penguin.
You were caught on the crossfire
Of Corsairs and Hellcats,
Blown on the steel breeze.
Come on you target for faraway carriers,
Come on commander, you legend, you martyr, and shine!

You reached for the TFs too soon,
You shot for the moon.
Shine on you crazy penguin.
Threatened by the cruisers at night,
And exposed in the light.
Shine on you crazy penguin.
Well you wore out your aircraft
With random precision,
Rode on the steel breeze.
“Come on” said Raver, "you seer of victory,
Come on you wadler, you flyer, you swimmer, and shine!"



Image
Attachments
Shine on y.. penguin.jpg
Shine on y.. penguin.jpg (43.2 KiB) Viewed 230 times
User avatar
fabertong
Posts: 4546
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:01 am
Location: Bristol, England, U.K.

RE: About ouch........

Post by fabertong »

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

Since you mentioned "Shine on you crazy diamond" on The Thread...

Remember when it was young,
Your Empire of Sun?
Shine on you crazy penguin.
Now there's a look in your eyes,
Like black holes in the sky.
Shine on you crazy penguin.
You were caught on the crossfire
Of Corsairs and Hellcats,
Blown on the steel breeze.
Come on you target for faraway carriers,
Come on commander, you legend, you martyr, and shine!

You reached for the TFs too soon,
You shot for the moon.
Shine on you crazy penguin.
Threatened by the cruisers at night,
And exposed in the light.
Shine on you crazy penguin.
Well you wore out your aircraft
With random precision,
Rode on the steel breeze.
“Come on” said Raver, "you seer of victory,
Come on you wadler, you flyer, you swimmer, and shine!"



Image
[:D][:D][:D][:D].....Many thanks Robert.....it almost makes the loss of 750 aircraft in one day seem worthwhile........
User avatar
fabertong
Posts: 4546
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:01 am
Location: Bristol, England, U.K.

RE: About ouch........

Post by fabertong »

Well in the last 2 turns I've lost in the region of 25 ships a turn as Speedy's Death Star stays by the HI...........so now Operation ' Death or Glory' is underway.....I'm commiting all my remaining carriers....and all airgroups left in the HI....if he stays put one more turn then one H*ll of a fight will ensue........I expect to achieve nothing, other than losing all my battle fleet.......also a surface TF of 2CAs and escorts is trying to close on him for a night action....it is a futile gesture........but all I have left is futility............
User avatar
fabertong
Posts: 4546
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:01 am
Location: Bristol, England, U.K.

RE: About ouch........

Post by fabertong »

Well Speedy moved back to the East sinking ships as he went.......another 25 or so and another 200 aircraft..........but operation 'Death or Glory' will continue....I'm out tonight with friends....and will do the turn in the morning....but I think I will invade Russia to speed things along.........let see how much pain I can take in the next 3-5 months.......my goal is to end the war by August........
User avatar
rtrapasso
Posts: 22655
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:31 am

RE: About ouch........

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: fabertong

Well Speedy moved back to the East sinking ships as he went.......another 25 or so and another 200 aircraft..........but operation 'Death or Glory' will continue....I'm out tonight with friends....and will do the turn in the morning....but I think I will invade Russia to speed things along.........let see how much pain I can take in the next 3-5 months.......my goal is to end the war by August........


[:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] yikes!!! [X(] [:D]
User avatar
Capt. Harlock
Posts: 5379
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Speedy's CV's

Post by Capt. Harlock »

ORIGINAL: fabertong

Well Speedy moved back to the East sinking ships as he went.......another 25 or so and another 200 aircraft..........but operation 'Death or Glory' will continue....
IMHO the way to deal with a Death Star off of one's shores is to bleed it for several days with fighter sweeps based around a few sturdy bombers. (Perhaps Helens for the Japanese, since they have no B-17's.) It's painful, but land-based air can re-stock fighters, while a CV force at sea can't -- unless he's ready to bring in support ships, and I don't think he is. Once the uber-CAP has been thinned, that's the time to bring in the massive coordinated strikes from friendly CV's and LBA. Do you have any Kamikaze squadrons available?
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
User avatar
BrucePowers
Posts: 12090
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:13 pm

RE: Speedy's CV's

Post by BrucePowers »

Go talk to Terminus he invaded Russia in our game on Jan 22, 1942 that was 7 days ago. Maybe he can give you some hints[:D]
For what we are about to receive, may we be truly thankful.

Lieutenant Bush - Captain Horatio Hornblower by C S Forester
User avatar
fabertong
Posts: 4546
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:01 am
Location: Bristol, England, U.K.

RE: Speedy's CV's

Post by fabertong »

Hi Capt..........

I'm not sure you can get past the UBER CAP of the Death Star.....unlike the Brit. carriers....who with 30-40 corsairs.....shot down over 600 of my aircraft before I could wear them down.......the DS flys on average 200 Hellcats...last turn I flew 6 Naval attack missions.......and by the end of the last one the UBER CAP was still flying 160 Hellcats........in the last four turns I've lost 1,500 aircraft attacking the DS.....not one airplane has got through to launch one torp or drop one bomb....so the A2A routine is not exactly working.......hence my frustration and seems to be a very 'gamey' move of an extended raid on Tokyo.........and no....I have no Kamikaze available.....as they haven't been triggered.......

Bruce .......my invasion of Russia......is only to end the war quicker...as I've stripped the Kwan. army bare to fuel China/Burma.......then perhaps I'll start a NIK mod game.......or put this game away for a while.......
User avatar
Miller
Posts: 2227
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:14 am
Location: Ashington, England.

RE: Speedy's CV's

Post by Miller »

Its a shame the stock A2A model ruins any hope for IJN success later in the war.
User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: Speedy's CV's

Post by DuckofTindalos »

Yeah, it's not like REALITY had anything to do with it...[8|]
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
User avatar
Miller
Posts: 2227
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:14 am
Location: Ashington, England.

RE: Speedy's CV's

Post by Miller »

I think reality at that stage of the war would be 70-80% losses and at least a few a/c getting through to drop ordinance, as oppossed to 99% losses and nothing being dropped.
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”