3 Turns...Capt.......so I had time and the force(I thought).......let me see how does that song go Kay-sara-sara..........ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock
ORIGINAL: fabertong
I do apologize for being a moaning old penguin.......but I feel better having got that off my chest....the talking cure ...Freud called it..........
Can't blame you in the least for being unhappy with those results. How far away did you spot Speedy coming in?
Fabertong vs Speedy: The view from the Pole
Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami
RE: About ouch........
- BrucePowers
- Posts: 12090
- Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:13 pm
RE: About ouch........
I think a good stiff drink is in order.
For what we are about to receive, may we be truly thankful.
Lieutenant Bush - Captain Horatio Hornblower by C S Forester
Lieutenant Bush - Captain Horatio Hornblower by C S Forester
RE: About ouch........
Several......
ORIGINAL: BrucePowers
I think a good stiff drink is in order.
"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC
RE: About ouch........
faber has indicated he is partial to wines... fortunately, the Aussies make a special wines just for penguins...


- Attachments
-
- Lilpenguinwine.jpg (127.97 KiB) Viewed 229 times
RE: About ouch........
Drink enough and it would be a good movie..... "Stagger of the Penguins"
ORIGINAL: rtrapasso
faber has indicated he is partial to wines... fortunately, the Aussies make a special wines just for penguins...
![]()
"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC
RE: About ouch........
Danny Devito (aka "the Penguin") just turned up drunk on a talk show after having "a few too many with a friend" ... i wonder who the friend could have possibly been...[:'(]
RE: About ouch........
Danny could never hold his drink......I told him he had enough...but would he listen.........
Just got an e-mail from Speedy.....I think he thought I was giving up.......more recovering from shock....as I have returned the turn to him......1944 for Japan is hard enough....without having to fight the game engine as well as a fine opponent.....but I'll see this fight to it's bloody conclusion........
Just got an e-mail from Speedy.....I think he thought I was giving up.......more recovering from shock....as I have returned the turn to him......1944 for Japan is hard enough....without having to fight the game engine as well as a fine opponent.....but I'll see this fight to it's bloody conclusion........
- DuckofTindalos
- Posts: 39781
- Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
- Location: Denmark
RE: About ouch........
It DID look like he thought that. Sadly underestimating Penguin staying power...
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
RE: About ouch........
April 5th 1944.......
Believe it or not...not much happened as the DS was socked in by bad weather.........
Believe it or not...not much happened as the DS was socked in by bad weather.........
RE: About ouch........
Since you mentioned "Shine on you crazy diamond" on The Thread...
Remember when it was young,
Your Empire of Sun?
Shine on you crazy penguin.
Now there's a look in your eyes,
Like black holes in the sky.
Shine on you crazy penguin.
You were caught on the crossfire
Of Corsairs and Hellcats,
Blown on the steel breeze.
Come on you target for faraway carriers,
Come on commander, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the TFs too soon,
You shot for the moon.
Shine on you crazy penguin.
Threatened by the cruisers at night,
And exposed in the light.
Shine on you crazy penguin.
Well you wore out your aircraft
With random precision,
Rode on the steel breeze.
“Come on” said Raver, "you seer of victory,
Come on you wadler, you flyer, you swimmer, and shine!"

Remember when it was young,
Your Empire of Sun?
Shine on you crazy penguin.
Now there's a look in your eyes,
Like black holes in the sky.
Shine on you crazy penguin.
You were caught on the crossfire
Of Corsairs and Hellcats,
Blown on the steel breeze.
Come on you target for faraway carriers,
Come on commander, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the TFs too soon,
You shot for the moon.
Shine on you crazy penguin.
Threatened by the cruisers at night,
And exposed in the light.
Shine on you crazy penguin.
Well you wore out your aircraft
With random precision,
Rode on the steel breeze.
“Come on” said Raver, "you seer of victory,
Come on you wadler, you flyer, you swimmer, and shine!"

- Attachments
-
- Shine on y.. penguin.jpg (43.2 KiB) Viewed 229 times
RE: About ouch........
[:D][:D][:D][:D].....Many thanks Robert.....it almost makes the loss of 750 aircraft in one day seem worthwhile........ORIGINAL: rtrapasso
Since you mentioned "Shine on you crazy diamond" on The Thread...
Remember when it was young,
Your Empire of Sun?
Shine on you crazy penguin.
Now there's a look in your eyes,
Like black holes in the sky.
Shine on you crazy penguin.
You were caught on the crossfire
Of Corsairs and Hellcats,
Blown on the steel breeze.
Come on you target for faraway carriers,
Come on commander, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the TFs too soon,
You shot for the moon.
Shine on you crazy penguin.
Threatened by the cruisers at night,
And exposed in the light.
Shine on you crazy penguin.
Well you wore out your aircraft
With random precision,
Rode on the steel breeze.
“Come on” said Raver, "you seer of victory,
Come on you wadler, you flyer, you swimmer, and shine!"
![]()
RE: About ouch........
Well in the last 2 turns I've lost in the region of 25 ships a turn as Speedy's Death Star stays by the HI...........so now Operation ' Death or Glory' is underway.....I'm commiting all my remaining carriers....and all airgroups left in the HI....if he stays put one more turn then one H*ll of a fight will ensue........I expect to achieve nothing, other than losing all my battle fleet.......also a surface TF of 2CAs and escorts is trying to close on him for a night action....it is a futile gesture........but all I have left is futility............
RE: About ouch........
Well Speedy moved back to the East sinking ships as he went.......another 25 or so and another 200 aircraft..........but operation 'Death or Glory' will continue....I'm out tonight with friends....and will do the turn in the morning....but I think I will invade Russia to speed things along.........let see how much pain I can take in the next 3-5 months.......my goal is to end the war by August........
RE: About ouch........
ORIGINAL: fabertong
Well Speedy moved back to the East sinking ships as he went.......another 25 or so and another 200 aircraft..........but operation 'Death or Glory' will continue....I'm out tonight with friends....and will do the turn in the morning....but I think I will invade Russia to speed things along.........let see how much pain I can take in the next 3-5 months.......my goal is to end the war by August........
[:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] yikes!!! [X(] [:D]
- Capt. Harlock
- Posts: 5379
- Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2001 8:00 am
- Location: Los Angeles
- Contact:
Speedy's CV's
IMHO the way to deal with a Death Star off of one's shores is to bleed it for several days with fighter sweeps based around a few sturdy bombers. (Perhaps Helens for the Japanese, since they have no B-17's.) It's painful, but land-based air can re-stock fighters, while a CV force at sea can't -- unless he's ready to bring in support ships, and I don't think he is. Once the uber-CAP has been thinned, that's the time to bring in the massive coordinated strikes from friendly CV's and LBA. Do you have any Kamikaze squadrons available?ORIGINAL: fabertong
Well Speedy moved back to the East sinking ships as he went.......another 25 or so and another 200 aircraft..........but operation 'Death or Glory' will continue....
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?
--Victor Hugo
--Victor Hugo
- BrucePowers
- Posts: 12090
- Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:13 pm
RE: Speedy's CV's
Go talk to Terminus he invaded Russia in our game on Jan 22, 1942 that was 7 days ago. Maybe he can give you some hints[:D]
For what we are about to receive, may we be truly thankful.
Lieutenant Bush - Captain Horatio Hornblower by C S Forester
Lieutenant Bush - Captain Horatio Hornblower by C S Forester
RE: Speedy's CV's
Hi Capt..........
I'm not sure you can get past the UBER CAP of the Death Star.....unlike the Brit. carriers....who with 30-40 corsairs.....shot down over 600 of my aircraft before I could wear them down.......the DS flys on average 200 Hellcats...last turn I flew 6 Naval attack missions.......and by the end of the last one the UBER CAP was still flying 160 Hellcats........in the last four turns I've lost 1,500 aircraft attacking the DS.....not one airplane has got through to launch one torp or drop one bomb....so the A2A routine is not exactly working.......hence my frustration and seems to be a very 'gamey' move of an extended raid on Tokyo.........and no....I have no Kamikaze available.....as they haven't been triggered.......
Bruce .......my invasion of Russia......is only to end the war quicker...as I've stripped the Kwan. army bare to fuel China/Burma.......then perhaps I'll start a NIK mod game.......or put this game away for a while.......
I'm not sure you can get past the UBER CAP of the Death Star.....unlike the Brit. carriers....who with 30-40 corsairs.....shot down over 600 of my aircraft before I could wear them down.......the DS flys on average 200 Hellcats...last turn I flew 6 Naval attack missions.......and by the end of the last one the UBER CAP was still flying 160 Hellcats........in the last four turns I've lost 1,500 aircraft attacking the DS.....not one airplane has got through to launch one torp or drop one bomb....so the A2A routine is not exactly working.......hence my frustration and seems to be a very 'gamey' move of an extended raid on Tokyo.........and no....I have no Kamikaze available.....as they haven't been triggered.......
Bruce .......my invasion of Russia......is only to end the war quicker...as I've stripped the Kwan. army bare to fuel China/Burma.......then perhaps I'll start a NIK mod game.......or put this game away for a while.......
RE: Speedy's CV's
Its a shame the stock A2A model ruins any hope for IJN success later in the war.
- DuckofTindalos
- Posts: 39781
- Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
- Location: Denmark
RE: Speedy's CV's
Yeah, it's not like REALITY had anything to do with it...[8|]
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
RE: Speedy's CV's
I think reality at that stage of the war would be 70-80% losses and at least a few a/c getting through to drop ordinance, as oppossed to 99% losses and nothing being dropped.






