I suck

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

User avatar
Goblin
Posts: 5418
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2002 7:57 pm
Location: Erie,Pa. USA
Contact:

RE: I suck

Post by Goblin »

I use Paint to save them as JPEG's, and to add text occasionally. Did you mean something else?
 
 
Goblin
Kuokkanen
Posts: 3752
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:16 pm

RE: I suck

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: FlashfyreSP

Paint won't work for adjusting screenshots; you need a Photoshop-type program, one that can deal with photo files
Why this talk about photos?

Also, make sure your screencapture program is using the SPWAW palette of colors
UO Screenshot Utility don't seem to have any settings for that. I would gladly take recommendations for alternatives.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Riun T
Posts: 1848
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:22 pm

RE: I suck

Post by Riun T »

down load GIMP2 from internet its more direct and user friendly.
Kuokkanen
Posts: 3752
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:16 pm

RE: I suck

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Riun T

down load GIMP2 from internet
Why? I thought it is image processing software and nothing else.

Besides UOSU seems pretty straightforward but for some reason it don't work for me with SPWAW.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
User avatar
FlashfyreSP
Posts: 1192
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2002 9:39 am
Location: Combat Information Center
Contact:

RE: I suck

Post by FlashfyreSP »

JPEGs are photo-quality image files; for best results editing them, you should use photo image editing software.
If you are seeing color issues, then you don't have your screencapture settigs set right for the SPWAW color palette. How to do that depends on what screencapture program you use. I use HyperSnap and it works fine, except for a couple of colors that I have to adjust manually. I don't know how the other programs handle the palette; maybe the help guide that comes with them can be of some assistance?
ImageImage
Riun T
Posts: 1848
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:22 pm

RE: I suck

Post by Riun T »

I take the captures as bit-maps throu the UO,, that uses the paint format by default thruo uo to save them to a seperate file,, then I go into that file and open up the microsoft Paint type bit-maps with GIMP2 and export the converted to j-peg and reduced in quality screenshots back into saved as gimpfiled under 200K-bits for downloading into the forum. any questions!!??
Kuokkanen
Posts: 3752
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:16 pm

RE: I suck

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: FlashfyreSP

I use HyperSnap and it works fine, except for a couple of colors that I have to adjust manually.
Thank you! Now PLEASE tell me what colors you need adjust manually and how is it done?

[edit]...and how screenshot is taken with this program anyway?[/edit]

any questions!!??
When you open screenshot with Gimp, does it look like mine above?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
User avatar
FlashfyreSP
Posts: 1192
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2002 9:39 am
Location: Combat Information Center
Contact:

RE: I suck

Post by FlashfyreSP »

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen
ORIGINAL: FlashfyreSP

I use HyperSnap and it works fine, except for a couple of colors that I have to adjust manually.
Thank you! Now PLEASE tell me what colors you need adjust manually and how is it done?

[edit]...and how screenshot is taken with this program anyway?[/edit]

any questions!!??
When you open screenshot with Gimp, does it look like mine above?

HyperSnap allows you to set 'hotkeys' for different screen capture events. You can catch full-screen, window, cursor-only, user-defined regions, and more.

The colors that HyperSnap has difficulty with is one of the 'black' shades, and one of the 'grey' shades. There is a "color replacement" tool that lets you set the "old" color and the "new" color, and apply those changes to every capture.

Google HyperSnap and you should be able to find the website. It's shareware, though, unless you choose to buy the license.
ImageImage
Kuokkanen
Posts: 3752
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:16 pm

RE: I suck

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: FlashfyreSP

HyperSnap allows you to set 'hotkeys' for different screen capture events. You can catch full-screen, window, cursor-only, user-defined regions, and more.
So it seems. What of those you use with SPWAW?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
User avatar
FlashfyreSP
Posts: 1192
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2002 9:39 am
Location: Combat Information Center
Contact:

RE: I suck

Post by FlashfyreSP »

Only Fullscreen. SPWAW won't work in a window, and I can always crop the control panel area out of any image if need be. I set the 'hotkey' for the Fullscreen capture to the 'Home' key; the default one is the Ctrl+Shift+F one, which is pretty clunky when trying to take captures of the action.
ImageImage
Kuokkanen
Posts: 3752
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:16 pm

RE: I suck

Post by Kuokkanen »

I did just that (trying with default first), and there still isn't picture from game. I got some shots of this forum though. Am I missing some trick here?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
User avatar
FlashfyreSP
Posts: 1192
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2002 9:39 am
Location: Combat Information Center
Contact:

RE: I suck

Post by FlashfyreSP »

Check the path to where the captures are being saved. IIRC, the default for Hyper is your Documents folder. Also check what image format the program is using for the captures...
ImageImage
Kuokkanen
Posts: 3752
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:16 pm

RE: I suck

Post by Kuokkanen »

Roger that, enabled automatic save on file, its default directory is desktop and attempt to change directory caused deadlock, luckily only for that program. Anyways attempted screenshots of SPWAW again, but no new files on desktop. Outside of game program works as excepted. And I am already beyond frustration!
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
User avatar
FlashfyreSP
Posts: 1192
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2002 9:39 am
Location: Combat Information Center
Contact:

RE: I suck

Post by FlashfyreSP »

Using HyperSnap, correct?
Under Capture tab, select capture Settings.
Select the Quick Save tab.
Check the Autosave box at the top.
Midway down the window, there is an Auto Save To field. Click the Change button.
Navigate to the directory you want the images saved to and hit Save.

Images should now be saved to that directory.
ImageImage
Kuokkanen
Posts: 3752
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:16 pm

RE: I suck

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: FlashfyreSP

Using HyperSnap, correct?
Yeah
Under Capture tab, select capture Settings.
Done
Select the Quick Save tab.
Done
Check the Autosave box at the top.
Done
Midway down the window, there is an Auto Save To field. Click the Change button.
Default directory is desktop and attempt to change it freezes program
Images should now be saved to that directory.
They do and I've got screenshots of this forum there, but not of SPWAW!
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
User avatar
FlashfyreSP
Posts: 1192
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2002 9:39 am
Location: Combat Information Center
Contact:

RE: I suck

Post by FlashfyreSP »

I don't know what else to tell you. What 'hotkey' do you have for the Fullscreen capture setting? Make sure it's not one the SPWAW game uses as well. Other than that, I'm at a loss...if you get screens from your other programs, but not SPWAW, then it must be a setting that is in conflict when the game runs.
ImageImage
Riun T
Posts: 1848
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:22 pm

RE: I suck

Post by Riun T »

I'm also confused to the screenshot u did manage to get of the steel panthers screen, is your machine giving u that picture {weird colors and such} in game??? or just screwed colors when u try to screenshot??
Riun T
Posts: 1848
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:22 pm

RE: I suck

Post by Riun T »

Also I think HYPER uses the "F" keys as does SPWAW so make sure thats not the conflict zone in the process.
Kuokkanen
Posts: 3752
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:16 pm

RE: I suck

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Riun T

I'm also confused to the screenshot u did manage to get of the steel panthers screen, is your machine giving u that picture {weird colors and such} in game??? or just screwed colors when u try to screenshot??
Game looks right, screenshot doesn't.

Also I think HYPER uses the "F" keys as does SPWAW so make sure thats not the conflict zone in the process.
I imitated Flashfyre and mapped it to Home key.

I've also tried other screen capture programs. I got shot with one and it's as much messed up like with Print Screen and paste to Paint. I haven't got that far with others. I keep trying other programs, becouse I really want help for one Long Campaign scenario before I keep going with it.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Riun T
Posts: 1848
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:22 pm

RE: I suck

Post by Riun T »

matti would u like me to do a screenshoted example of how I make the gimp work? that way u can see the steps I use.
Post Reply

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”