TRIVIA #2

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

bradfordkay
Posts: 8686
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2002 8:39 am
Location: Olympia, WA

RE: TRIVIA #2

Post by bradfordkay »

Definitely D.
fair winds,
Brad
Ian R
Posts: 3442
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Cammeraygal Country

RE: TRIVIA #2

Post by Ian R »

D
 
"I am Alfred"
User avatar
trojan58
Posts: 275
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:20 am
Location: bendigo, Victoria, Australia

RE: TRIVIA #2

Post by trojan58 »

B
There are two types of ships in the world

Submarines and Targets

D.B.F
sanch
Posts: 428
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:55 am

RE: TRIVIA #2

Post by sanch »

E - cause I've read enough about the history of the other places - and I don't recall any of them saying anything about this fort.
User avatar
Local Yokel
Posts: 1494
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:55 pm
Location: Somerset, U.K.

RE: TRIVIA #2

Post by Local Yokel »

C - Because it's the outcast no-one else has picked.  Also, '1902' suggests a date shortly after the Spanish-American War, through which I think the US acquired Guam.
Image
User avatar
Feinder
Posts: 7204
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 7:33 pm
Location: Land o' Lakes, FL

RE: TRIVIA #2

Post by Feinder »

Because it's the outcast no-one else has picked. Also, '1902' suggests a date shortly after the Spanish-American War, through which I think the US acquired Guam

And the Philipines... [;)]

(* shrug *)

I really don't know tho.

-F-
"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

Image
User avatar
Andrew Brown
Posts: 4087
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Hex 82,170
Contact:

RE: TRIVIA #2

Post by Andrew Brown »

Not Singers. Definitely not Rabaul or Brisbane. Being entirely ignorant of Philippine architecture I am going to have to toss a coin.....

...Guam (C)?
Information about my WitP map, and CHS, can be found on my WitP website

Image
User avatar
niceguy2005
Posts: 12522
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:53 pm
Location: Super secret hidden base

RE: TRIVIA #2

Post by niceguy2005 »

Now that I have guessed AND THEN googled it, when do we get the official answer? I would like to hear what others have to say about the fort.
Image
Artwork graciously provided by Dixie
User avatar
Mynok
Posts: 12108
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2002 12:12 am
Contact:

RE: TRIVIA #2

Post by Mynok »


Clark.
"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
User avatar
DSwain
Posts: 173
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:16 pm
Location: United Kingdom

RE: TRIVIA #2

Post by DSwain »

I'm going to go with B due to the German connection
Image
Knavey
Posts: 2565
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2002 4:25 am
Location: Valrico, Florida

RE: TRIVIA #2

Post by Knavey »

And the correct answer is D. Good job to those that got it correctly! Seeadler after only 13 minutes!



My source was An Annotated Pictorial History of Clark Air Base: 1899-1986.



I found out this bit of trivia when I was looking for a shot of the airfield.

It was in fact established by American cavalry forces stationed in the Philipines and named after Captain John Stotsenburg who was killed in action in the PI in 1899.


x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"
Knavey
Posts: 2565
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2002 4:25 am
Location: Valrico, Florida

RE: TRIVIA #2

Post by Knavey »

PS...
 
Apparently those pillars pictured in the photo were used as filler to repair the runways when the Japanese took over.  Sometime in the '60s they were unearthed and are once again displayed at the site.
 
Anyone ever been there or seen them?
x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"
User avatar
Dutch_slith
Posts: 336
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:21 am
Location: the Netherlands

RE: TRIVIA #2

Post by Dutch_slith »

ORIGINAL: Knavey

RULES: No looking up the answer before posting your response. Guesses only or first hand knowledge. I will post my source later so you cannot get a clue from the title.


Fort Stotsenburg (the alias of a popular WitP site) is located where?

a) Singapore
b) Rabaul
c) Guam
d) Clark
e) Brisbane



Image

d) Clark Field
Image
User avatar
Charbroiled
Posts: 1181
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:50 pm
Location: Oregon

RE: TRIVIA #2

Post by Charbroiled »

Here is a picture from Wikipedia. Same view....different background. Or maybe from the opposite direction?

Image
Attachments
FortStotsenburg.jpg
FortStotsenburg.jpg (84.75 KiB) Viewed 262 times
"When I said I would run, I meant 'away' ". - Orange
juliet7bravo
Posts: 893
Joined: Wed May 30, 2001 8:00 am

RE: TRIVIA #2

Post by juliet7bravo »

xxx
User avatar
Don Bowen
Posts: 5192
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Georgetown, Texas, USA

RE: TRIVIA #2

Post by Don Bowen »


This is the old main gain to Fort Stotsenburg - location of Clark Field.

I was there in 1967. My Father was there in 1945.

Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”