French Frigate Shoals... between Hawaii and Midway. In WITP could be used for 150 AC before overcrowding...
Actually, I think it's an AF-0(1), which means you can build it to an AF-4, 200 aircraft, without over-crowding...
[;)]
-F-
Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami
French Frigate Shoals... between Hawaii and Midway. In WITP could be used for 150 AC before overcrowding...
Post by Charbroiled »
ORIGINAL: Feinder
French Frigate Shoals... between Hawaii and Midway. In WITP could be used for 150 AC before overcrowding...
Actually, I think it's an AF-0(1), which means you can build it to an AF-4, 200 aircraft, without over-crowding...
[;)]
-F-
Post by Speedysteve »
ORIGINAL: Feinder
I recall reading an article that it actually was bigger than that little spit that you see in the photo, during WW2. Naturally, it was bit of land and surrouding shallows. During the war, they built it up quite a bit, and created the AF. It was also -maintained-. However, the "normal" state of erosion has melted away pretty much everything but the runway. I doubt the fully operational island was very much to begin with, but the picture of just the runway is a little misleading.
If you pull up pics of Baker (max AF-4) and Canton (max AF-5) islands in WitP (everybody's PBEM favorites), they're (also) quite tiny.
-F-
Post by MineSweeper »
I wonder how long it would take....I have been building an airfield at Tori Shima for over 3 years and it is still not level 3.....plenty of supplies and construction crews....[:@]ORIGINAL: Feinder
French Frigate Shoals... between Hawaii and Midway. In WITP could be used for 150 AC before overcrowding...
Actually, I think it's an AF-0(1), which means you can build it to an AF-4, 200 aircraft, without over-crowding...
[;)]
-F-

I wonder how long it would take....I have been building an airfield at Tori Shima for over 3 years and it is still not level 3.....plenty of supplies and construction crews....
I wonder what happens to that airfield after a large storm comes through
Within the Coast Guard, French Frigate Shoals was the ultimate isolated duty, often referred to when threats were made to ship someone to the middle of nowhere
Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”




